|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where should blacks go in the movie theater?
2. What is the name of Anne's teacher in this chapter?
3. What does Essie watch the white children doing?
4. Who do the blacks claim the fire was meant to scare?
5. What is Mr. Jenkins' father known as?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Essie Mae think of the Centreville Bapist Church?
2. How have Anne's ideas changed by the end of the book?
3. What ruins Anne's graduation?
4. Why is Anne disgusted with the work at the chicken factory?
5. How are things starting to turn bad in Canton in Chapter 26?
6. How does Anne's strong personality help her at her new college?
7. How does Anne encourage people to vote in Chapter 23?
8. How is Samuel O'Quinn murdered?
9. How do Essie's old, tight-fitting clothes benefit her in Chapter 8?
10. Describe Anne's life when she arrives back in Centreville.
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the demonstrations Moody describes in the book and examine how impact this event had on the Civil Rights Movements as a whole. What was the public's initial reaction to the demonstration? What media attention did it receive?
Essay Topic 2
What events in Moody's early life influenced her decision to become a leading proponent in the Civil Rights Movement? How different do the students think Moody's life would been if she had not grown up in poverty?
Essay Topic 3
Compare Moody's character to her mother's character. What are their similarities and differences? What did Anne learn from her mother? How did Anne's mother's situation and personality motivate her?
This section contains 1,313 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)