|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the old man sitting in the magical energy room tell Twoflower?
2. What are the pilots of the vessel about to be launched called?
3. What happens to the slave ship after Twoflower and Rincewind escape from it?
4. Who made the deal with the arch-Astronomer to offer a sacrifice so that the danger of the attempt to learn Great A'Tuin's gender will be lessened?
5. As Death sits in his garden sharpening his scythe, who pays Death a visit?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Rincewind tell the dragon rider that he will never surrender?
2. Why does Rincewind tell Twoflower not to worry about the Luggage when Twoflower assumes that the Luggage will be lost to him forever?
3. What happens when Hrun tosses a coin into the air as the travelers are resting in the field?
4. How does Twoflower escape from his cell?
5. What is the reward Goldeneyes has been promised for building the fish-shaped craft?
6. Why do Rincewind and Twoflower seek refuge on the ship in Chapter 4?
7. What is the hooded figure's reply when Rincewind mocks him as Twoflower and Rincewind are boarding the vessel?
8. As Death sits in his garden sharpening his scythe, why does Death no longer feel the need to chase Rincewind and Twoflower?
9. After completing the mortal combat and as Hrun is taking the wine cup from Liessa, he suddenly disappears. Why?
10. At the end of the novel, while Rincewind wants to get off the ship, Twoflower wants to stay aboard. Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Luggage accompanies Twoflower to Morpork and follows Twoflower throughout the entire story.
a. What is the author's intent in creating a magical creature that follows the main character throughout the story?
b. What are Luggage's three most prominent characteristics? How do these characteristics impact the main character's life and actions as the story progresses?
Essay Topic 2
The story begins in Ankh-Morpork and ends in Krull. While these two cities are very different in some ways, there are many similarities between the two cities as well. Compare and contrast the cities of Ankh-Morpork and Krull in terms of the city itself, the people living there, and those in leadership positions.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses two different literary techniques as the story is told. Describe the techniques of both flashbacks and foreshadowing. How are each of these techniques used in the story? Give specific examples of each technique. Why might the author have chosen to use both of these techniques in the story? Was the story enhanced by the use of these two techniques? Why or why not?
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)