|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Poem Six, which character says, "pin-ups attached to the insides of his lapels"?
2. In Poem One, which character(s) say(s), "mama's little baby likes shortnin bread"?
3. At the end of Poem One, what type of colored girls does the narrator say this play is for?
4. What is the setting of this work?
5. How does the main character in Poem Four refer to her relationship with her former boyfriend?
Short Essay Questions
1. What contrasts are made in Poem Fifteen?
2. Describe the language used in Poem Nine.
3. What is the theme of Poem Three? How is this a theme of the poem?
4. Describe the language and imagery in Poem Two.
5. Describe Poem Four.
6. How does the lady in yellow begin Poem Sixteen? What feelings does she convey in the poem?
7. What happened to the main character's "stuff" in Poem Seventeen?
8. What reason do the characters give for dancing?
9. According to the stage directions, how does Sequence Four end?
10. Describe the language and imagery in Poem Four.
Essay Topic 1
Based on the play, which colored girls have considered suicide? Why have they considered suicide? What do these women have in common? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Sisterhood is another theme in For Colored Girls Who Have Considered Suicide/When the Rainbow is Enuf. How does the playwright use the play to celebrate the sisterhood that exists between African American women? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
How does the playwright use colloquial language in the play? Why is it necessary for her to use colloquial language in this type of work? Please use specific examples from the book.
This section contains 2,043 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)