|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What, according to the author, was the fatal mistake reporters made when questioning students?
2. What was Judy Brown's response when Wayne Harris said Eric had confessed to being afraid of her?
3. What advice did Brad and Misty get when they discovered the letters in Cassie's room that spoke of sex and violence?
4. How many times did the Browns say they had contacted the police to warn about Eric's violent behavior?
5. Where was Patrick when he had his first full-blown seizure?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were the messages from Dylan and Eric about their parents on the final edition of the Basement Tapes?
2. What were the main points of the "how-to guides" issued by the government in the years following Columbine?
3. What did some students believe to be a major problem with the way Mr. DeAngelo ran the school?
4. What piece of evidence did Fuselier discover that led him to the conclusion that Eric and Dylan hadn't targeted individual students and what was it that made that clear to him?
5. Why did the Jefco Sheriff say it took so long for police to get into the building and bring the victims out?
6. At the end of chapter one, the author noted the massacre at Columbine would become known as "the worst school shooting in America." Why would that have appalled Dylan and Eric?
7. What did Fuselier realize was the biggest danger for the community when the idea of a third conspirator was eventually disproved?
8. What was the problem Misty Bernall and her publisher faced with regard to Misty's book about Cassie's death and what were her decision?
9. Describe the story Dylan had written for a creative writing assignment, where he got his information, and the reaction of his teacher.
10. Why did the kids begin referring to the "Columbine Curse?"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the Basement Tapes, their contents, and their effect on the investigation. What did investigators learn from those tapes?
Essay Topic 2
What was the official response to the shooting? Who was initially in charge? What was the situation at the scene in the moments after the shooting was reported? What changed about police protocol after the Columbine shooting?
Essay Topic 3
What was the popular myth circulated about Cassie Bernall's death? What was the truth? Why did the churches continue to tell the myth as fact? What were the reactions of her parents both to the myth and to the truth?
This section contains 1,020 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)