|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Anne begin working for at the end of this chapter?
(a) Miss Pearl
(b) Mrs. Davis
(c) Mrs. Hunt
(d) Mrs. Jenkins
2. Why does Anne get fired from her job?
(a) She lies about her age.
(b) She smokes in the store.
(c) She steals clothes.
(d) She arrives late.
3. What kind of chicken can Anne no longer eat?
(a) Boxed chicken
(b) Roast chicken
(c) Raw chicken
(d) Fried chicken
4. What is the name of the new church the family attends?
(a) Centreville Baptist
(b) Mount Pleasant Church
(c) Bow Down Church
(d) Saints and Sinners
5. Who does Essie learn was once in prison?
(d) The preacher
6. What does Essie love hearing at Centreville Church?
(a) The radio
(b) The local gossip
(c) The choir
(d) The preacher
7. What do the whites claim started the fire at the Taplins' house?
(a) A cigar
(b) A kerosene lamp
(c) A funny cigarette
(d) An electrical fault
8. What city does Anne go to in this chapter?
(b) New Orleans
(c) New York
(d) Baton Rouge
9. Why does Anne decide to work for Mrs Burke?
(a) She is bored.
(b) The family needs money.
(c) She likes her.
(d) She wants to buy new clothes.
10. What is Mr. Jenkins' father known as?
(a) A nigger hater
(b) A liberal
(c) A great fisherman
(d) A bully boy
11. How does Essie impress the white children?
(a) She makes horse noises.
(b) She knows sport statistics.
(c) She makes Indian noises.
(d) She performs hand stands.
12. Which of the following rooms does the new house not have?
(a) A hallway
(b) A bedroom
(c) A kitchen
(d) A bathroom
13. Who does Mama marry in this chapter?
(c) Mr. Jenkins
14. What subject does Anne teach Wayne and his friends?
15. What do Anne's school friends call her?
Short Answer Questions
1. What sports team does Anne join?
2. The boys say the pond is full of _______________.
3. What trend does Essie start at school?
4. Who sets fire to the house in Chapter 2?
5. What is the name of the Jenkins' youngest daughter?
This section contains 343 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)