|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As a physicist, Galileo attempted to bring physics into the discovery of what?
2. Nicolaus Copernicus's work proved that what system was inaccurate?
3. According to the author in Chapter 7: "A Plumb Line to the Sun," some ships and their crews were lost at sea because it was difficult to establish what?
4. In what country is Stonehenge located?
5. Most of Copernicus's work was unpublished until his death because he feared what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author describe the ancient civilizations' perception of space in Chapter 1: "The Dome of Heaven"?
2. How are the early years of Copernicus described in Chapter 4: "The Sun Worshipers"? What and where did he study?
3. How did the rise of Christianity impact the sciences according to the author in Chapter 2: "Raising (and Lowering) the Roof"?
4. What theory did Copernicus work tirelessly to prove, according to the author Chapter 4: "The Sun Worshipers"? When were his ideas published?
5. What did Tycho witness in 1572 that influenced his ideas, according to the author in Chapter 4: "The Sun Worshipers"?
6. How does the author describe the work and theories of Claudius Ptolemy in Chapter 1: "The Dome of Heaven"?
7. What aspects of the cosmos confused ancient astronomers, according to the author in Chapter 1: "The Dome of Heaven"?
8. How does the author describe early models of the universe in Chapter 2: "Raising (and Lowering) the Roof"?
9. How does the author describe micrometry in Chapter 7: "A Plumb Line to the Sun"?
10. What sparked the reawakening of interest in the cosmos, according to the author in Chapter 3: "The Discovery of the Earth"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the Royal Society, Edmond Halley, Christopher Wren and Robert Hooke. What discoveries did each of these individuals make? How did they influence science and history? When and where was the Royal Society established? For what purpose?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the early models of the universe as discussed in Chapter 2: "Raising (and Lowering) the Roof." How did these systems differ from how the universe is modeled today? How did the concept of inertia change this view?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the impact of the work of Marco Polo, Bartholomeu Diaz, Vasco da Gama and Prince Henry the Navigator. Where did Marco Polo travel and how did this impact Europe? How was geography intertwined with navigation?
This section contains 940 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)