|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the family do with the money it earns picking pecans?
2. What does Miss Ola allow Essie to sleep in?
3. What does Mama go to fetch in Florida?
4. What is the name of Linda Jean's mother?
5. What does Essie get chosen to be in this chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Anne disgusted with the work at the chicken factory?
2. Describe the working conditions at the chicken factory.
3. Why does Raymond have to stop farming in Chapter 6?
4. What event opens Anne's eyes to racial injustice in Chapter 10?
5. Why does Essie refuse to eat Miss Ola's food?
6. What are Essie Mae's initial fears about working in the cotton fields?
7. Why does Anne fear for her life in Chapter 10?
8. Describe Anne's life when she arrives back in Centreville.
9. What does Essie Mae think of the Centreville Bapist Church?
10. What happens to Anne in Baton Rogue?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Look at the structure of the book.
1) Discuss elements of the narrative structure: Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's ideas?
2) Examine the way Moody uses other people in the story to express her ideas.
Essay Topic 2
How did the Civil Rights Movement improve life for Afro Americans? What was life like for Afro Amaerican before the Civil Rights Movement?
Essay Topic 3
Examine Moody's writing style. How would you describe her prose style? What kind of vocabulary does she use? Does she use any specific writing techniques? What meaning does Moody's style give to her story?
This section contains 753 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)