|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first word spoken in Poem Seven?
2. In Poem Six, which characters narrate the poem?
3. In Poem Six, which character says, "pin-ups attached to the insides of his lapels"?
4. In Poem Two, how does the poem's main character feel after she and her friends had a lot to drink, danced, and got sexy?
5. In Poem Two, what happened to the poem's main character the day after the party?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the language and imagery in Poem Four.
2. Describe the character in Poem Thirteen.
3. Describe the language and imagery in Poem Two.
4. Who is the main character in Poem Eight? What story does the lady in purple share about this character?
5. Describe the language used in Poem Nine.
6. How did the lady in red discover God?
7. Based on the information in Poem One, what is the play about?
8. What does the lady in blue talk about in Poem Fifteen?
9. What does dance represent at the beginning of Sequence Four? What does dance represent at the end of Sequence Four?
10. What contrasts and juxtapositions are apparent at the beginning of Poem Eleven?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The play is about discovering joy, power, and freedom. How do the characters try to discover these things? What journey do they have to take to overcome oppression and repression? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Based on the play, why is freedom a major theme? How does the playwright express the theme of freedom through the characters? Please use specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
At the end of the play, the lady in brown's final words are, "This is for colored girls who have considered suicide/but are movin to the ends of their own rainbow." What does this statement mean? What do colored girls have to do in order to move "to the ends of their own rainbow"? What is required of them? Please use specific examples from the book.
This section contains 1,164 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)