|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1: Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Miss Ola allow Essie to sleep in?
(a) A bunk bed
(b) A double bed
(c) A four-poster bed
(d) A cot
2. Why does Essie think her family holds a position of honor in their new neighborhood?
(a) They are the only family with an education.
(b) They are the largest family.
(c) They are the only black family.
(d) They have a new toilet.
3. For what does Miss Claiborne give Essie $12?
(a) Delivering pamphlets
(b) Planting seeds
(c) Keeping quiet
4. What kind of work does Raymond do in Chapter 2?
(a) He is a soldier.
(b) He is a farmer.
(c) He is a factory worker.
(d) He runs a cafe.
5. How does Essie's father punish her in the opening chapter?
(a) He beats her.
(b) He sends her to work.
(c) He stops her weekly allowance.
(d) He stops her from leaving the house.
Short Answer Questions
1. How are Ed's younger brothers different from the rest of the family?
2. Where do Essie's parents work?
3. What kind of creature often comes out of the swamp?
4. Where should blacks go in the movie theater?
5. Who does Raymond bring to live with them?
This section contains 218 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)