|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose house does Essie go to to pick up a letter?
(b) Mrs. Jenkins'
(c) Mrs Burke's
2. What kind of factory does Anne work in in this chapter?
(a) A weapons factory
(b) A chicken factory
(c) A drinks factory
(d) A pie factory
3. What is the name does Mama give her new baby boy?
4. Who does Essie learn was once in prison?
(a) The preacher
5. Why does Essie stop working for Mrs Jenkins in this chapter?
(a) Mrs. Jenkins has no money to pay her.
(b) Anne is fired.
(c) Mrs. Jenkins moves away.
(d) Mrs. Jenkins passes away.
6. What trend does Essie start at school?
(a) Wearing socks over her tights
(b) Wearing lipstick
(c) Wearing tight clothes
(d) Wearing holly in her hair
7. What church does the family return to in this chapter?
(a) Saints and Sinners
(b) The Laurel
(c) Mount Pleasant
(d) The Sacrifice
8. Who house is set ablaze in this chapter?
(a) The Diamonds
(b) The Smiths
(c) The Robinsons
(d) The Taplins
9. Which of the following rooms does the new house not have?
(a) A bathroom
(b) A bedroom
(c) A hallway
(d) A kitchen
10. What does Miss Ola allow Essie to sleep in?
(a) A four-poster bed
(b) A cot
(c) A double bed
(d) A bunk bed
11. How does Essie's father punish her in the opening chapter?
(a) He sends her to work.
(b) He stops her weekly allowance.
(c) He beats her.
(d) He stops her from leaving the house.
12. What kind of job does Anne get in Baton Rouge in this chapter?
(a) A cleaner
(b) A dish washer
(c) A make up artist
(d) A runner
13. Who does Anne work for in this chapter?
(a) Mrs. Smith
(b) Mrs. Jenkins
(c) Mrs. Hunt
(d) Mrs. Burke
14. What subject does Anne teach Wayne and his friends?
15. Who does Raymond bring to live with them?
(b) Miss Pearl
Short Answer Questions
1. The boys say the pond is full of _______________.
2. Who does Mama marry in this chapter?
3. Why does Anne get fired from her job?
4. Who is killed in this chapter?
5. What does Essie's father spend his free time doing?
This section contains 367 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)