|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What lesson does Anne take twice a week?
2. How are Ed's younger brothers different from the rest of the family?
3. Where do Essie's parents work?
4. What does Anne earn four dollars a week doing?
5. Where does Raymond head to find work?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Anne's routine in Chapter 13.
2. How does Essie Mae's father cause the family problems?
3. Why does Essie Mae's mother think the house is dangerous in Chapter 2?
4. What does Essie Mae think of the Centreville Bapist Church?
5. Describe Essie Mae's early life.
6. Describe the house Raymond builds in Chapter 4.
7. How is life starting to get tough for the family?
8. Describe the working conditions at the chicken factory.
9. Describe Anne's life when she arrives back in Centreville.
10. How does Essie's family afford to buy her a new dress as Homecoming Queen in Chapter 8?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare Moody's character to her mother's character. What are their similarities and differences? What did Anne learn from her mother? How did Anne's mother's situation and personality motivate her?
Essay Topic 2
Examine black femininity.
1) In what way could female Afro Americans be seen as among the oppressed people in America in the first part of the twentieth century?
2) How does Anne use her mother's character to highlight the oppression?
3) What difference did Anne Moody make to Afro American women's lives?
Essay Topic 3
Examine Moody's upbringing and write 500 words about how her upbringing molded her into the strong and pro active person that she became.
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)