|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Doc wonders if Lola _____________________.
2. What does Lola compliment the milkman on?
3. Marie makes fun of Lola's ______________.
4. What is the setting for Act 1, Scene 1?
5. What does Lola ask Doc to do when she returns?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author show that Lola's attitude about her life has changed?
2. Why does the reality of Marie's behavior stir questions about Lola's behavior in Doc's mind?
3. What is Lola's incentive to clean her house?
4. Why does Lola change her mind about Mrs. Coffman's involvement in Little Sheba's disappearance?
5. What decision does Doc help Lola to make about Little Sheba in her dream?
6. How does the author use Doc's sneaking the whiskey out under his raincoat as foreshadowing?
7. Explain the symbolism of the fading lilacs and Lola's fading youth.
8. How does Doc react to the news that he is going to the hospital?
9. What lie does Lola tell about why Doc cannot be home for dinner?
10. How does Lola try to assuage her boredom with the new postman?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are several events of foreshadowing in the play. Define foreshadowing. Cite at least two situations in the story that serve as foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 2
Inge uses more than one instance of irony in the book. Cite at least two examples you can identify in the play and note why they are examples of irony.
Essay Topic 3
Alcohol takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)