|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes Essie sad in this chapter?
2. What does Anne have enough money to buy when she arrives home?
3. Who is killed in this chapter?
4. What does the family not have enough money to buy?
5. How are Ed's younger brothers different from the rest of the family?
Short Essay Questions
1. What ruins Anne's graduation?
2. Describe Anne's routine in Chapter 13.
3. Describe Anne's first night in New Orleans in Chapter 27.
4. Describe the working conditions at the chicken factory.
5. Why does Raymond have to stop farming in Chapter 6?
6. How does Anne spend her first paycheck?
7. Describe Mr and Mrs Chinn.
8. What is the Mississippi project?
9. In what way are Anne and her friends discriminated against in Chapter 21?
10. Why does Essie refuse to eat Miss Ola's food?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss differences between the novel and autobiography formats. What are the main elements of a novel? What are the main elements of an autobiography? What can novelists express that an autobiographer cannot? How can autobiographies keep to the facts while still maintaining a level of entertainment?
Essay Topic 2
Examine black femininity.
1) In what way could female Afro Americans be seen as among the oppressed people in America in the first part of the twentieth century?
2) How does Anne use her mother's character to highlight the oppression?
3) What difference did Anne Moody make to Afro American women's lives?
Essay Topic 3
Why did President Kennedy represent great hope for Afro-Americans? How did his death affect the Afro-American community? How do you think things would have been different if President Kennedy had lived?
This section contains 1,260 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)