|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With whom does the Guild try and catch the sheriff?
(a) A black woman
(b) A black man
(c) A Ku Klux Klan member
(d) A Civil Rights leader
2. Who looks after Essie Mae and her sister while their parents are at work?
(a) Abraham Fredericks
(b) George Lee
(c) Joe Rogers
(d) George Lucas
3. What does Raymond decide to become at the beginning of the chapter?
(a) An actor
(b) A soldier
(c) A writer
(d) A farmer
4. The boys say the pond is full of _______________.
(a) Cow dung
5. What does Anne have enough money to buy when she arrives home?
(a) New school clothes
(b) A horse
(c) A television
(d) Make up
6. What is the name of the new church the family attends?
(a) Mount Pleasant Church
(b) Centreville Baptist
(c) Bow Down Church
(d) Saints and Sinners
7. How is Ed related to Mama?
(a) Her step father
(b) Her cousin
(c) Her nephew
(d) Her brother
8. What does Essie change her name to in this chapter?
9. Why does Anne decide to work for Mrs Burke?
(a) She wants to buy new clothes.
(b) She is bored.
(c) The family needs money.
(d) She likes her.
10. For what does Miss Claiborne give Essie $12?
(a) Planting seeds
(c) Delivering pamphlets
(d) Keeping quiet
11. What does Miss RIce tell Anne about in this chapter?
(a) The Civil Rights Movement
(b) Anne's homeland
(c) The treatment of blacks in the south
(d) The birds and the bees
12. Why does the foreman keep moving Anne in the factory?
(a) No one likes her.
(b) She is too slow.
(c) She keeps on getting sick.
(d) She is an excellent worker.
13. Why does Essie stop working for Mrs Jenkins in this chapter?
(a) Mrs. Jenkins has no money to pay her.
(b) Anne is fired.
(c) Mrs. Jenkins passes away.
(d) Mrs. Jenkins moves away.
14. What does the family do with the money it earns picking pecans?
(a) Throws a party
(b) Buys a new mule
(c) Goes to a ball game
(d) Buys new school clothes
15. What do the whites claim started the fire at the Taplins' house?
(a) A funny cigarette
(b) An electrical fault
(c) A cigar
(d) A kerosene lamp
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Anne's school friends call her?
2. What do Raymond and Mama pray for to help the cotton grow?
3. What is the name of Anne's teacher in this chapter?
4. What is the name of Mrs. Burke's son?
5. Who is killed in this chapter?
This section contains 400 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)