|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What color frame does Essie's new house have?
2. What is Mr. Jenkins' father known as?
(a) A liberal
(b) A great fisherman
(c) A bully boy
(d) A nigger hater
3. What does Mrs Burke accuse Junior of in this chapter?
(a) Killing chickens
(d) Sleeping with a white girl
4. Why does Essie not want to work in the fields?
(a) She does not tolerate the heat.
(b) She wants to read.
(c) She wants to play with her friends.
(d) She does not like getting dirty.
5. How does Essie's father punish her in the opening chapter?
(a) He beats her.
(b) He sends her to work.
(c) He stops her from leaving the house.
(d) He stops her weekly allowance.
6. What is the name of Raymond's sister?
7. What church does the family return to in this chapter?
(a) Mount Pleasant
(b) Saints and Sinners
(c) The Laurel
(d) The Sacrifice
8. Where does Raymond head to find work?
(b) New York
9. What does Essie pick at Mr. Wheeler's farm?
(a) Crab apples
10. What do Raymond and Mama pray for to help the cotton grow?
(c) More animals
11. Where does Anne find work in this chapter?
(a) The Jackson Chicken Farm
(b) The Art Cafe
(c) Ourso's Department Store
(d) Restaurant Civilized
12. Which of the following rooms does the new house not have?
(a) A bathroom
(b) A bedroom
(c) A kitchen
(d) A hallway
13. What does Essie watch the white children doing?
(d) Playing ball
14. What is the name of the new church the family attends?
(a) Saints and Sinners
(b) Centreville Baptist
(c) Mount Pleasant Church
(d) Bow Down Church
15. What is the name of Linda Jean's mother?
(a) Miss Daisy
(b) Miss Davis
(c) Mrs. Burke
(d) Mrs Frankel
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes Essie sad in this chapter?
2. What organization does Anne hear about in this chapter?
3. What does the family do with the money it earns picking pecans?
4. What is Jerry accused of doing?
5. Who does Anne begin to work for in this chapter?
This section contains 380 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)