|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of Mrs. Burke's son?
2. What does Essie love hearing at Centreville Church?
(a) The choir
(b) The preacher
(c) The local gossip
(d) The radio
3. What are the chickens attached to as they go past?
4. Where does Anne find work in this chapter?
(a) Ourso's Department Store
(b) The Art Cafe
(c) The Jackson Chicken Farm
(d) Restaurant Civilized
5. What do Raymond and Mama pray for to help the cotton grow?
(a) More animals
Short Answer Questions
1. What lesson does Anne take twice a week?
2. In what city does Anne look for work in this chapter?
3. How is Jennie Ann related to Essie?
4. What does the family not have enough money to buy?
5. How are Ed's younger brothers different from the rest of the family?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the working conditions at the chicken factory.
2. How does Anne take her mind off what is happening in Centreville?
3. In what way is life getting better for Essie and her family in Chapter 4?
4. Why does Raymond have to stop farming in Chapter 6?
5. Why does Mama need Raymond?
6. How does Essie Mae's father cause the family problems?
7. Why does Essie refuse to eat Miss Ola's food?
8. Why does Mama decide to change churches in Chapter 5?
9. Why does Essie Mae like the house in Chapter 3 the best?
10. What rumors spread about who started the fire in Chapter 11?
This section contains 689 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)