|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Poem One, which character(s) say(s), "mama's little baby likes shortnin bread"?
2. In Poem Seven, which character says,"tubes tables white washed windows/ grime from age wiped over once"?
3. Based on Poem One, what is this play about?
4. What does the main character in Poem Four make a list of?
5. Who does the character in Poem Seven say she could not have see her in her current situation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What theme(s) are evident in Poem One and what is the meaning of this theme?
2. What is the purpose of Poem Seven?
3. What is ironic about Poem Six?
4. Describe Poem Three.
5. Describe the language used in Poem Nine.
6. Describe the language and imagery in Poem Four.
7. How is dance used in Poem Three?
8. Describe Poem Nine.
9. Describe the character in Poem Thirteen.
10. Why does the lady in brown open and close the play?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the end of the play, the lady in brown's final words are, "This is for colored girls who have considered suicide/but are movin to the ends of their own rainbow." What does this statement mean? What do colored girls have to do in order to move "to the ends of their own rainbow"? What is required of them? Please use specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
The play is about discovering joy, power, and freedom. How do the characters try to discover these things? What journey do they have to take to overcome oppression and repression? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of the songs and music in the play? Why do you think the author chose these particular songs? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 1,170 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)