|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Poem One, which character says, "and this is for colored girls who have considered suicide/but moved to the end of their own rainbows"?
2. What is the last line of Poem Seven?
3. How does the narrator in Poem Seven tell her story?
4. Early in Poem Three, what is the main character's favorite type of music?
5. What does the lady in orange do at the end of Poem Four?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to the stage directions, how does Sequence Four end?
2. Describe Poem Nine.
3. What is the theme of Poem Three? How is this a theme of the poem?
4. Why does the playwright use music in the play?
5. Why does the lady in green call on white women and other men in Poem Seventeen?
6. What metaphors are apparent in Poem Seventeen? What do these metaphors represent?
7. Why do the women describe themselves as living outside of the cities in Poem One?
8. Describe the poetic imagery in Poem Six.
9. Describe the language and imagery in Poem Thirteen.
10. Why do the characters end the play on a good note, despite the journey?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Based on the play, why is freedom a major theme? How does the playwright express the theme of freedom through the characters? Please use specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Based on the play, which colored girls have considered suicide? Why have they considered suicide? What do these women have in common? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Sisterhood is another theme in For Colored Girls Who Have Considered Suicide/When the Rainbow is Enuf. How does the playwright use the play to celebrate the sisterhood that exists between African American women? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 1,092 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)