|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Chauncey want Charlie to do after graduation?
2. Which child is Olympia worried about in Chapter 3 because of quiet and odd behavior?
3. What did Veronica not share with her mother about Jeff?
4. Which character does not have a job?
5. What special item comes in the mail on Friday afternoon?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Olympia so surprised about how pleasant Chauncey is during their phone conversation in Chapter 4?
2. What are some things that the family does in Paris?
3. What are Charlie's summer plans?
4. Describe Virginia's dress for the ball.
5. How does Max feel about the ball?
6. How do Olympia's and Harry's backgrounds differ?
7. Why is Veronica mad at Chauncey at the end of Chapter 2?
8. How do the twins react to hearing about The Arches invitation?
9. How is Harry different than Olympia's previous husband, Chauncey?
10. Why does Olympia want the girls to go the ball?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Debutante balls have changed over the years. Their purpose used to be for girls to find husbands, but now it is more of a fun event. Compare and contrast debutante balls of old and new. How have they changed? Do they serve a purpose anymore? Do you think they will continue to evolve?
Essay Topic 2
Money versus happiness is a theme that plays a role in the book. Think about how important money is to Chauncey and then think about how love and happiness is important to Olympia and Harry. Does money buy happiness? Can people be happy without money? Use details from the book to craft an essay on the topic.
Essay Topic 3
Frieda is a Holocaust survivor who has gone through counseling and support to help her move on with her life. Is it possible to put such a tragic event behind you? Does Frieda seem to be happy or is she distressed about her past? Explain.
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)