|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The boys say the pond is full of _______________.
(b) Cow dung
2. How is Jennie Ann related to Essie?
(a) Her niece
(b) Her cousin
(c) Her sister
(d) Her half sister
3. What kind of job does Anne get in Baton Rouge in this chapter?
(a) A dish washer
(b) A make up artist
(c) A runner
(d) A cleaner
4. How are Ed's younger brothers different from the rest of the family?
(a) They are disabled.
(b) They are white.
(c) They are albinos.
(d) They are Asian.
5. What kind of factory does Anne work in in this chapter?
(a) A chicken factory
(b) A weapons factory
(c) A drinks factory
(d) A pie factory
Short Answer Questions
1. Who do the blacks claim the fire was meant to scare?
2. Where is Essie baptized?
3. What does Mrs Burke accuse Junior of in this chapter?
4. In what city does Anne look for work in this chapter?
5. For what does Miss Claiborne give Essie $12?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Essie refuse to eat Miss Ola's food?
2. How have Anne's ideas changed by the end of the book?
3. What rumors spread about who started the fire in Chapter 11?
4. How has Mr. and Mrs. Chinn's situation changed in the final chapter?
5. Why does Anne stay on the campus after college has finished?
6. Why does Essie Mae like the house in Chapter 3 the best?
7. What does Essie Mae think of the Centreville Bapist Church?
8. In what way is Linda kind to Essie in Chapter 7?
9. How does Anne spend her first paycheck?
10. How does Anne show her strong nature when she joins the basketball team in Chapter 17?
This section contains 711 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)