|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. One of the most renowned transit expeditions was launched by the Royal Society in August 1768 on what ship?
(a) The HMS Explorer.
(b) The USS Explorer.
(c) The HMS Endeavour.
(d) The Beagle.
2. Newton invented a new telescope that employed a mirror rather than what for the collection of light?
(a) A lens.
(b) A sphere.
(c) A radio.
(d) A metal rod.
3. What is the astronomical model in which the Earth and planets revolve around a stationary Sun at the center of the universe?
(b) The Tychonic system.
4. The Great Pyramid of Giza was aligned to what, according to the author in Chapter 1: "The Dome of Heaven"?
(c) A star.
(d) The moon.
5. Galileo's contributions to observational astronomy include the telescopic confirmation of the phases of what planet?
6. With the conquest of Alexander the Great, the Greeks gained access to what?
(a) The Dead Sea scrolls.
(b) The Mesopotanian history books.
(c) Babylonian astronomical records.
(d) The Roman story of creation.
7. Where was Galileo Galilei from?
8. Isaac Newton developed a theory on gravitation and in doing so demolished whose dual universe?
(b) Claudius Ptolemy's.
9. What is the resistance of any physical object to a change in its state of motion or rest, or the tendency of an object to resist any change in its motion?
(a) Quantum mechanics.
(b) Quantum flux.
10. Practical reasons for learning about the stars and their movement included what in ancient times, according to the author in Chapter 1: "The Dome of Heaven"?
(a) Estimating the population.
(b) Determining religious history.
(c) Predicting the future.
(d) Timekeeping and navigation.
11. The reawakening of interest in the cosmos was sparked by the age of exploration, beginning with whose travels to China in the thirteenth century?
(c) Marco Polo's.
(d) Claudius Ptolemy's.
12. Where was Nicolaus Copernicus from?
13. What is the science of the measurement of time, or timekeeping?
14. The decline of Rome occurred over a period of four centuries, culminating in what year, when Romulus Augustus, the last Emperor of the Western Roman Empire, was deposed by Odoacer?
(a) 476 A.D.
(b) 123 A.D.
(c) 12 B.C.
(d) 90 A.D.
15. Where was Vasco da Gama from?
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Galileo Galilei die?
2. Where was Christopher Columbus from?
3. Legend had it that Galileo dropped what off the tower of Pisa to illustrate that all objects fell at the same rate of speed?
4. Who wrote a paper entitled, "The Sand Reckoner"?
5. As a physicist, Galileo attempted to bring physics into the discovery of what?
This section contains 448 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)