|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What event is Poem Two about?
2. How many characters run onto the stage at the beginning of For Colored Girls Who Have Considered Suicide When the Rainbow is Enuf?
3. In Sequence One, which character says, "forty poems 2 plants &3 handmade notecards i left/ town so i cd send to you have been no help to me/ on my job"?
4. How does the main character in Poem Four refer to her relationship with her former boyfriend?
5. What does the lady in orange do at the end of Poem Four?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the poems in Sequence Three differ from the other poems in the play?
2. Describe the character in Poem Thirteen.
3. What do the two songs at the end of Poem One represent?
4. According to the stage directions, how does Sequence Four end?
5. How are the poems in Sequence Two linked to each other?
6. How does the language change at the end of Poem Nineteen? At what point at the end of the play does the language change?
7. Describe Poem Three.
8. What does Poem One represent? What is its significance?
9. How does the playwright bring universality to the script in Poem One?
10. Describe the character in Poem Fourteen.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As the individual women tell where they are located at the start of the play, they bring universality to the script. How does the playwright use the characters to bring universality to the script and show that women like the ones in the play are everywhere? Please use specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of the songs and music in the play? Why do you think the author chose these particular songs? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
How does the playwright use sexuality and sensuality to describe the differences that exist between African American women and women of other races? Why does the author use sexuality and sensuality to show differences between women of different races? Please use specific examples from the book.
This section contains 1,004 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)