Part 1: Chapter 1
• Four-year-old Essie Mae lives in a two-room shack with her father, mother, and younger sister Adline.
• While their parents are working, Essie Mae and Adline, are watched by their eight-year-old uncle, George Lee.
• Mama gives birth to Junior and Essie Mae's father takes the family to live with their great aunt. Soon after, he leaves the family for another woman.
• Essie Mae's mother secures employment at a Negro cafe and moves the family into a two-room house owned by a white family. Essie Mae turns five and is enrolled at a school in a local church.
Part 1: Chapter 2
• While Essie Mae's mother works at the cafe, Essie Mae is put in charge of her younger sister and brother.
• One day Ed takes them to his house. Essie Mae is anxious to see Ed's younger brothers, Sam and Walter, whom she has never met before. When two...
This section contains 3,137 words
(approx. 11 pages at 300 words per page)