|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How are the poems in Sequence Four different from earlier poems in the play?
2. According to the narrator, what happens when Beau learns that the main character is pregnant again in Poem Nineteen?
3. Who does the narrator in Poem Fifteen suggest that black women should act like?
4. What does Beau do differently in his last attempt to win the main character back in Poem Nineteen?
5. What is the story about in Poem Twelve?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of music and dance in the play, For Colored Girls Who Have Considered Suicide/When the Rainbow Is Enuf? How is music and dance used in the play? Please use specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
How does the author portray African American culture in the play? What is significant about her portrayal? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
The play describes urban African American life. Why do the women in the play not live in the cities, but "outside" of the cities? How does this relate to the theme of freedom? Please use specific examples from the book.
This section contains 275 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)