|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who sets fire to the house in Chapter 2?
2. Why does the foreman keep moving Anne in the factory?
(a) She is an excellent worker.
(b) No one likes her.
(c) She is too slow.
(d) She keeps on getting sick.
3. What does Anne have to pull out from the chickens?
(a) Their guts
(b) Their feet
(c) Their brains
(d) Their feathers
4. Who does Raymond bring to live with them?
(c) Miss Pearl
5. What sports team does Anne join?
6. Whose house does Essie go to to pick up a letter?
(c) Mrs. Jenkins'
(d) Mrs Burke's
7. How is Jennie Ann related to Essie?
(a) Her sister
(b) Her niece
(c) Her cousin
(d) Her half sister
8. Who beats up Jerry?
(b) The Ku Klux Klan
(d) The sheriff
9. Who kills Emmet Till?
(a) A group of Negroes
(b) A group of white men
(c) A sheriff
(d) A government official
10. What does Essie's father spend his free time doing?
(b) Shooting pool
11. What does Essie change her name to in this chapter?
12. How does Essie impress the white children?
(a) She knows sport statistics.
(b) She makes horse noises.
(c) She performs hand stands.
(d) She makes Indian noises.
13. Where does Essie Mae spend most of her time hiding at school?
(a) The cellar
(b) The outhouse
(c) The treehouse
(d) The bushes
14. What does Essie get chosen to be in this chapter?
(a) School monitor
(b) Captain of the basketball team
(c) Homecoming Queen
(d) Head girl
15. Who does Anne work for in this chapter?
(a) Mrs. Smith
(b) Mrs. Hunt
(c) Mrs. Burke
(d) Mrs. Jenkins
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Essie think her family holds a position of honor in their new neighborhood?
2. Why does Mrs. Burke send Anne home in this chapter?
3. How is Ed related to Mama?
4. Where is Essie baptized?
5. What does Essie watch the white children doing?
This section contains 361 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)