|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is killed in this chapter?
2. What does Mama go to fetch in Florida?
3. What does the family do with the money it earns picking pecans?
4. What do Raymond and Mama pray for to help the cotton grow?
5. What subject does Anne teach Wayne and his friends?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Anne in Baton Rogue?
2. What event opens Anne's eyes to racial injustice in Chapter 10?
3. How does the family earn enough money for new school clothes?
4. Describe Essie Mae's early life.
5. Why does Raymond have to stop farming in Chapter 6?
6. What terrible event occurs in Chapter 11?
7. How do Essie's old, tight-fitting clothes benefit her in Chapter 8?
8. In what way is Linda kind to Essie in Chapter 7?
9. Why does Essie refuse to eat Miss Ola's food?
10. How does Essie Mae's father cause the family problems?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What major events had a profound affect on Moody's life and how did they change her? What does Moody still have to learn by the end of the book?
Essay Topic 2
Identify the main themes of the story. Why do you think these themes are so important to the story? How does Moody use character and setting to express her themes?
Essay Topic 3
Examine Moody's writing style. How would you describe her prose style? What kind of vocabulary does she use? Does she use any specific writing techniques? What meaning does Moody's style give to her story?
This section contains 793 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)