|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Essie learn was once in prison?
2. Who does Anne work for in this chapter?
3. What does Raymond find in the field?
4. Whose house does Essie go to to pick up a letter?
5. What does Essie love hearing at Centreville Church?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Anne disgusted with the work at the chicken factory?
2. What does Essie Mae think of the Centreville Bapist Church?
3. How does Essie get her name changed in Chapter 9?
4. How does Essie's family afford to buy her a new dress as Homecoming Queen in Chapter 8?
5. Why does Raymond have to stop farming in Chapter 6?
6. Why does Essie Mae's mother think the house is dangerous in Chapter 2?
7. Describe the house Raymond builds in Chapter 4.
8. How does Anne take her mind off what is happening in Centreville?
9. Why does Essie refuse to eat Miss Ola's food?
10. What happens to Anne in Baton Rogue?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do Anne's Christian beliefs influence her approach to fighting racism? How does Anne's approach change when she lost her faith?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss with the students first person point of view. Why do the students think first person point of view is not necessarily reliable? What moments in the book do the students think are not so reliable and why? With the students discuss the advantages and disadvantages of using the first person.
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the demonstrations Moody describes in the book and examine how impact this event had on the Civil Rights Movements as a whole. What was the public's initial reaction to the demonstration? What media attention did it receive?
This section contains 784 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)