|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Marie and Turk do that upsets Doc?
2. Why is Doc perturbed when he sees Turk in his living room?
3. What does Mrs. Coffman now feel for Lola?
4. What is the setting for Act 1, Scene 1?
5. What does Marie find in her room?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Mrs. Coffman and what is her relationship with Lola?
2. Describe the beginning of the dream that Lola has.
3. Why does Lola change her mind about Mrs. Coffman's involvement in Little Sheba's disappearance?
4. Why does Lola turn frantic in the kitchen and what action does she take?
5. What is Lola's incentive to clean her house?
6. What lie does Lola tell about why Doc cannot be home for dinner?
7. How does the author show that Lola's attitude about her life has changed?
8. What irrational behavior does Doc exhibit in his rage toward Lola?
9. How do Doc and Lola differ in their opinions of Marie's friend, Turk?
10. Who is Lola and how does she make her entrance into the play?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Inge's use of humor in the play. Cite examples of at least two different instances of humor and explain why the author used them where he did.
Essay Topic 2
Project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for the lives of Doc and Lola. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, hobbies, socialization, etc.
Essay Topic 3
Alcohol takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
This section contains 1,343 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)