|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character narrates Poem Fifteen?
2. How many kids do the main character and Beau have in Poem Nineteen?
3. According to the narrator of Poem Fourteen, what is she looking for in a man?
4. According to Poem Ten, at what time do women from Louisiana shell peas?
5. Which character narrates Poem Fourteen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In many of the poems, Shange chronicles the relationships of African American women and men. How does she portray these relationships? What is the significance of these relationships? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Based on the play, why is freedom a major theme? How does the playwright express the theme of freedom through the characters? Please use specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
The narrator describes a number of relationships in this play. How does she portray these relationships? Why does she portray them this way? What is significant about these relationships? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 208 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)