|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the setting for Act 1, Scene 1?
2. What does Lola say Marie and Turk were doing last night?
3. What does Doc do when Lola tells him about Marie and Turk making out last night?
4. Who does Lola invite in for a glass of water?
5. What was Doc retuning home to get?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the symbolism of the javelin in Lola's dream?
2. Who is Mrs. Coffman and what is her relationship with Lola?
3. What vulgar name does Doc call Marie and Lola and why prompts him to do so?
4. How is Little Sheba referenced in Lola's dream?
5. What does Doc say to Lola and Marie after he encounters Turk sneaking out of Marie's room?
6. What happens that makes Doc see the light about Marie?
7. How does Lola try to assuage her boredom with the new postman?
8. What gesture does Mrs. Coffman extend to Lola while Doc is gone?
9. What is the irony of Doc's being taken to the hospital for his alcohol abuse problem?
10. Why does the reality of Marie's behavior stir questions about Lola's behavior in Doc's mind?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Inge uses more than one instance of irony in the book. Cite at least two examples you can identify in the play and note why they are examples of irony.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Doc. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point in his life?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role of married women in the 1950s when the women in the novel are living their married lives. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do the have? What freedoms did they enjoy that 21st century women do not?
This section contains 790 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)