|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of poem sequence four, which character dances and wakes up the other characters from their frozen state?
2. What is the story about in Poem Twelve?
3. In what section of the library does the main character of Poem Nine find the books Cajun Katie and Christopher Robin?
4. What does the narrator in Poem Seventeen want the person to do with her "stuff"?
5. Where did the main character Beau return from psychologically damaged in Poem Nineteen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the playwright use sexuality and sensuality to describe the differences that exist between African American women and women of other races? Why does the author use sexuality and sensuality to show differences between women of different races? Please use specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
The play describes urban African American life. Why do the women in the play not live in the cities, but "outside" of the cities? How does this relate to the theme of freedom? Please use specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
How does the author portray African American culture in the play? What is significant about her portrayal? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 276 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)