|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Raymond and Mama pray for to help the cotton grow?
2. What church does the family return to in this chapter?
3. What does Miss Ola allow Essie to sleep in?
4. What does Raymond decide to become at the beginning of the chapter?
5. What does Mama go to fetch in Florida?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does O'Quinn's death affect Anne?
2. How does the family earn enough money for new school clothes?
3. Why is Anne disgusted with the work at the chicken factory?
4. What is the Mississippi project?
5. Why did Leonara have to leave the plantation where she lived?
6. How does Anne's mother respond to her joining the NAACP?
7. How does Anne encourage people to vote in Chapter 23?
8. How does Essie get her name changed in Chapter 9?
9. How have Anne's ideas changed by the end of the book?
10. How does Anne show her strong nature when she joins the basketball team in Chapter 17?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Moody's writing style. How would you describe her prose style? What kind of vocabulary does she use? Does she use any specific writing techniques? What meaning does Moody's style give to her story?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the values of 1960's.
1) Why did Afro American politics come to the fore during this time ?
2) What significant changes do you think occurred during this period?
3) Does today's society share any values with 1960's America?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the demonstrations Moody describes in the book and examine how impact this event had on the Civil Rights Movements as a whole. What was the public's initial reaction to the demonstration? What media attention did it receive?
This section contains 1,309 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)