|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Anne have enough money to buy when she arrives home?
(a) A horse
(b) A television
(c) New school clothes
(d) Make up
2. What kind of work does Raymond do in Chapter 2?
(a) He is a farmer.
(b) He runs a cafe.
(c) He is a factory worker.
(d) He is a soldier.
3. Who does Anne begin working for at the end of this chapter?
(a) Miss Pearl
(b) Mrs. Davis
(c) Mrs. Hunt
(d) Mrs. Jenkins
4. What church does the family return to in this chapter?
(a) The Laurel
(b) Saints and Sinners
(c) Mount Pleasant
(d) The Sacrifice
5. Who looks after Essie Mae and her sister while their parents are at work?
(a) Abraham Fredericks
(b) Joe Rogers
(c) George Lucas
(d) George Lee
6. For what does Miss Claiborne give Essie $12?
(a) Keeping quiet
(b) Delivering pamphlets
(d) Planting seeds
7. Who kills Emmet Till?
(a) A group of Negroes
(b) A sheriff
(c) A government official
(d) A group of white men
8. Who house is set ablaze in this chapter?
(a) The Diamonds
(b) The Smiths
(c) The Taplins
(d) The Robinsons
9. Who buys Essie a new dress in this chapter?
(b) Grandma Winnie
10. The boys say the pond is full of _______________.
(a) Cow dung
11. Who does Mama marry in this chapter?
(b) Mr. Jenkins
12. Why does Anne decide to work for Mrs Burke?
(a) She wants to buy new clothes.
(b) The family needs money.
(c) She is bored.
(d) She likes her.
13. What color frame does Essie's new house have?
14. What does Raymond decide to become at the beginning of the chapter?
(a) A writer
(b) An actor
(c) A farmer
(d) A soldier
15. What do the whites claim started the fire at the Taplins' house?
(a) A cigar
(b) A funny cigarette
(c) An electrical fault
(d) A kerosene lamp
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mama go to fetch in Florida?
2. What does Essie change her name to in this chapter?
3. What is Mr. Jenkins' father known as?
4. What kind of job does Anne get in Baton Rouge in this chapter?
5. Who does Essie learn was once in prison?
This section contains 357 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)