|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Lily White's real name?
2. What do Anne's school friends call her?
3. Why does Anne decide to work for Mrs Burke?
(a) She wants to buy new clothes.
(b) She likes her.
(c) She is bored.
(d) The family needs money.
4. What kind of creature often comes out of the swamp?
(a) A crocodile
(b) A snake
(c) A toad
(d) A lizard
5. What does Miss RIce tell Anne about in this chapter?
(a) The birds and the bees
(b) Anne's homeland
(c) The Civil Rights Movement
(d) The treatment of blacks in the south
6. Why does Essie think her family holds a position of honor in their new neighborhood?
(a) They are the only black family.
(b) They have a new toilet.
(c) They are the only family with an education.
(d) They are the largest family.
7. What is the name does Mama give her new baby boy?
8. What is the name of Anne's teacher in this chapter?
(a) Miss Davis
(b) Miss Rice
(c) Miss Younis
(d) Miss Fredericks
9. What does Essie watch the white children doing?
(b) Playing ball
10. What lesson does Anne take twice a week?
(a) French lessons
(b) German lessons
(c) Piano lessons
(d) Trumpet lessons
11. Why does Anne get fired from her job?
(a) She steals clothes.
(b) She lies about her age.
(c) She arrives late.
(d) She smokes in the store.
12. What does Essie love hearing at Centreville Church?
(a) The choir
(b) The radio
(c) The local gossip
(d) The preacher
13. Why does Mrs. Burke send Anne home in this chapter?
(a) She has no work for her.
(b) She is listening to her conversation.
(c) She is sick.
(d) She breaks a vase.
14. What is the name of Mrs. Burke's son?
15. Who does Anne begin working for at the end of this chapter?
(a) Mrs. Davis
(b) Mrs. Jenkins
(c) Miss Pearl
(d) Mrs. Hunt
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes Essie sad in this chapter?
2. What does the family not have enough money to buy?
3. Who does Anne work for in this chapter?
4. For what does Miss Claiborne give Essie $12?
5. What organization does Anne hear about in this chapter?
This section contains 382 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)