|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the characters ironically suggest in Poem Six?
2. In Poem One, which character(s) say(s), "mama's little baby likes shortnin bread"?
3. What is the story in Poem Seven about?
4. In Poem One, which character(s) say(s), "an put your hands on your hips/ an let your backbone slip"?
5. In Poem Two, how does the poem's main character feel after she and her friends had a lot to drink, danced, and got sexy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the poetic imagery in Poem Seven.
2. What is ironic about Poem Six?
3. How is dance used in Poem Two?
4. How does the language change at the end of Poem Nineteen? At what point at the end of the play does the language change?
5. What is the purpose of Poem Seven?
6. What is the purpose of Poem Six?
7. How is dance used in Poem Four?
8. How does the final poem sum up the dramatic and thematic journey of the play?
9. Describe Poem Nine.
10. Describe the language used in Poem Nine.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is For Colored Girls Who Have Considered Suicide/When the Rainbow is Enuf a feminist work? Why or Why not? Please use specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
The play is about discovering joy, power, and freedom. How do the characters try to discover these things? What journey do they have to take to overcome oppression and repression? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Poem nineteen, "A Nite with Beau Wille Brown," is a longer narrative than many of the other poems in the play. Why do you think Shange chose to make this poem a longer narrative than the others in the play? How else does this poem differ from the others in the play? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 1,004 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)