|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Raymond's sister?
2. Which of the following rooms does the new house not have?
3. What do Raymond and Mama pray for to help the cotton grow?
4. What is Jerry accused of doing?
5. What kind of chicken can Anne no longer eat?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Anne in Baton Rogue?
2. How is life starting to get tough for the family?
3. Describe Anne's routine in Chapter 13.
4. Describe the working conditions at the chicken factory.
5. How does the family earn enough money for new school clothes?
6. Why does Essie Mae's mother think the house is dangerous in Chapter 2?
7. How does Mrs. Burke react to Anne's comments on school integration?
8. How does Essie get her name changed in Chapter 9?
9. Describe Anne's life when she arrives back in Centreville.
10. What terrible event occurs in Chapter 11?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify the main themes of the story. Why do you think these themes are so important to the story? How does Moody use character and setting to express her themes?
Essay Topic 2
Examine Moody's upbringing and write 500 words about how her upbringing molded her into the strong and pro active person that she became.
Essay Topic 3
Write a 500-word essay revolving around the following the following statement: Though the Civil Rights Movement was an esssential part of creating a better life for Afro Americans, in the end the non violent measures lost their impact and a more forceful approach was needed.
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)