|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Essie love hearing at Centreville Church?
(a) The choir
(b) The local gossip
(c) The preacher
(d) The radio
2. Why does Anne get fired from her job?
(a) She arrives late.
(b) She lies about her age.
(c) She smokes in the store.
(d) She steals clothes.
3. What is the name of the Jenkins' youngest daughter?
4. What does Essie get chosen to be in this chapter?
(a) Homecoming Queen
(b) Captain of the basketball team
(c) Head girl
(d) School monitor
5. How does Essie's father punish her in the opening chapter?
(a) He stops her weekly allowance.
(b) He stops her from leaving the house.
(c) He beats her.
(d) He sends her to work.
6. What trend does Essie start at school?
(a) Wearing socks over her tights
(b) Wearing tight clothes
(c) Wearing lipstick
(d) Wearing holly in her hair
7. Which of Anne's relatives also works in the restaurant?
(b) Grandma Winnie
8. Who does Raymond bring to live with them?
(b) Miss Pearl
9. Who does Essie learn was once in prison?
(d) The preacher
10. Who beats up Jerry?
(b) The sheriff
(d) The Ku Klux Klan
11. What church does the family return to in this chapter?
(a) The Laurel
(b) The Sacrifice
(c) Saints and Sinners
(d) Mount Pleasant
12. Who does Mama marry in this chapter?
(b) Mr. Jenkins
13. What does Raymond find in the field?
(a) A severed finger
(b) A grenade
(c) A treasure chest
(d) A machine gun
14. What is Lily White's real name?
15. What does Essie watch the white children doing?
(b) Playing ball
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Anne work for in this chapter?
2. Why does Essie think her family holds a position of honor in their new neighborhood?
3. What do Anne's school friends call her?
4. What is the name of Raymond's mother?
5. What does Anne have enough money to buy when she arrives home?
This section contains 353 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)