|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What organization does Anne hear about in this chapter?
2. What does Essie watch the white children doing?
3. Who house is set ablaze in this chapter?
4. What does Raymond find in the field?
5. The boys say the pond is full of _______________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Essie's family afford to buy her a new dress as Homecoming Queen in Chapter 8?
2. What does Essie Mae think of the Centreville Bapist Church?
3. Why is Anne disgusted with the work at the chicken factory?
4. What terrible event occurs in Chapter 11?
5. In what way is Linda kind to Essie in Chapter 7?
6. Describe the house Raymond builds in Chapter 4.
7. How is life starting to get tough for the family?
8. In what way is life getting better for Essie and her family in Chapter 4?
9. What happens to Anne in Baton Rogue?
10. Why does Essie Mae like the house in Chapter 3 the best?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss with the students first person point of view. Why do the students think first person point of view is not necessarily reliable? What moments in the book do the students think are not so reliable and why? With the students discuss the advantages and disadvantages of using the first person.
Essay Topic 2
Look at the structure of the book.
1) Discuss elements of the narrative structure: Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's ideas?
2) Examine the way Moody uses other people in the story to express her ideas.
Essay Topic 3
Compare Moody's character to her mother's character. What are their similarities and differences? What did Anne learn from her mother? How did Anne's mother's situation and personality motivate her?
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)