|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Essie not want to work in the fields?
(a) She wants to read.
(b) She wants to play with her friends.
(c) She does not like getting dirty.
(d) She does not tolerate the heat.
2. Why does Mrs. Burke send Anne home in this chapter?
(a) She is sick.
(b) She is listening to her conversation.
(c) She breaks a vase.
(d) She has no work for her.
3. What kind of creature often comes out of the swamp?
(a) A toad
(b) A snake
(c) A crocodile
(d) A lizard
4. Who does Anne work for in this chapter?
(a) Mrs. Jenkins
(b) Mrs. Burke
(c) Mrs. Hunt
(d) Mrs. Smith
5. What is the name of Mrs. Burke's son?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Essie watch the white children doing?
2. Who is killed in this chapter?
3. Where do Essie's parents work?
4. What do Anne's school friends call her?
5. What kind of shop does Mrs. Hunt own?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way is life getting better for Essie and her family in Chapter 4?
2. Describe Anne's life when she arrives back in Centreville.
3. What event opens Anne's eyes to racial injustice in Chapter 10?
4. Why does Raymond have to stop farming in Chapter 6?
5. How does Essie get her name changed in Chapter 9?
6. Describe Essie Mae's early life.
7. How does Essie Mae's father cause the family problems?
8. How does Essie's family afford to buy her a new dress as Homecoming Queen in Chapter 8?
9. What happens to Anne in Baton Rogue?
10. How is life starting to get tough for the family?
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)