Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Doc's plans for tonight?
2. Who leaves the house after Mrs. Coffman leaves?
3. What does Doc sneak out of the house with?
4. Lola tells Doc that Marie was with whom last night?
5. Where does Doc hide the bottle of whiskey?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the irony of Doc's being taken to the hospital for his alcohol abuse problem?
2. How does Bruce offer to treat Lola and Doc when he arrives in town?
3. Why does Lola turn frantic in the kitchen and what action does she take?
4. What does Lola reveal about her history with Doc?
5. Why does the group decide not to go to the hotel for dinner?
6. What does Lola tell Doc that disgusts him?
7. What negative comment does Marie make about the bouquet of lilacs?
8. Who is Mrs. Coffman and what is her relationship with Lola?
9. What irrational behavior does Doc exhibit in his rage toward Lola?
10. Who is Lola and how does she make her entrance into the play?
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of married women in the 1950s when the women in the novel are living their married lives. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do the have? What freedoms did they enjoy that 21st century women do not?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two themes about loss in the book. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the taboo of pre-marital sex in the 1950s. Compare and contrast pre-marital sex in America during the 1950s to pre-marital sex in America today. What major changes have occurred, both positive and negative?
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)