|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Poem Six, which character says,"these men friends of ours/ who smile nice/ stay employed/ and take us out to dinner"?
2. Which one of these folk songs does the cast of the play sing in Poem One?
3. In Sequence One, which character says, "sneakin in under age to slug's/ to stare ata real 'artiste'/ & every word outta imamu's mouth waz gospel"?
4. What is the last line of Poem Seven?
5. Who does the lady in brown call to at the beginning of Poem One?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Poem Three.
2. Who is the main character in Poem Eight? What story does the lady in purple share about this character?
3. What reason do the characters give for dancing?
4. Why does the lady in brown open and close the play?
5. What did Beau do after Crystal got a court order? What does Beau do on his last attempt to win Crystal back?
6. Describe Poem Two.
7. Why does the lady in green call on white women and other men in Poem Seventeen?
8. Describe the language and imagery in Poem Four.
9. Describe Poem Four.
10. Describe the language used in Poem Nine.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Shange choose not to name the characters? What is the significance of not naming the characters? How would naming the characters change the dynamics of the play? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
How does the playwright use sexuality and sensuality to describe the differences that exist between African American women and women of other races? Why does the author use sexuality and sensuality to show differences between women of different races? Please use specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
How does the author portray African American culture in the play? What is significant about her portrayal? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 2,075 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)