|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Olympia referring to when she uses the phrase "rite of passage."
2. What did Veronica not share with her mother about Jeff?
3. What does Olympia sell to pay off her family's debt?
4. Which two characters are twins?
5. Which two magazines did Margaret model for?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Charlie options for post graduation plans?
2. What are some things that the family does in Paris?
3. Why does Charlie want to meet Veronica's escort?
4. What are the reasons that Veronica finally agrees to go to the ball?
5. What event has Frieda endured that makes her so special?
6. Describe Virginia's dress for the ball.
7. Why is it unusual for Olympia to invite Frieda and Margaret to the ball?
8. Why does Olympia want the girls to go the ball?
9. What does Chauncey threaten to do if Veronica refuses to attend the ball?
10. What is special about the family's Thanksgiving day meal?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Olympia values family above anything. How does she show her love of her family throughout the book, even when times are rough or she is frustrated with her family?
Essay Topic 2
Harry and Chauncey are very different characters. Compare and contrast them using examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Foreshadowing is also used in this book in many instances. Cite 3 examples of foreshadowing and how it is used to indicate events to come. Why would the author choose to foreshadow?
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)