|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who discovered the rotation of Jupiter?
(a) Claudius Ptolemy.
(d) Robert Hooke.
2. The Royal Society was established in what year?
3. Newton's first law expanded on the theory of inertia by asserting that an object stays in motion unless it is what?
(a) Tilted toward negative energy.
(b) Disrupted by another force.
(d) Affected by radiation.
4. When was the conquest of Alexander the Great?
(a) 384 B.C.
(b) 330 B.C.
(c) 385 B.C.
(d) 410 B.C.
5. What Arabic secret society published tables of planetary distances that had been calculated by Aristarchus?
(a) The Brothers of Peace.
(b) The Brethren of Purity.
(c) The Scientific Mathematics.
(d) The Arabic Society.
6. The reawakening of interest in the cosmos was sparked by the age of exploration, beginning with whose travels to China in the thirteenth century?
(b) Marco Polo's.
(d) Claudius Ptolemy's.
7. Nicolaus Copernicus was born thirty years after what was invented?
(a) The wheel.
(b) The printing press.
(c) The automobile.
(d) The radio.
8. Who sentenced Jesus Christ to death?
(a) Pontius Pilate.
9. By the time of Archimedes' death, Greek science, along with the rest of the intellectual world, had been transferred from Athens to where?
10. What refers to the region of city-states in ancient Mesopotamia?
11. Copernicus was influenced by what Parisian scholar who theorized that the earth was in motion?
(b) Nicole Oresme.
(d) Pontius Pilate.
12. Eudoxus of Cnidus was a student of whom?
(c) Claudius Ptolemy.
13. Most of Copernicus's work was unpublished until his death because he feared what?
(a) Retribution from his wife.
(b) Retribution from the Church.
(c) Retribution from the scientific community.
(d) Retribution from his family.
14. What is the science of the measurement of time, or timekeeping?
15. What was a model of the solar system published by Tycho Brahe in the late 16th century which combined what he saw as the mathematical benefits of the Copernican system with the philosophical and "physical" benefits of the Ptolemaic system?
(c) The Tychonic system.
(d) Quantum flux.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the first to explore the coast of Africa and discover its rich natural resources in Chapter 3: "The Discovery of the Earth"?
2. As a physicist, Galileo attempted to bring physics into the discovery of what?
3. What is a division of the astronomical science that is concerned with getting data, in contrast with theoretical astrophysics, which is mainly concerned with finding out the measurable implications of physical models?
4. Isaac Newton developed a theory on gravitation and in doing so demolished whose dual universe?
5. When did Christopher Columbus depart on his journey to the New World?
This section contains 450 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)