|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Webb finally come to see Buddy play?
2. Buddy used to build up strength where?
3. Buddy walks his kids to school by ____ AM.
4. How does Webb find Buddy's music?
5. Webb is a ______, shaking, lecherous police detective.
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Buddy care about more: Nora or Robin?
2. How do Buddy and Webb approach life differently?
3. Is Buddy predictable? How so?
4. Is Buddy crazy?
5. What about Buddy's disappearance is confusing for Nora?
6. Why do smart customers come to Buddy early?
7. Does Buddy know or care about how his actions affect people?
8. Why does Buddy return to the Brewitts at the end of Chapter 1?
9. What is the effect of Ondaatje's sentence structures?
10. What is Buddy's relationship with Nora like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the statement on humanity "Coming Through Slaughter" makes with its narrative and characters.
Essay Topic 2
Nora is Buddy's wife and the mother of his children. She is the one who reports him missing. Their relationship changes dramatically through the course of the story. Discuss Buddy and Nora's relationship and what about Buddy and the larger themes it provokes.
Essay Topic 3
Buddy carries on two relationships in "Coming Through Slaughter." Both women are quite different, as are the relationships. However, there are a few circumstantial similarities. Discuss Buddy's relationship with women. How does he see them? How were these relationships toxic to him? How was he toxic to them? What is "romance" in Buddy's life?
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)