|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Anne have to pull out from the chickens?
2. What does Anne earn four dollars a week doing?
3. Who looks after Essie Mae and her sister while their parents are at work?
4. Who does Anne begin to work for in this chapter?
5. Whose house does Essie go to to pick up a letter?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way is life getting better for Essie and her family in Chapter 4?
2. How does the family earn enough money for new school clothes?
3. What terrible event occurs in Chapter 11?
4. How does Essie Mae's father cause the family problems?
5. Describe the house Raymond builds in Chapter 4.
6. What rumors spread about who started the fire in Chapter 11?
7. What happens to Anne in Baton Rogue?
8. Why does Raymond have to stop farming in Chapter 6?
9. Why does Essie refuse to eat Miss Ola's food?
10. Describe Anne's routine in Chapter 13.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss differences between the novel and autobiography formats. What are the main elements of a novel? What are the main elements of an autobiography? What can novelists express that an autobiographer cannot? How can autobiographies keep to the facts while still maintaining a level of entertainment?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss with the students first person point of view. Why do the students think first person point of view is not necessarily reliable? What moments in the book do the students think are not so reliable and why? With the students discuss the advantages and disadvantages of using the first person.
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the demonstrations Moody describes in the book and examine how impact this event had on the Civil Rights Movements as a whole. What was the public's initial reaction to the demonstration? What media attention did it receive?
This section contains 809 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)