|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What day is Jeff arriving in town?
2. Who calls Olympia while she is at work?
3. What is Max's temperature on Sunday?
4. Why does Harry have to go to work early in the morning the day after Frieda's mishap?
5. Where is Harry going the morning of the ball?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Virginia upset at the end of Chapter 7?
2. What happens to Max that makes life more difficult for Olympia right before the ball?
3. Why does the family celebrate Christmas and Chanukah?
4. Why does Harry feel bad for not helping Olympia?
5. What makes Olympia upset when she sees Veronica come out of the shower?
6. Describe Charlie's relationship with Max.
7. What causes Virginia to think she fails her exams?
8. Why is Steve coming to the ball?
9. What does Olympia have to run out to buy for Virginia at the beginning of Chapter 8?
10. Why is Olympia angry at Harry's choice not to go to the ball?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Frieda is a Holocaust survivor who has gone through counseling and support to help her move on with her life. Is it possible to put such a tragic event behind you? Does Frieda seem to be happy or is she distressed about her past? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Veronica and Virginia, although sisters, are very different girls. Provide three similarities and differences in the characters, and determine which one you would rather be like, and explain why.
Essay Topic 3
How do the family's Jewish and Protestant cultures play an important role throughout the novel? Do their cultural differences add depth to the novel or is it unnecessary?
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)