|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Middle Ages encompassed the period from the 5th century to when?
2. Eudoxus went on to establish his own observatory where?
3. In trigonometry and geometry, what is the process of determining the location of a point by measuring angles to it from known points at either end of a fixed baseline, rather than measuring distances to the point directly?
4. Copernicus was impressed by the logic of whose belief that there was an underlying structure to the entire universe?
5. When was Isaac Newton born?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author describe early models of the universe in Chapter 2: "Raising (and Lowering) the Roof"?
2. How did Newton demolish Arisotle's dual universe according to the author in Chapter 6: "Newton's Reach"?
3. What had remained a major problem for explorers at sea as described by the author in Chapter 7: "A Plumb Line to the Sun"?
4. What was the major problem with astronomical units, as described by the author in Chapter 7: "A Plumb Line to the Sun"?
5. How had Greek science changed by Archimedes' death according to the author in Chapter 2: "Raising (and Lowering) the Roof"?
6. What does the author say is symbolized by the work of Galileo in Chapter 5: "The World in Retrograde"?
7. What discoveries did Galileo make in his studies of the cosmos, according to the author in Chapter 5: "The World in Retrograde"?
8. How is the telescope Newton developed described in Chapter 6: "Newton's Reach"?
9. What aspects of the cosmos confused ancient astronomers, according to the author in Chapter 1: "The Dome of Heaven"?
10. How did the rise of Christianity impact the sciences according to the author in Chapter 2: "Raising (and Lowering) the Roof"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the Great Pyramid, the Egyptians, Stonehenge, and the cosmological views of ancient civilizations as described in the book. What purpose did the study of cosmology serve these people? In what cultures was there particular interest in cosmology? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the work of William Herschel and the discovery of Uranus. What influenced Herschel to study nebulae? How did Herschel improve upon the telescope? How did the ideas of Kant and Lambert influence Herschel?
Essay Topic 3
Define, analyze and discuss micrometry, triangulation, and Euclidean geometry. When were micrometry and triangulation developed? By whom? How were these methods used to determine distance? Who was Euclid and when did he live?
This section contains 965 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)