|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Beau do differently in his last attempt to win the main character back in Poem Nineteen?
2. What does the narrator say to begin Poem Sixteen?
3. What does the narrator in Poem Seventeen want the person to do with her "stuff"?
4. Who does the narrator in Poem Seventeen say should handle her stuff?
5. In Poem Eleven, how does the narrator describe her current universe at the end of the poem?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sisterhood is another theme in For Colored Girls Who Have Considered Suicide/When the Rainbow is Enuf. How does the playwright use the play to celebrate the sisterhood that exists between African American women? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
The play is about discovering joy, power, and freedom. How do the characters try to discover these things? What journey do they have to take to overcome oppression and repression? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Poem nineteen, "A Nite with Beau Wille Brown," is a longer narrative than many of the other poems in the play. Why do you think Shange chose to make this poem a longer narrative than the others in the play? How else does this poem differ from the others in the play? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 324 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)