|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As the three travelers are resting in the field, who is watching the three men through the scrying glass?
2. How does Rincewind learn that the area he is entering on the back of a dragon is full of magic?
3. What do Twoflower and Rincewind learn about their future in the place they're taken to from the vessel?
4. With only thirty minutes left before the vessel's launch, what is one of the Master Launchcontroller's concerns?
5. As Chapter Four opens, where is the boat Rincewind and Twoflower are In?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the end of the novel, while Rincewind wants to get off the ship, Twoflower wants to stay aboard. Why?
2. According to the Loremaster, what must happen before a succession can occur?
3. When Rincewind rescues Hrun's sword from the tree the sword is stuck in, what does the sword tell Rincewind?
4. Why do Rincewind and Twoflower seek refuge on the ship in Chapter 4?
5. How are the dragons Twoflower sees in Wyrmberg different from the dragons that Twoflower imagined as a child?
6. What happens when Hrun tosses a coin into the air as the travelers are resting in the field?
7. As the vessel lifts off to return Rincewind and Twoflower to Krull, why is Twoflower unworried?
8. As Rincewind flies into the cavern full of dragons amidst the armed guards, what does Kring tell Rincewind?
9. After completing the mortal combat and as Hrun is taking the wine cup from Liessa, he suddenly disappears. Why?
10. Why does the city of Krull have a very nautical feel to it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Chapter One begins with researchers trying to examine the Great A'Tuin in order to figure out how and why their universe was created.
a. Compare and contrast the main theories operating in Discworld as to the great turtle and what its purpose is.
b. How does the exploration of the universe's creation in the story parallel efforts in today's world to determine our world's creation?
Essay Topic 2
The Luggage accompanies Twoflower to Morpork and follows Twoflower throughout the entire story.
a. What is the author's intent in creating a magical creature that follows the main character throughout the story?
b. What are Luggage's three most prominent characteristics? How do these characteristics impact the main character's life and actions as the story progresses?
Essay Topic 3
Many times throughout the story, Rincewind's wizardry skills come into question. Describe Rincewind's magical capabilities. How do his magical capabilities both help and hinder the situations that he and Twoflower find themselves in? Provide specific examples. How does being called a "gutter wizard" effect Rincewind's self-esteem, confidence, and willingness to prove himself a "real" magician? Support your answer.
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)