|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Anne decide to work for Mrs Burke?
(a) She wants to buy new clothes.
(b) She likes her.
(c) She is bored.
(d) The family needs money.
2. How does Essie impress the white children?
(a) She knows sport statistics.
(b) She makes horse noises.
(c) She performs hand stands.
(d) She makes Indian noises.
3. What does Essie love hearing at Centreville Church?
(a) The choir
(b) The preacher
(c) The local gossip
(d) The radio
4. Why does Anne get fired from her job?
(a) She smokes in the store.
(b) She lies about her age.
(c) She steals clothes.
(d) She arrives late.
5. What kind of work does Raymond do in Chapter 2?
(a) He is a factory worker.
(b) He is a soldier.
(c) He is a farmer.
(d) He runs a cafe.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Essie stop working for Mrs Jenkins in this chapter?
2. What kind of job does Anne get in Baton Rouge in this chapter?
3. Who does Essie learn was once in prison?
4. What does Essie pick at Mr. Wheeler's farm?
5. Why does Essie think her family holds a position of honor in their new neighborhood?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Anne disappointed with the march in Chapter 24?
2. Why does Essie Mae like the house in Chapter 3 the best?
3. What happens to Anne and her friend at the bus depot?
4. How does Mrs. Burke react to Anne's comments on school integration?
5. Why does Essie Mae's mother think the house is dangerous in Chapter 2?
6. Why does Essie refuse to eat Miss Ola's food?
7. How are things starting to turn bad in Canton in Chapter 26?
8. How does Anne take her mind off what is happening in Centreville?
9. How does O'Quinn's death affect Anne?
10. How does Essie get her name changed in Chapter 9?
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)