|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Death sits in his garden sharpening his scythe, who pays Death a visit?
2. Why is Rincewind skeptical about riding the dragon to Wyrmberg?
3. What are the pilots of the vessel about to be launched called?
4. What does Rincewind realize about the field the three travelers stop to rest in?
5. As the ship begins to move down the rails for launch, how do the original pilots try to derail the ship?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Rincewind tell Twoflower not to worry about the Luggage when Twoflower assumes that the Luggage will be lost to him forever?
2. What is the hooded figure's reply when Rincewind mocks him as Twoflower and Rincewind are boarding the vessel?
3. How are the dragons Twoflower sees in Wyrmberg different from the dragons that Twoflower imagined as a child?
4. Why does the Lady not have a temple built in her honor?
5. Why does Rincewind tell the dragon rider that he will never surrender?
6. As Death sits in his garden sharpening his scythe, why does Death no longer feel the need to chase Rincewind and Twoflower?
7. Why does the client maim Goldeneyes after Goldeneyes completes each job?
8. Why does the city of Krull have a very nautical feel to it?
9. What is the reward Goldeneyes has been promised for building the fish-shaped craft?
10. Why does the captain of the ship that rescued Twoflower and Rincewind tell his men to get into the raft and set the ship on fire?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Magic is an integral part of this story. The story consists of many magical places, magical characters, and wizards. Describe the role magic plays in the story. How do different characters use magic in different situations? When is magic used for self-protection, defense, or aggression? How does belief in magic affect the use of magic? How does this belief or lack thereof impact the characters and their resulting situations?
Essay Topic 2
The theme of loyalty is evident throughout the novel. Rincewind's loyalties, for instance, lie with himself and his loyalty only goes as deep as his pockets. Discuss how the theme of loyalty is portrayed through the eyes of Rincewind, the Luggage, and Hrun. Support your observations.
Essay Topic 3
Chapter One begins with researchers trying to examine the Great A'Tuin in order to figure out how and why their universe was created.
a. Compare and contrast the main theories operating in Discworld as to the great turtle and what its purpose is.
b. How does the exploration of the universe's creation in the story parallel efforts in today's world to determine our world's creation?
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)