|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What makes Essie sad in this chapter?
(a) A hole in her tights
(b) The death of a friend
(c) The song
(d) Her father's absence
2. Which of the following rooms does the new house not have?
(a) A bedroom
(b) A kitchen
(c) A hallway
(d) A bathroom
3. What is the name of Mrs. Burke's son?
4. Who is killed in this chapter?
(a) Martin Luther King
(b) Emmet Till
(d) Sean O'Connor
5. Where does Anne find work in this chapter?
(a) The Art Cafe
(b) Ourso's Department Store
(c) Restaurant Civilized
(d) The Jackson Chicken Farm
6. What does Essie watch the white children doing?
(d) Playing ball
7. What kind of chicken can Anne no longer eat?
(a) Roast chicken
(b) Boxed chicken
(c) Fried chicken
(d) Raw chicken
8. What kind of job does Anne get in Baton Rouge in this chapter?
(a) A runner
(b) A make up artist
(c) A dish washer
(d) A cleaner
9. Who beats up Jerry?
(b) The sheriff
(d) The Ku Klux Klan
10. What is the name of Linda Jean's mother?
(a) Miss Davis
(b) Miss Daisy
(c) Mrs Frankel
(d) Mrs. Burke
11. What is Jerry accused of doing?
(a) Drinking in a whiteman's bar
(b) Exposing himself
(c) Sleeping with white women
(d) Making obscene phone calls
12. What does the family not have enough money to buy?
(b) New school clothes
(c) More animals
(d) Cotton seeds
13. Who sets fire to the house in Chapter 2?
14. Which of Anne's relatives also works in the restaurant?
(b) Grandma Winnie
15. Why does Essie stop working for Mrs Jenkins in this chapter?
(a) Anne is fired.
(b) Mrs. Jenkins passes away.
(c) Mrs. Jenkins moves away.
(d) Mrs. Jenkins has no money to pay her.
Short Answer Questions
1. What subject does Anne teach Wayne and his friends?
2. Where should blacks go in the movie theater?
3. What does Miss RIce tell Anne about in this chapter?
4. For what does Miss Claiborne give Essie $12?
5. What is the name of the Jenkins' youngest daughter?
This section contains 350 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)