|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what does Miss Claiborne give Essie $12?
2. What organization does Anne hear about in this chapter?
3. Why does Essie think her family holds a position of honor in their new neighborhood?
4. What does Essie's father spend his free time doing?
5. What does Essie pick at Mr. Wheeler's farm?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the family earn enough money for new school clothes?
2. Why does Raymond have to stop farming in Chapter 6?
3. Why does Mama need Raymond?
4. What terrible event occurs in Chapter 11?
5. In what way is life getting better for Essie and her family in Chapter 4?
6. Describe Anne's life when she arrives back in Centreville.
7. Describe the working conditions at the chicken factory.
8. Describe Anne's time as a dish washer in Chapter 15.
9. In what way is Linda kind to Essie in Chapter 7?
10. Why does Essie Mae's mother think the house is dangerous in Chapter 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the values of 1960's.
1) Why did Afro American politics come to the fore during this time ?
2) What significant changes do you think occurred during this period?
3) Does today's society share any values with 1960's America?
Essay Topic 2
Compare Moody's character to her mother's character. What are their similarities and differences? What did Anne learn from her mother? How did Anne's mother's situation and personality motivate her?
Essay Topic 3
Why did President Kennedy represent great hope for Afro-Americans? How did his death affect the Afro-American community? How do you think things would have been different if President Kennedy had lived?
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)