|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where was Vasco da Gama from?
2. As far back as Ptolemy, geography was employed as an aid in the study of what, according to the author in Chapter 3: "The Discovery of the Earth"?
3. Copernicus was influenced by what Parisian scholar who theorized that the earth was in motion?
(b) Pontius Pilate.
(c) Nicole Oresme.
4. Who wrote the work "Mathematical Syntaxis"?
(c) Albert Einstein.
(d) Claudius Ptolemy.
5. What word means small or tiny?
6. When did Venetian Alvise da Cadamosto discover the Southern Cross?
7. After the fall of Rome, Christian zealots were said to have burned all the "pagan" books in the library where?
8. When was Edmond Halley born?
9. When was Claudius Ptolemy born?
(a) 476 A.D.
(b) 224 A.D.
(c) 90 A.D.
(d) 120 B.C.
10. Where was Nicolaus Copernicus from?
11. The Royal Society was established in what year?
12. Most of Copernicus's work was unpublished until his death because he feared what?
(a) Retribution from the Church.
(b) Retribution from his wife.
(c) Retribution from the scientific community.
(d) Retribution from his family.
13. In early models of the universe, what stood at the center of the universe?
(a) The moon.
(b) The sun.
14. Who launched one of the most renowned transit expeditions was launched by the Royal Society in August 1768?
(a) Marco Polo.
(b) Prince Henry the Navigator.
(c) Captain James Cook.
(d) Claudius Ptolemy.
15. Eudoxus of Cnidus was a student of whom?
(c) Claudius Ptolemy.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year did Bartholomeu Diaz round the Cape of Good Hope on the southern tip if Africa?
2. What is an influential philosophical tradition whose early practitioners' claims to profound powers were known from antiquity?
3. American Indians lost in the woods could find their way with the help of whom, according to the author in Chapter 3: "The Discovery of the Earth"?
4. What is a device with a special eyepiece to measure the size of a planet as seen through a telescope?
5. Isaac Newton developed a theory on gravitation and in doing so demolished whose dual universe?
This section contains 362 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)