|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lola spend the day doing in Act 1, Scene 2?
2. Who does Doc tell that he has heard Turk laughing?
3. What does Lola ask Doc to do for Marie and Turk?
4. What time did Marie come home last night?
5. What does Marie help Lola do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What makes Mrs. Coffman come running into Lola's house?
2. Explain how Lola's loneliness continues to impact her life.
3. How does Lola engage the milkman to stave off her boredom?
4. Who is Mrs. Coffman and what is her relationship with Lola?
5. What behavioral changes does Lola exhibit in this scene?
6. What is the irony of Doc's being taken to the hospital for his alcohol abuse problem?
7. What does Doc say to Lola and Marie after he encounters Turk sneaking out of Marie's room?
8. What questions does Lola bombard Doc with about their life together and what is Doc's reply?
9. What does Lola's dream tell her about letting go of the past and moving forward?
10. How does the author show that Little Sheba symbolizes the life Lola used to have and still longs for?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of married women in the 1950s when the women in the novel are living their married lives. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do the have? What freedoms did they enjoy that 21st century women do not?
Essay Topic 2
Alcohol abuse seems to be an unnamed character in the book. How pervasive is the abuse? Why does it have such a prevalent place in the characters' lives? How does it affect the abusers? How does it affect those impacted by the abusers? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character.
Essay Topic 3
Explain Inge's use of humor in the play. Cite examples of at least two different instances of humor and explain why the author used them where he did.
This section contains 1,488 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)