|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Marie find in her room?
2. What does Lola complain about in Act 1, Scene 1?
3. What item does Lola purchase for the house?
4. What does Doc say will make him want a drink?
5. Who is Marie drawing for an entry into an art contest?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Lola deceiving Marie about her telegram?
2. What does Lola reveal about her history with Doc?
3. How does the author use Doc's sneaking the whiskey out under his raincoat as foreshadowing?
4. Why does the reality of Marie's behavior stir questions about Lola's behavior in Doc's mind?
5. What metaphor does Lola use when she thinks about how the days of her youth have vanished?
6. How does Doc approach Lola on the issue of the opened telegram?
7. Explain the symbolism of the fading lilacs and Lola's fading youth.
8. How does Marie hurt Lola after Doc just gets her calmed down?
9. How is Little Sheba referenced in Lola's dream?
10. What does Doc sneak out of the house with while Marie and Lola set the table?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Alcohol takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Lola. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her--if anything--at this point in her life?
Essay Topic 3
The play seems to come full circle from Lola calling out for Little Sheba and then finally realizing that Little Sheba is not going to return. Do you think Lola is really satisfied in her own mind? Or is she just temporarily pacifying Doc? Explain your opinion.
This section contains 753 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)