|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Doc promise to do for Lola?
2. Lola asks Doc if he regrets _________________.
3. What does Marie help Lola do?
4. What does Doc think of Turk?
5. What item of Marie's does Doc see in the living room?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who arrives at the house to help Lola and Mrs. Coffman with Doc?
2. What metaphor does Lola use when she thinks about how the days of her youth have vanished?
3. What gesture does Mrs. Coffman extend to Lola while Doc is gone?
4. How does Doc know Ed and what does Lola tell Ed?
5. Explain the symbolism of the fading lilacs and Lola's fading youth.
6. What is the irony of Doc's being taken to the hospital for his alcohol abuse problem?
7. What discovery does Lola make as Act 2, Scene 3 begins?
8. How does Doc approach Lola on the issue of the opened telegram?
9. What happens that makes Doc see the light about Marie?
10. What negative comment does Marie make about the bouquet of lilacs?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Lola. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her--if anything--at this point in her life?
Essay Topic 2
Project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for the lives of Doc and Lola. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, hobbies, socialization, etc.
Essay Topic 3
Alcohol abuse seems to be an unnamed character in the book. How pervasive is the abuse? Why does it have such a prevalent place in the characters' lives? How does it affect the abusers? How does it affect those impacted by the abusers? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character.
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)