|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the purpose of Poem One?
2. In Poem Two, how does the poem's main character feel after she and her friends had a lot to drink, danced, and got sexy?
3. Who is the artist that sings the song at the start of Poem Six?
4. How does the main character in Poem Four refer to her relationship with her former boyfriend?
5. Which character relays the main narrative in Poem Two?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the character in Poem Thirteen.
2. How are the poems in Sequence Two linked to each other?
3. Describe the language and imagery in Poem Four.
4. Based on the information in Poem One, what is the play about?
5. Describe Poem Three.
6. Describe the language used in Poem One.
7. What does the lady in brown mean in Poem One when she says, "dark phrases of womanhood/ of never havin been a girl/ half-notes scattered/ without rhythm/ no tune"?
8. What does dance represent at the beginning of Sequence Four? What does dance represent at the end of Sequence Four?
9. What links Poems Six and Seven together?
10. How did the lady in red discover God?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the end of the play, the lady in brown's final words are, "This is for colored girls who have considered suicide/but are movin to the ends of their own rainbow." What does this statement mean? What do colored girls have to do in order to move "to the ends of their own rainbow"? What is required of them? Please use specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
How does the playwright use colloquial language in the play? Why is it necessary for her to use colloquial language in this type of work? Please use specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
The play describes urban African American life. Why do the women in the play not live in the cities, but "outside" of the cities? How does this relate to the theme of freedom? Please use specific examples from the book.
This section contains 994 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)