|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the main character in Poem Nine meet at the docks?
2. Who takes the "stuff" in Poem Seventeen?
3. Where does the narrator say she "usedta live" in Poem Eleven?
4. According to the narrator, what happens when Beau learns that the main character is pregnant again in Poem Nineteen?
5. What does Beau threaten to do if the main character does not marry him in Poem Nineteen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Based on the play, why is freedom a major theme? How does the playwright express the theme of freedom through the characters? Please use specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
How does the author portray African American culture in the play? What is significant about her portrayal? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
The narrator describes a number of relationships in this play. How does she portray these relationships? Why does she portray them this way? What is significant about these relationships? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 230 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)