|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the family not have enough money to buy?
(a) More animals
(b) Cotton seeds
(d) New school clothes
2. What sports team does Anne join?
3. Where do Essie's parents work?
(a) The local hospital
(b) The fields
(c) A chicken farm
(d) A bomb factory
4. What is the name of Mrs. Burke's son?
5. What kind of dance does Anne perform in this chapter?
(a) A pole dance
(b) A belly dance
(c) The samba
(d) An African dance
Short Answer Questions
1. What church does the family return to in this chapter?
2. What subject does Anne teach Wayne and his friends?
3. In what city does Anne look for work in this chapter?
4. Why does Essie stop working for Mrs Jenkins in this chapter?
5. What is the name does Mama give her new baby boy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What terrible event occurs in Chapter 11?
2. Describe the house Raymond builds in Chapter 4.
3. Why does Mama need Raymond?
4. Describe Essie Mae's early life.
5. What are Essie Mae's initial fears about working in the cotton fields?
6. Why is Anne disgusted with the work at the chicken factory?
7. How does Essie Mae's father cause the family problems?
8. What event opens Anne's eyes to racial injustice in Chapter 10?
9. Describe Anne's time as a dish washer in Chapter 15.
10. How does Essie get her name changed in Chapter 9?
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)