|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Essie impress the white children?
(a) She knows sport statistics.
(b) She makes horse noises.
(c) She makes Indian noises.
(d) She performs hand stands.
2. Who do the blacks claim the fire was meant to scare?
(a) The sheriff
(b) The white man next door
(c) The Ku Klux Clan
(d) The black community
3. What kind of factory does Anne work in in this chapter?
(a) A chicken factory
(b) A weapons factory
(c) A drinks factory
(d) A pie factory
4. How is Jennie Ann related to Essie?
(a) Her sister
(b) Her cousin
(c) Her half sister
(d) Her niece
5. What does Anne have to pull out from the chickens?
(a) Their brains
(b) Their guts
(c) Their feathers
(d) Their feet
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Anne get fired from her job?
2. Who beats up Jerry?
3. What kind of dance does Anne perform in this chapter?
4. What does Miss RIce tell Anne about in this chapter?
5. What does Miss Ola allow Essie to sleep in?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Essie Mae's early life.
2. How is life starting to get tough for the family?
3. Why is Anne disgusted with the work at the chicken factory?
4. What rumors spread about who started the fire in Chapter 11?
5. How does Essie Mae's father cause the family problems?
6. What terrible event occurs in Chapter 11?
7. How does Essie's family afford to buy her a new dress as Homecoming Queen in Chapter 8?
8. Why does Essie Mae like the house in Chapter 3 the best?
9. Why does Mama need Raymond?
10. How does Anne take her mind off what is happening in Centreville?
This section contains 784 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)