|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who buys Essie a new dress in this chapter?
2. Where does Anne find work in this chapter?
3. Who kills Emmet Till?
4. How does Essie impress the white children?
5. What kind of chicken can Anne no longer eat?
Short Essay Questions
1. What rumors spread about who started the fire in Chapter 11?
2. What event opens Anne's eyes to racial injustice in Chapter 10?
3. Describe Anne's time as a dish washer in Chapter 15.
4. Why does Essie Mae like the house in Chapter 3 the best?
5. Why does Mama need Raymond?
6. Why does Essie Mae's mother think the house is dangerous in Chapter 2?
7. How does Essie get her name changed in Chapter 9?
8. What are Essie Mae's initial fears about working in the cotton fields?
9. In what way is Linda kind to Essie in Chapter 7?
10. What does Essie Mae think of the Centreville Bapist Church?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the values of 1960's.
1) Why did Afro American politics come to the fore during this time ?
2) What significant changes do you think occurred during this period?
3) Does today's society share any values with 1960's America?
Essay Topic 2
How do Anne's Christian beliefs influence her approach to fighting racism? How does Anne's approach change when she lost her faith?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the demonstrations Moody describes in the book and examine how impact this event had on the Civil Rights Movements as a whole. What was the public's initial reaction to the demonstration? What media attention did it receive?
This section contains 752 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)