|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the family not have enough money to buy?
2. What is the name of Anne's teacher in this chapter?
3. Who does Anne begin to work for in this chapter?
4. What does Essie change her name to in this chapter?
5. Who does Essie learn was once in prison?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Essie Mae like the house in Chapter 3 the best?
2. Describe the house Raymond builds in Chapter 4.
3. Why is Anne disgusted with the work at the chicken factory?
4. Why does Raymond have to stop farming in Chapter 6?
5. What does Essie Mae think of the Centreville Bapist Church?
6. In what way is life getting better for Essie and her family in Chapter 4?
7. Why does Mama need Raymond?
8. Why does Essie Mae's mother think the house is dangerous in Chapter 2?
9. Why does Anne fear for her life in Chapter 10?
10. How does the family earn enough money for new school clothes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the demonstrations Moody describes in the book and examine how impact this event had on the Civil Rights Movements as a whole. What was the public's initial reaction to the demonstration? What media attention did it receive?
Essay Topic 2
Examine Moody's upbringing and write 500 words about how her upbringing molded her into the strong and pro active person that she became.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss differences between the novel and autobiography formats. What are the main elements of a novel? What are the main elements of an autobiography? What can novelists express that an autobiographer cannot? How can autobiographies keep to the facts while still maintaining a level of entertainment?
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)