|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where should blacks go in the movie theater?
2. What kind of work does Raymond do in Chapter 2?
3. What does Essie love hearing at Centreville Church?
4. Where does Anne find work in this chapter?
5. What is the name of Mrs. Burke's son?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the family earn enough money for new school clothes?
2. Why does Essie Mae like the house in Chapter 3 the best?
3. Why does Mama need Raymond?
4. How is life starting to get tough for the family?
5. How does Essie's family afford to buy her a new dress as Homecoming Queen in Chapter 8?
6. Describe Anne's life when she arrives back in Centreville.
7. Why does Mama decide to change churches in Chapter 5?
8. What are Essie Mae's initial fears about working in the cotton fields?
9. Describe the working conditions at the chicken factory.
10. Why is Anne disgusted with the work at the chicken factory?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify the main themes of the story. Why do you think these themes are so important to the story? How does Moody use character and setting to express her themes?
Essay Topic 2
Compare Moody's character to her mother's character. What are their similarities and differences? What did Anne learn from her mother? How did Anne's mother's situation and personality motivate her?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the values of 1960's.
1) Why did Afro American politics come to the fore during this time ?
2) What significant changes do you think occurred during this period?
3) Does today's society share any values with 1960's America?
This section contains 721 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)