|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What amazes Mrs. Coffman about Lola's house?
2. Doc wonders if Lola _____________________.
3. What does Lola do after Marie and Turk leave the house?
4. What item does Lola purchase for the house?
5. When is Bruce expected to arrive?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the irony of Doc's being taken to the hospital for his alcohol abuse problem?
2. What does Lola's dream tell her about letting go of the past and moving forward?
3. What discovery does Lola make as Act 2, Scene 3 begins?
4. How does Lola try to make the evening as nice as possible for Marie and Bruce?
5. Why does the reality of Marie's behavior stir questions about Lola's behavior in Doc's mind?
6. What irrational behavior does Doc exhibit in his rage toward Lola?
7. What does Doc hear which makes him leave the house without even telling Lola he is leaving?
8. What does Lola's dream symbolize?
9. What negative comment does Marie make about the bouquet of lilacs?
10. Describe the beginning of the dream that Lola has.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses some important instances of flashbacks in the story. Explain what a flashback is and cite at least two making sure to explain what makes each a flashback.
Essay Topic 2
Alcohol abuse seems to be an unnamed character in the book. How pervasive is the abuse? Why does it have such a prevalent place in the characters' lives? How does it affect the abusers? How does it affect those impacted by the abusers? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character.
Essay Topic 3
The play seems to come full circle from Lola calling out for Little Sheba and then finally realizing that Little Sheba is not going to return. Do you think Lola is really satisfied in her own mind? Or is she just temporarily pacifying Doc? Explain your opinion.
This section contains 799 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)