|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Mrs. Burke send Anne home in this chapter?
(a) She is sick.
(b) She has no work for her.
(c) She is listening to her conversation.
(d) She breaks a vase.
2. What does Mrs Burke accuse Junior of in this chapter?
(a) Sleeping with a white girl
(c) Killing chickens
3. Why does Essie stop working for Mrs Jenkins in this chapter?
(a) Mrs. Jenkins passes away.
(b) Mrs. Jenkins has no money to pay her.
(c) Anne is fired.
(d) Mrs. Jenkins moves away.
4. What kind of animal does Raymond buy?
(a) A horse
(b) A cow
(c) A goat
(d) A mule
5. What does Anne earn four dollars a week doing?
(b) Playing the piano
(d) Washing plates
6. What is Jerry accused of doing?
(a) Sleeping with white women
(b) Making obscene phone calls
(c) Exposing himself
(d) Drinking in a whiteman's bar
7. What city does Anne go to in this chapter?
(a) New York
(c) New Orleans
(d) Baton Rouge
8. Why does Anne get fired from her job?
(a) She steals clothes.
(b) She arrives late.
(c) She smokes in the store.
(d) She lies about her age.
9. What does Miss RIce tell Anne about in this chapter?
(a) The Civil Rights Movement
(b) The birds and the bees
(c) The treatment of blacks in the south
(d) Anne's homeland
10. What does the family not have enough money to buy?
(b) New school clothes
(c) More animals
(d) Cotton seeds
11. Why does Essie think her family holds a position of honor in their new neighborhood?
(a) They have a new toilet.
(b) They are the largest family.
(c) They are the only black family.
(d) They are the only family with an education.
12. What does the family do with the money it earns picking pecans?
(a) Throws a party
(b) Goes to a ball game
(c) Buys a new mule
(d) Buys new school clothes
13. For what does Miss Claiborne give Essie $12?
(a) Delivering pamphlets
(b) Keeping quiet
(c) Planting seeds
14. What is Mr. Jenkins' father known as?
(a) A liberal
(b) A great fisherman
(c) A bully boy
(d) A nigger hater
15. How does Essie's father punish her in the opening chapter?
(a) He beats her.
(b) He stops her weekly allowance.
(c) He stops her from leaving the house.
(d) He sends her to work.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Miss Ola allow Essie to sleep in?
2. Who is killed in this chapter?
3. How is Jennie Ann related to Essie?
4. Who does Anne work for in this chapter?
5. Who kills Emmet Till?
This section contains 429 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)