Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Anne have enough money to buy when she arrives home?
2. What does Anne have to pull out from the chickens?
3. What does Essie pick at Mr. Wheeler's farm?
4. What do the whites claim started the fire at the Taplins' house?
5. Where does Anne find work in this chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What turns Anne away from God in Chapter 25?
2. What rumors spread about who started the fire in Chapter 11?
3. Why is Anne disgusted with the work at the chicken factory?
4. How does Anne's mother respond to her joining the NAACP?
5. What does Essie Mae think of the Centreville Bapist Church?
6. What is the Mississippi project?
7. Why does Essie Mae like the house in Chapter 3 the best?
8. Describe the house Raymond builds in Chapter 4.
9. In what way is life getting better for Essie and her family in Chapter 4?
10. Why does Mama decide to change churches in Chapter 5?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss with the students first person point of view. Why do the students think first person point of view is not necessarily reliable? What moments in the book do the students think are not so reliable and why? With the students discuss the advantages and disadvantages of using the first person.
Essay Topic 2
Identify the main themes of the story. Why do you think these themes are so important to the story? How does Moody use character and setting to express her themes?
Essay Topic 3
Examine black femininity.
1) In what way could female Afro Americans be seen as among the oppressed people in America in the first part of the twentieth century?
2) How does Anne use her mother's character to highlight the oppression?
3) What difference did Anne Moody make to Afro American women's lives?
This section contains 766 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)