|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the lady in green from?
2. What event is Poem Two about?
3. In Poem Seven, which character says,"tubes tables white washed windows/ grime from age wiped over once"?
4. What does the main character in Poem Three identify as her race/heritage?
5. How does the main character in Poem Four refer to her relationship with her former boyfriend?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is ironic about Poem Six?
2. Describe the language and imagery in Poem Thirteen.
3. How does the lady in yellow begin Poem Sixteen? What feelings does she convey in the poem?
4. Who is the main character in Poem Ten? What story does the lady in red share about this character?
5. Describe the language used in Poem One.
6. How does the playwright bring universality to the script in Poem One?
7. What issue is discussed in the final poem?
8. What is the purpose of Poem Seven?
9. What do the two songs at the end of Poem One represent?
10. Who is the main character in Poem Eight? What story does the lady in purple share about this character?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the playwright use colloquial language in the play? Why is it necessary for her to use colloquial language in this type of work? Please use specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Based on the play, which colored girls have considered suicide? Why have they considered suicide? What do these women have in common? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
The play describes urban African American life. Why do the women in the play not live in the cities, but "outside" of the cities? How does this relate to the theme of freedom? Please use specific examples from the book.
This section contains 1,871 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)