|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Raymond and Mama pray for to help the cotton grow?
2. Where should blacks go in the movie theater?
3. For what does Miss Claiborne give Essie $12?
4. What does Mrs Burke accuse Junior of in this chapter?
5. What does Essie watch the white children doing?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Anne's time as a dish washer in Chapter 15.
2. What happens to Anne in Baton Rogue?
3. Why does Essie refuse to eat Miss Ola's food?
4. How does Essie get her name changed in Chapter 9?
5. Describe Essie Mae's early life.
6. Why does Anne fear for her life in Chapter 10?
7. How does Mrs. Burke react to Anne's comments on school integration?
8. Describe the house Raymond builds in Chapter 4.
9. Why does Raymond have to stop farming in Chapter 6?
10. Why does Essie Mae like the house in Chapter 3 the best?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Moody's writing style. How would you describe her prose style? What kind of vocabulary does she use? Does she use any specific writing techniques? What meaning does Moody's style give to her story?
Essay Topic 2
Examine black femininity.
1) In what way could female Afro Americans be seen as among the oppressed people in America in the first part of the twentieth century?
2) How does Anne use her mother's character to highlight the oppression?
3) What difference did Anne Moody make to Afro American women's lives?
Essay Topic 3
How do Anne's Christian beliefs influence her approach to fighting racism? How does Anne's approach change when she lost her faith?
This section contains 768 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)