|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With whom does the Guild try and catch the sheriff?
(a) A Ku Klux Klan member
(b) A black woman
(c) A black man
(d) A Civil Rights leader
2. What do Anne's school friends call her?
3. What subject does Anne teach Wayne and his friends?
4. Where does Essie Mae spend most of her time hiding at school?
(a) The treehouse
(b) The cellar
(c) The outhouse
(d) The bushes
5. How does Essie's father punish her in the opening chapter?
(a) He stops her from leaving the house.
(b) He beats her.
(c) He sends her to work.
(d) He stops her weekly allowance.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Anne begin to work for in this chapter?
2. Who house is set ablaze in this chapter?
3. What does Essie's father spend his free time doing?
4. What is Mr. Jenkins' father known as?
5. What does Essie watch the white children doing?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Anne's time as a dish washer in Chapter 15.
2. How do Essie's old, tight-fitting clothes benefit her in Chapter 8?
3. What happens to Anne in Baton Rogue?
4. Why is Anne disgusted with the work at the chicken factory?
5. How is life starting to get tough for the family?
6. Why does Mama decide to change churches in Chapter 5?
7. What terrible event occurs in Chapter 11?
8. What are Essie Mae's initial fears about working in the cotton fields?
9. Why does Essie refuse to eat Miss Ola's food?
10. Why does Mama need Raymond?
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)