|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of Charles Darwin's grandfather who had written the book, "Zoonomia"?
2. Who worked under George Hale, director of the Mount Wilson Observatory, as described by the author in Chapter 9?
3. William Herschel became most famous for the discovery of which planet?
4. According to the author, the vacuum genesis argues that something came from nothing and the quantum genesis advocates the application of the random nature of ______ to the early universe.
5. What is the first premise of "On the Origin of Species"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was indicated by Einstein's theory of relativity, according to the author in Chapter 11: "The Expansion of the Universe"?
2. What did Johann Lambert write of his discoveries, according to the author in Chapter 8: "Deep Space"?
3. What led to the origination of spectroscopy and astrophysics, according to the author in Chapter 10: "Einstein's Sky"?
4. How does the author describe the world of science in the twentieth century in Chapter 17: "The Axis of History"?
5. What was theorized in a paper written by Vesto Slipher in the early 20th century, according to the author in Chapter 11: "The Expansion of the Universe"?
6. What led to the emergence of quantum physics according to the author in Chapter 15: "The Quantum and its Discontents"?
7. What were the strengths of Darwin's "The Origin of the Species," according to the author in Chapter 14: "The Evolution of Atoms and Stars"?
8. How does the author compare telescopes and accelerators in Chapter 17: "The Axis of History"?
9. Why did Darwin delay the publication of "The Origin of the Species" according to the author in Chapter 14: "The Evolution of Atoms and Stars"?
10. What obstacles did early quantum physicists have, as described by the author in Chapter 15: "The Quantum and its Discontents"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the work of William Parsons, Isaac Roberts and James Keeler. Who developed the nebular hypothesis? How is it defined? What are the two theories about elliptical nebulae and who developed them?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the life and work of Aristotle. When and where did Aristotle live? With whom and where did he study? Upon whose work did Aristotle base his model of the universe? What did he add to this model?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the life and work of Galileo, "Sidereus Nuncius" and the telescope. What was the telescope invented by Galileo composed of? How did it work? What led Galileo to develop the telescope and what impact did this invention have on history?
This section contains 999 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)