|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Anne have enough money to buy when she arrives home?
2. What does Anne have to pull out from the chickens?
3. What does Essie pick at Mr. Wheeler's farm?
4. What do the whites claim started the fire at the Taplins' house?
5. Where does Anne find work in this chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What turns Anne away from God in Chapter 25?
2. What rumors spread about who started the fire in Chapter 11?
3. Why is Anne disgusted with the work at the chicken factory?
4. How does Anne's mother respond to her joining the NAACP?
5. What does Essie Mae think of the Centreville Bapist Church?
6. What is the Mississippi project?
7. Why does Essie Mae like the house in Chapter 3 the best?
8. Describe the house Raymond builds in Chapter 4.
9. In what way is life getting better for Essie and her family in Chapter 4?
10. Why does Mama decide to change churches in Chapter 5?
Essay Topic 1
Look at the structure of the book.
1) Discuss elements of the narrative structure: Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's ideas?
2) Examine the way Moody uses other people in the story to express her ideas.
Essay Topic 2
Examine Moody's writing style. How would you describe her prose style? What kind of vocabulary does she use? Does she use any specific writing techniques? What meaning does Moody's style give to her story?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the values of 1960's.
1) Why did Afro American politics come to the fore during this time ?
2) What significant changes do you think occurred during this period?
3) Does today's society share any values with 1960's America?
This section contains 1,313 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)