|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Doc's plans for tonight?
2. What does Doc stare at while waiting for Lola to get her coat?
3. Lola's mind wanders off and she talks about ________________________.
4. Who does Doc tell that he has heard Turk laughing?
5. What does Mrs. Coffman say when Lola tells her she is still looking for Little Sheba?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Little Sheba referenced in Lola's dream?
2. What does Lola tell Doc that disgusts him?
3. What is the irony of Doc's being taken to the hospital for his alcohol abuse problem?
4. Explain the symbolism of the fading lilacs and Lola's fading youth.
5. What does Lola's dream symbolize?
6. Who is Lola and how does she make her entrance into the play?
7. What does Lola ask Doc to do after she returns from Mrs. Coffman's house?
8. How does Lola engage the milkman to stave off her boredom?
9. How does the author use Doc's sneaking the whiskey out under his raincoat as foreshadowing?
10. How does Bruce offer to treat Lola and Doc when he arrives in town?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses some important instances of flashbacks in the story. Explain what a flashback is and cite at least two making sure to explain what makes each a flashback.
Essay Topic 2
There is much symbolism in this story regarding Little Sheba. What does Little Sheba symbolize for Julia? What does Little Sheba mean for Doc?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the overall setting for the play. Why does Inge use the setting he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)