|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What event occurred that made the narrator of Poem Thirteen change the way that she danced?
2. According to the narrator of Poem Fourteen, what is she looking for in a man?
3. Which character narrates Poem Fourteen?
4. What happens when the main character arrives to the docks at the end of Poem Nine?
5. What was the profession of the main character in Poem Eight?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In many of the poems, Shange chronicles the relationships of African American women and men. How does she portray these relationships? What is the significance of these relationships? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
How does the author portray African American culture in the play? What is significant about her portrayal? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of the songs and music in the play? Why do you think the author chose these particular songs? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 262 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)