|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is always quick to take care of Max when needed?
2. Who says, "'I'm taking Virginia as a hostage, to bring Veronica to her senses"?
3. What does Olympia sell to pay off her family's debt?
4. How old is Olympia when she divorces her first husband?
5. What does Olympia offer to do for Felicia?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Veronica's dress for the ball.
2. How does Olympia react to Chauncey's threat?
3. Why does Olympia want the girls to go the ball?
4. Why does Olympia call Chauncey after Charlie recommends that she does?
5. Why is Veronica mad at Chauncey at the end of Chapter 2?
6. Why does Charlie want to meet Veronica's escort?
7. What does Chauncey threaten to do if Veronica refuses to attend the ball?
8. What are Charlie's summer plans?
9. How does Max feel about the ball?
10. What event has Frieda endured that makes her so special?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Olympia is a good mother and wife, but she does a lot to support other people. Do you think that Olympia is too enabling to her children and husband? Explain your reasoning using support from the book.
Essay Topic 2
How do the family's Jewish and Protestant cultures play an important role throughout the novel? Do their cultural differences add depth to the novel or is it unnecessary?
Essay Topic 3
College is a time of experimentation and growing up, as Veronica, Virginia and Charlie learn all too well. Using examples from the story, explain how each adult child "grew up" or "experimented" while in college.
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)