|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Anne's teacher in this chapter?
2. What does Mama go to fetch in Florida?
3. Which of the following rooms does the new house not have?
4. What kind of work does Raymond do in Chapter 2?
5. What kind of job does Anne get in Baton Rouge in this chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Essie Mae think of the Centreville Bapist Church?
2. Describe Anne's routine in Chapter 13.
3. Why does Essie Mae's mother think the house is dangerous in Chapter 2?
4. How does Essie Mae's father cause the family problems?
5. Why does Essie Mae like the house in Chapter 3 the best?
6. How does the family earn enough money for new school clothes?
7. How does Anne take her mind off what is happening in Centreville?
8. Describe Anne's life when she arrives back in Centreville.
9. How does Essie's family afford to buy her a new dress as Homecoming Queen in Chapter 8?
10. In what way is life getting better for Essie and her family in Chapter 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss differences between the novel and autobiography formats. What are the main elements of a novel? What are the main elements of an autobiography? What can novelists express that an autobiographer cannot? How can autobiographies keep to the facts while still maintaining a level of entertainment?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the famous people Anne Moody depicts in the book and examine his/her impact on the Civil Rights Movement.
1) What were his/her beliefs?
2) How did he/she communicate their beleifs to the nature?
3) What impact did he/she have on the Civil Rights movement?
Essay Topic 3
Identify the main themes of the story. Why do you think these themes are so important to the story? How does Moody use character and setting to express her themes?
This section contains 856 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)