Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Essie Mae's early life.
2. How does Essie Mae's father cause the family problems?
3. Why does Essie Mae's mother think the house is dangerous in Chapter 2?
4. Why does Mama need Raymond?
5. Why does Essie Mae like the house in Chapter 3 the best?
6. Why does Essie refuse to eat Miss Ola's food?
7. Describe the house Raymond builds in Chapter 4.
8. In what way is life getting better for Essie and her family in Chapter 4?
9. Why does Mama decide to change churches in Chapter 5?
10. What does Essie Mae think of the Centreville Bapist Church?
11. Why does Raymond have to stop farming in Chapter 6?
12. What are Essie Mae's initial fears about working in the cotton fields?
13. How does the family earn enough money for new school clothes?
14. In what way is Linda kind to Essie in Chapter 7?
15. How do Essie's old, tight-fitting clothes benefit her in Chapter 8?
This section contains 558 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)