|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who house is set ablaze in this chapter?
(a) The Taplins
(b) The Robinsons
(c) The Smiths
(d) The Diamonds
2. What color frame does Essie's new house have?
3. How is Ed related to Mama?
(a) Her cousin
(b) Her nephew
(c) Her step father
(d) Her brother
4. Who does Anne work for in this chapter?
(a) Mrs. Smith
(b) Mrs. Jenkins
(c) Mrs. Burke
(d) Mrs. Hunt
5. Why does Anne get fired from her job?
(a) She lies about her age.
(b) She smokes in the store.
(c) She steals clothes.
(d) She arrives late.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of job does Anne get in Baton Rouge in this chapter?
2. Who does Anne begin working for at the end of this chapter?
3. What is Lily White's real name?
4. What is the name of the Jenkins' youngest daughter?
5. Which of the following rooms does the new house not have?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the working conditions at the chicken factory.
2. What terrible event occurs in Chapter 11?
3. Why does Essie Mae's mother think the house is dangerous in Chapter 2?
4. Describe Essie Mae's early life.
5. Why does Essie Mae like the house in Chapter 3 the best?
6. How does Essie get her name changed in Chapter 9?
7. How does Anne take her mind off what is happening in Centreville?
8. In what way is Linda kind to Essie in Chapter 7?
9. Why does Anne fear for her life in Chapter 10?
10. What are Essie Mae's initial fears about working in the cotton fields?
This section contains 688 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)