|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Raymond and Mama pray for to help the cotton grow?
2. What does Essie love hearing at Centreville Church?
3. What trend does Essie start at school?
4. Why does Mrs. Burke send Anne home in this chapter?
5. Where does Anne find work in this chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mama decide to change churches in Chapter 5?
2. How does Essie Mae's father cause the family problems?
3. In what way is life getting better for Essie and her family in Chapter 4?
4. Why does Mama need Raymond?
5. How does Anne take her mind off what is happening in Centreville?
6. What does Essie Mae think of the Centreville Bapist Church?
7. Why is Anne disgusted with the work at the chicken factory?
8. What rumors spread about who started the fire in Chapter 11?
9. In what way is Linda kind to Essie in Chapter 7?
10. How do Essie's old, tight-fitting clothes benefit her in Chapter 8?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Moody's upbringing and write 500 words about how her upbringing molded her into the strong and pro active person that she became.
Essay Topic 2
What major events had a profound affect on Moody's life and how did they change her? What does Moody still have to learn by the end of the book?
Essay Topic 3
Why did President Kennedy represent great hope for Afro-Americans? How did his death affect the Afro-American community? How do you think things would have been different if President Kennedy had lived?
This section contains 753 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)