|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lola compliment the milkman on?
2. What does Mrs. Coffman say when Lola tells her she is still looking for Little Sheba?
3. What type of flowers does Lola pick in Mrs. Coffman's yard?
4. Lola's mind wanders off and she talks about ________________________.
5. What room does Turk sneak out of?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the irony of Doc's being taken to the hospital for his alcohol abuse problem?
2. What is the symbolism of the javelin in Lola's dream?
3. How does Lola try to make the evening as nice as possible for Marie and Bruce?
4. How does Bruce offer to treat Lola and Doc when he arrives in town?
5. How does Lola engage the milkman to stave off her boredom?
6. What happens that makes Doc see the light about Marie?
7. How is Little Sheba referenced in Lola's dream?
8. Who arrives at the house to help Lola and Mrs. Coffman with Doc?
9. How does Doc perpetuate his denial of Marie's loose behavior?
10. Why does the reality of Marie's behavior stir questions about Lola's behavior in Doc's mind?
Essay Topic 1
The play seems to come full circle from Lola calling out for Little Sheba and then finally realizing that Little Sheba is not going to return. Do you think Lola is really satisfied in her own mind? Or is she just temporarily pacifying Doc? Explain your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the role of married women in the 1950s when the women in the novel are living their married lives. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do the have? What freedoms did they enjoy that 21st century women do not?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Mrs. Coffman. What is her relationship with Lola and Doc? What is her role in the story? What was the author trying to accomplish by creating Mrs. Coffman's character in the play?
This section contains 1,368 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)