|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Anne's school friends call her?
2. What is Lily White's real name?
3. What does Essie watch the white children doing?
(d) Playing ball
4. Why does Anne get fired from her job?
(a) She lies about her age.
(b) She steals clothes.
(c) She smokes in the store.
(d) She arrives late.
5. Where do Essie's parents work?
(a) A chicken farm
(b) A bomb factory
(c) The fields
(d) The local hospital
Short Answer Questions
1. Who buys Essie a new dress in this chapter?
2. What do the whites claim started the fire at the Taplins' house?
3. What organization does Anne hear about in this chapter?
4. What does Essie change her name to in this chapter?
5. Who do the blacks claim the fire was meant to scare?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Essie Mae's father cause the family problems?
2. Why does Mama decide to change churches in Chapter 5?
3. How does Essie's family afford to buy her a new dress as Homecoming Queen in Chapter 8?
4. What rumors spread about who started the fire in Chapter 11?
5. In what way is life getting better for Essie and her family in Chapter 4?
6. How do Essie's old, tight-fitting clothes benefit her in Chapter 8?
7. Describe Anne's routine in Chapter 13.
8. Why does Raymond have to stop farming in Chapter 6?
9. Why does Anne fear for her life in Chapter 10?
10. What event opens Anne's eyes to racial injustice in Chapter 10?
This section contains 794 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)