|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Essie watch the white children doing?
2. What is the name of Anne's teacher in this chapter?
3. What subject does Anne teach Wayne and his friends?
4. What is the name does Mama give her new baby boy?
5. What does the family do with the money it earns picking pecans?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Essie refuse to eat Miss Ola's food?
2. How does Essie's family afford to buy her a new dress as Homecoming Queen in Chapter 8?
3. In what way is life getting better for Essie and her family in Chapter 4?
4. Describe Anne's routine in Chapter 13.
5. Why does Essie Mae's mother think the house is dangerous in Chapter 2?
6. In what way is Linda kind to Essie in Chapter 7?
7. Why is Anne disgusted with the work at the chicken factory?
8. How does Mrs. Burke react to Anne's comments on school integration?
9. Why does Mama need Raymond?
10. What are Essie Mae's initial fears about working in the cotton fields?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the demonstrations Moody describes in the book and examine how impact this event had on the Civil Rights Movements as a whole. What was the public's initial reaction to the demonstration? What media attention did it receive?
Essay Topic 2
Why did President Kennedy represent great hope for Afro-Americans? How did his death affect the Afro-American community? How do you think things would have been different if President Kennedy had lived?
Essay Topic 3
What events in Moody's early life influenced her decision to become a leading proponent in the Civil Rights Movement? How different do the students think Moody's life would been if she had not grown up in poverty?
This section contains 782 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)