|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of dance does Anne perform in this chapter?
2. How are Ed's younger brothers different from the rest of the family?
3. What is the name of Raymond's mother?
4. What lesson does Anne take twice a week?
5. What are the chickens attached to as they go past?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Anne's life change at the beginning of Chapter 18?
2. Why did Leonara have to leave the plantation where she lived?
3. How have Anne's ideas changed by the end of the book?
4. Describe Anne's life when she arrives back in Centreville.
5. Why does Mama decide to change churches in Chapter 5?
6. Describe the march in Chapter 29.
7. Why is the car ride with Reverend King so tense?
8. Why does Essie refuse to eat Miss Ola's food?
9. How are things starting to turn bad in Canton in Chapter 26?
10. Describe Essie Mae's early life.
Essay Topic 1
Examine Moody's writing style. How would you describe her prose style? What kind of vocabulary does she use? Does she use any specific writing techniques? What meaning does Moody's style give to her story?
Essay Topic 2
What events in Moody's early life influenced her decision to become a leading proponent in the Civil Rights Movement? How different do the students think Moody's life would been if she had not grown up in poverty?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the famous people Anne Moody depicts in the book and examine his/her impact on the Civil Rights Movement.
1) What were his/her beliefs?
2) How did he/she communicate their beleifs to the nature?
3) What impact did he/she have on the Civil Rights movement?
This section contains 1,372 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)