|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lola compliment the milkman on?
2. What type of flowers does Lola pick in Mrs. Coffman's yard?
3. What sport does Turk play?
4. What does the milkman do before leaving Lola's house?
5. What does Doc sneak out of the house with?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Mrs. Coffman and what is her relationship with Lola?
2. Who is Lola and how does she make her entrance into the play?
3. What creates an argument between Doc and Lola early into the play?
4. What gesture does Mrs. Coffman extend to Lola while Doc is gone?
5. How does the author show that Lola's attitude about her life has changed?
6. Describe the beginning of the dream that Lola has.
7. How does Mrs. Coffman's opinion of Lola change?
8. What decision does Doc help Lola to make about Little Sheba in her dream?
9. What is the symbolism of the javelin in Lola's dream?
10. What does Lola realize about Doc when he sneaks back into the house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Lola. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her--if anything--at this point in her life?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the taboo of pre-marital sex in the 1950s. Compare and contrast pre-marital sex in America during the 1950s to pre-marital sex in America today. What major changes have occurred, both positive and negative?
Essay Topic 3
The play seems to come full circle from Lola calling out for Little Sheba and then finally realizing that Little Sheba is not going to return. Do you think Lola is really satisfied in her own mind? Or is she just temporarily pacifying Doc? Explain your opinion.
This section contains 782 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)