|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What ties Poems Six and Seven in Sequence Two together?
2. How does the character in Poem Seven feel mentally about her situation?
3. What is the first word spoken in Poem Seven?
4. In Sequence One, which character says, "sneakin in under age to slug's/ to stare ata real 'artiste'/ & every word outta imamu's mouth waz gospel"?
5. In Poem One, which character(s) say(s), "an put your hands on your hips/ an let your backbone slip"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the character in Poem Thirteen.
2. What theme(s) are evident in Poem One and what is the meaning of this theme?
3. What is the purpose of Poem Six?
4. Describe Poem Two.
5. Why do the characters end the play on a good note, despite the journey?
6. According to the stage directions, how does Sequence Four end?
7. Who is the main character in Poem Eight? What story does the lady in purple share about this character?
8. What links Poems Six and Seven together?
9. What happens in Poem Twelve? How do the women deal with the situation that arises?
10. Why do the women describe themselves as living outside of the cities in Poem One?
Essay Topic 1
The play describes urban African American life. Why do the women in the play not live in the cities, but "outside" of the cities? How does this relate to the theme of freedom? Please use specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
How does the playwright use colloquial language in the play? Why is it necessary for her to use colloquial language in this type of work? Please use specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Shange writes about the African American woman's struggle to find her own identity in the United States. Based on the play, how do African American women discover their identity? What journey do they have to take in order to gain their identity? Is their identity already there and they just have to "rediscover" it? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 1,800 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)