|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Beau's daughter in Poem Nineteen?
2. According to the narrator, what happens when Beau learns that the main character is pregnant again in Poem Nineteen?
3. Who does the narrator in Poem Fifteen suggest that black women should act like?
4. At the end of Poem Eighteen, what suggestion does the narrator make to the person with whom she is speaking with?
5. How many kids do the main character and Beau have in Poem Nineteen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the end of the play, the lady in brown's final words are, "This is for colored girls who have considered suicide/but are movin to the ends of their own rainbow." What does this statement mean? What do colored girls have to do in order to move "to the ends of their own rainbow"? What is required of them? Please use specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Why does the playwright choose to craft the narrative of the play out of poems instead of conversational text? What are the pros and cons of using this technique? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Why does Shange choose not to name the characters? What is the significance of not naming the characters? How would naming the characters change the dynamics of the play? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 275 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)