|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was Christopher Wren born?
2. After the fall of Rome, Christian zealots were said to have burned all the "pagan" books in the library where?
3. Eudoxus went on to establish his own observatory where?
4. The Islamic followers of whom misinterpreted his calculations and created a model that was cumbersome and impractical?
5. Where was Christopher Columbus from?
Short Essay Questions
1. What aspects of the cosmos confused ancient astronomers, according to the author in Chapter 1: "The Dome of Heaven"?
2. How had Greek science changed by Archimedes' death according to the author in Chapter 2: "Raising (and Lowering) the Roof"?
3. How did Newton demolish Arisotle's dual universe according to the author in Chapter 6: "Newton's Reach"?
4. What scholars and astronomers influenced the theories of Copernicus, according to the author in Chapter 4: "The Sun Worshipers"?
5. What sparked the reawakening of interest in the cosmos, according to the author in Chapter 3: "The Discovery of the Earth"?
6. What interests did Isaac Newton have in addition to science, according to the author in Chapter 6: "Newton's Reach"?
7. How did the rise of Christianity impact the sciences according to the author in Chapter 2: "Raising (and Lowering) the Roof"?
8. Why did global exploration expand interest in the cosmos, according to the author in Chapter 3: "The Discovery of the Earth"?
9. What did Galileo invent and develop as a result of debt in Chapter 5: "The World in Retrograde"?
10. With whom did Eudoxus study astronomy, according to the author in Chapter 1: "The Dome of Heaven"? Where?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the impact of exploration on the Western world. How was trade affected by exploration? When did colonization begin? What did these explorers learn from the people and cultures they discovered? How were the sciences affected by the age of exploration?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the Royal Society, Edmond Halley, Christopher Wren and Robert Hooke. What discoveries did each of these individuals make? How did they influence science and history? When and where was the Royal Society established? For what purpose?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the lives and theories of Eudoxus, Aristotle, and Claudius Ptolemy. How did they advance science? When did each of these individuals live and what relationships did they have with one another? What were their impacts on history?
This section contains 925 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)