|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of creature often comes out of the swamp?
2. What does Miss Ola allow Essie to sleep in?
3. What does Essie get chosen to be in this chapter?
4. How does Essie's father punish her in the opening chapter?
5. Who is killed in this chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way is life getting better for Essie and her family in Chapter 4?
2. Describe the house Raymond builds in Chapter 4.
3. How is life starting to get tough for the family?
4. How do Essie's old, tight-fitting clothes benefit her in Chapter 8?
5. What are Essie Mae's initial fears about working in the cotton fields?
6. How does Mrs. Burke react to Anne's comments on school integration?
7. Why does Essie refuse to eat Miss Ola's food?
8. Describe Anne's routine in Chapter 13.
9. Why does Mama decide to change churches in Chapter 5?
10. How does Anne take her mind off what is happening in Centreville?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a 500-word essay revolving around the following the following statement: Though the Civil Rights Movement was an esssential part of creating a better life for Afro Americans, in the end the non violent measures lost their impact and a more forceful approach was needed.
Essay Topic 2
What events in Moody's early life influenced her decision to become a leading proponent in the Civil Rights Movement? How different do the students think Moody's life would been if she had not grown up in poverty?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the demonstrations Moody describes in the book and examine how impact this event had on the Civil Rights Movements as a whole. What was the public's initial reaction to the demonstration? What media attention did it receive?
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)