|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when the main character arrives to the docks at the end of Poem Nine?
2. At the end of Poem Eighteen, what suggestion does the narrator make to the person with whom she is speaking with?
3. Who does the narrator in Poem Seventeen say should handle her stuff?
4. What themes are the poems in Sequence Four built around?
5. In Poem Fourteen, how does the narrator describe pleasuring herself through thought?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The play is about discovering joy, power, and freedom. How do the characters try to discover these things? What journey do they have to take to overcome oppression and repression? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Shange writes about the African American woman's struggle to find her own identity in the United States. Based on the play, how do African American women discover their identity? What journey do they have to take in order to gain their identity? Is their identity already there and they just have to "rediscover" it? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Based on the play, why is freedom a major theme? How does the playwright express the theme of freedom through the characters? Please use specific examples from the book.
This section contains 302 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)