|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who do the blacks claim the fire was meant to scare?
2. What do Anne's school friends call her?
3. Where do Essie's parents work?
4. What are the chickens attached to as they go past?
5. What do the whites claim started the fire at the Taplins' house?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Anne's life when she arrives back in Centreville.
2. Why does Essie Mae's mother think the house is dangerous in Chapter 2?
3. Why does Raymond have to stop farming in Chapter 6?
4. What rumors spread about who started the fire in Chapter 11?
5. How is life starting to get tough for the family?
6. Why is Anne disgusted with the work at the chicken factory?
7. Describe the working conditions at the chicken factory.
8. What happens to Anne in Baton Rogue?
9. What terrible event occurs in Chapter 11?
10. Describe Anne's routine in Chapter 13.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify the main themes of the story. Why do you think these themes are so important to the story? How does Moody use character and setting to express her themes?
Essay Topic 2
Why did President Kennedy represent great hope for Afro-Americans? How did his death affect the Afro-American community? How do you think things would have been different if President Kennedy had lived?
Essay Topic 3
Examine black femininity.
1) In what way could female Afro Americans be seen as among the oppressed people in America in the first part of the twentieth century?
2) How does Anne use her mother's character to highlight the oppression?
3) What difference did Anne Moody make to Afro American women's lives?
This section contains 786 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)