|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Finish the sentence: "Husband, I'll dine above with you to-day and shrive you of a thousand idle _____."
2. What does Antipholus of Syracuse tell the First Merchant he is going to do to pass his time at the end of their conversation in Act 1, Scene 2?
3. What is the name of the servant who banters with Antipholus of Ephesus and his men who are still stuck outside the house in Act 3, Scene 1?
4. What does Adriana tell Dromio of Ephesus to do after he has told his story in Act 2, Scene 1?
5. Who says, "Ay, to a niggardly host, and more sparing guest: but though my cates be mean, take them in good part"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes Angelo and Antipholus of Ephesus to argue in Act 4, Scene 1?
2. How does Adriana react after learning that her husband made advances on her sister?
3. What is the nature of the discussion between Antipholus of Ephesus and Balthazar in Act 3, Scene 1?
4. What does Dromio of Ephesus tell Adriana and Luciana when he returns home in Act 2, Scene 1?
5. What does Antipholus of Ephesus send Dromio of Syracuse to do at the end of Act 4, Scene 1?
6. Why is Antipholus of Syracuse perplexed at the beginning of Act 2, Scene 2?
7. What is the nature of Dromio of Syracuse and Adriana's conversation at the end of Act 4, Scene 2?
8. What is the nature of the conversation between the Abbess and Adriana in Act 5, Scene 1?
9. Why does Antipholus of Syracuse send Dromio of Syracuse to an inn in Act 1, Scene 2?
10. Why does Egion's son leave home at 18?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the portrayal of the loss of freedom in the play. Which characters lost their freedom? In what ways does the author give back their freedom? What might freedom represent in terms of the play's theme?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss and analyze the use of violence in the play. What does violence help to achieve in terms of character development?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the role of the Abbess in the play. What does she represent in societal terms?
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)