|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Anne work for in this chapter?
2. What does Essie watch the white children doing?
3. Why does Essie not want to work in the fields?
4. Why does Anne get fired from her job?
5. What is the name of the Jenkins' youngest daughter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What terrible event occurs in Chapter 11?
2. How is life starting to get tough for the family?
3. Why does Essie refuse to eat Miss Ola's food?
4. Why does Raymond have to stop farming in Chapter 6?
5. How do Essie's old, tight-fitting clothes benefit her in Chapter 8?
6. Why does Anne fear for her life in Chapter 10?
7. Describe Anne's time as a dish washer in Chapter 15.
8. Why does Mama need Raymond?
9. What event opens Anne's eyes to racial injustice in Chapter 10?
10. Describe the house Raymond builds in Chapter 4.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What major events had a profound affect on Moody's life and how did they change her? What does Moody still have to learn by the end of the book?
Essay Topic 2
Examine Moody's writing style. How would you describe her prose style? What kind of vocabulary does she use? Does she use any specific writing techniques? What meaning does Moody's style give to her story?
Essay Topic 3
How did the Civil Rights Movement improve life for Afro Americans? What was life like for Afro Amaerican before the Civil Rights Movement?
This section contains 741 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)