|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lola spend the day doing in Act 1, Scene 2?
2. Whose voice does Doc say he heard last night?
3. What does Doc think of Turk?
4. How long ago did Doc propose to Lola?
5. Turk tells Marie that Doc __________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Lola try to assuage her boredom with the new postman?
2. What does Doc say to Lola and Marie after he encounters Turk sneaking out of Marie's room?
3. What does Doc say he heard in the house last night?
4. How does Doc approach Lola on the issue of the opened telegram?
5. What are Marie's feelings about Turk and Bruce?
6. What negative comment does Marie make about the bouquet of lilacs?
7. How does Bruce offer to treat Lola and Doc when he arrives in town?
8. What does Lola talk about that makes Doc irritated?
9. What is the irony of Doc's being taken to the hospital for his alcohol abuse problem?
10. How does Marie hurt Lola after Doc just gets her calmed down?
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of married women in the 1950s when the women in the novel are living their married lives. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do the have? What freedoms did they enjoy that 21st century women do not?
Essay Topic 2
Inge uses more than one instance of irony in the book. Cite at least two examples you can identify in the play and note why they are examples of irony.
Essay Topic 3
Explain Inge's use of humor in the play. Cite examples of at least two different instances of humor and explain why the author used them where he did.
This section contains 1,402 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)