|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Miss Ola allow Essie to sleep in?
2. What does Essie watch the white children doing?
3. What does Anne have enough money to buy when she arrives home?
4. What do Raymond and Mama pray for to help the cotton grow?
5. Who beats up Jerry?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Essie Mae's initial fears about working in the cotton fields?
2. How does Essie get her name changed in Chapter 9?
3. How does the family earn enough money for new school clothes?
4. How do Essie's old, tight-fitting clothes benefit her in Chapter 8?
5. What rumors spread about who started the fire in Chapter 11?
6. Why does Mama decide to change churches in Chapter 5?
7. Describe the working conditions at the chicken factory.
8. How is life starting to get tough for the family?
9. What event opens Anne's eyes to racial injustice in Chapter 10?
10. What terrible event occurs in Chapter 11?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss with the students first person point of view. Why do the students think first person point of view is not necessarily reliable? What moments in the book do the students think are not so reliable and why? With the students discuss the advantages and disadvantages of using the first person.
Essay Topic 2
How did the Civil Rights Movement improve life for Afro Americans? What was life like for Afro Amaerican before the Civil Rights Movement?
Essay Topic 3
Identify the main themes of the story. Why do you think these themes are so important to the story? How does Moody use character and setting to express her themes?
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)