|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How big does the narrator say her universe is in Poem Eleven?
2. What dilemmas does the narrator in Poem Sixteen believe she is caught up in?
3. What does Poem Thirteen's narrator say she tried to bring into people's lives?
4. In Poem Fourteen, what does the narrator say she lacks in order to look for love?
5. What is the title of Poem Seventeen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sisterhood is another theme in For Colored Girls Who Have Considered Suicide/When the Rainbow is Enuf. How does the playwright use the play to celebrate the sisterhood that exists between African American women? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
The play describes urban African American life. Why do the women in the play not live in the cities, but "outside" of the cities? How does this relate to the theme of freedom? Please use specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
How does the playwright use sexuality and sensuality to describe the differences that exist between African American women and women of other races? Why does the author use sexuality and sensuality to show differences between women of different races? Please use specific examples from the book.
This section contains 1,039 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)