|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which two family members are not going to the ball?
2. Where is Harry going the morning of the ball?
3. Who calls Olympia while she is at work?
4. What story does Frieda tell Olympia about a 17-year-old Harry?
5. What material was the stole?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Max that makes life more difficult for Olympia right before the ball?
2. Why does Chauncey threaten to stop paying Veronica's tuition for a second time?
3. Why is Olympia so angry that Steve broke up with Virginia on the night he did?
4. How does Frieda solve the visible tattoo issue for the ball?
5. What causes Virginia to think she fails her exams?
6. Why is Virginia upset at the end of Chapter 7?
7. What is wrong with Olympia two days before the ball?
8. Why has Margaret taken a vacation?
9. Why is Olympia concerned about Jeff, Veronica's escort the day of the ball?
10. Why is Olympia angry at Harry's choice not to go to the ball?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Olympia is a good mother and wife, but she does a lot to support other people. Do you think that Olympia is too enabling to her children and husband? Explain your reasoning using support from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Debutante balls have changed over the years. Their purpose used to be for girls to find husbands, but now it is more of a fun event. Compare and contrast debutante balls of old and new. How have they changed? Do they serve a purpose anymore? Do you think they will continue to evolve?
Essay Topic 3
Frieda is a Holocaust survivor who has gone through counseling and support to help her move on with her life. Is it possible to put such a tragic event behind you? Does Frieda seem to be happy or is she distressed about her past? Explain.
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)