|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What organization does Anne hear about in this chapter?
2. Who looks after Essie Mae and her sister while their parents are at work?
3. What does Mama go to fetch in Florida?
4. What do the whites claim started the fire at the Taplins' house?
5. What does Essie's father spend his free time doing?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Essie Mae's mother think the house is dangerous in Chapter 2?
2. Describe Anne's time as a dish washer in Chapter 15.
3. How does Anne take her mind off what is happening in Centreville?
4. Describe Essie Mae's early life.
5. How is life starting to get tough for the family?
6. What are Essie Mae's initial fears about working in the cotton fields?
7. Why does Mama decide to change churches in Chapter 5?
8. Why does Essie Mae like the house in Chapter 3 the best?
9. Describe Anne's life when she arrives back in Centreville.
10. Describe the house Raymond builds in Chapter 4.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What events in Moody's early life influenced her decision to become a leading proponent in the Civil Rights Movement? How different do the students think Moody's life would been if she had not grown up in poverty?
Essay Topic 2
How did the Civil Rights Movement improve life for Afro Americans? What was life like for Afro Amaerican before the Civil Rights Movement?
Essay Topic 3
Why did President Kennedy represent great hope for Afro-Americans? How did his death affect the Afro-American community? How do you think things would have been different if President Kennedy had lived?
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)