|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8: Deep Space.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The first step in the exploration of intergalactic space was taken by what philosopher?
(a) Jean Richer.
(b) Emanuel Kant.
(c) Claudius Ptolemy.
(d) John Harrison.
2. What is the astronomical model in which the Earth and planets revolve around a stationary Sun at the center of the universe?
(b) The Tychonic system.
3. When was Galileo Galilei born?
(b) 220 B.C.
(d) 410 A.D.
4. The author of "An Original Theory or New Hypothesis of the Universe" described the Milky Way as what?
(a) An elliptical radiant.
(b) In quantum flux.
(c) In retrograde motion.
(d) A flattened disc of stars.
5. When was Isaac Newton born?
Short Answer Questions
1. William Herschel was the first astronomer to make "acute, systematic observations of the universe" beyond what?
2. In trigonometry and geometry, what is the process of determining the location of a point by measuring angles to it from known points at either end of a fixed baseline, rather than measuring distances to the point directly?
3. The Islamic followers of whom misinterpreted his calculations and created a model that was cumbersome and impractical?
4. Driven by debt, Galileo invented what which was well-received in Venice?
5. Kant first became interested in space travel after reading a review of what philosopher's book?
This section contains 225 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)