|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What color frame does Essie's new house have?
2. What does the crowd sing at the parade?
(a) Goodnight Irene
(b) Morning Has Broken
(c) Swanee River
(d) Where Did You Sleep?
3. What church does the family return to in this chapter?
(a) The Laurel
(b) Saints and Sinners
(c) The Sacrifice
(d) Mount Pleasant
4. Why does Essie think her family holds a position of honor in their new neighborhood?
(a) They have a new toilet.
(b) They are the largest family.
(c) They are the only family with an education.
(d) They are the only black family.
5. What do Anne's school friends call her?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who beats up Jerry?
2. Who do the blacks claim the fire was meant to scare?
3. What kind of work does Raymond do in Chapter 2?
4. What does Anne earn four dollars a week doing?
5. Who does Anne start working for again in this chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way is Linda kind to Essie in Chapter 7?
2. How have Anne's ideas changed by the end of the book?
3. How does Essie's family afford to buy her a new dress as Homecoming Queen in Chapter 8?
4. How is life starting to get tough for the family?
5. What does Essie Mae think of the Centreville Bapist Church?
6. How does Anne try to make a good impression at her new college?
7. Why is Anne disappointed with the march in Chapter 24?
8. How does Anne spend her first paycheck?
9. How does Anne take her mind off what is happening in Centreville?
10. How has Mr. and Mrs. Chinn's situation changed in the final chapter?
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)