|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What sports team does Anne join?
2. Why does Anne get fired from her job?
(a) She steals clothes.
(b) She lies about her age.
(c) She smokes in the store.
(d) She arrives late.
3. Where does Essie Mae spend most of her time hiding at school?
(a) The treehouse
(b) The cellar
(c) The bushes
(d) The outhouse
4. With whom does the Guild try and catch the sheriff?
(a) A Civil Rights leader
(b) A black woman
(c) A black man
(d) A Ku Klux Klan member
5. How does Essie impress the white children?
(a) She knows sport statistics.
(b) She performs hand stands.
(c) She makes Indian noises.
(d) She makes horse noises.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who beats up Jerry?
2. Who does Essie learn was once in prison?
3. Which of the following rooms does the new house not have?
4. What does Raymond decide to become at the beginning of the chapter?
5. What does the crowd sing at the parade?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Raymond have to stop farming in Chapter 6?
2. How does Essie's family afford to buy her a new dress as Homecoming Queen in Chapter 8?
3. Describe Essie Mae's early life.
4. Describe the working conditions at the chicken factory.
5. Why does Essie refuse to eat Miss Ola's food?
6. How does the family earn enough money for new school clothes?
7. Why does Anne fear for her life in Chapter 10?
8. Why does Mama decide to change churches in Chapter 5?
9. Why does Essie Mae like the house in Chapter 3 the best?
10. What event opens Anne's eyes to racial injustice in Chapter 10?
This section contains 751 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)