|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What images are contrasted in Poem Six?
2. Based on Poem One, what is this play about?
3. What ties Poems Six and Seven in Sequence Two together?
4. In Sequence One, which character says, "we rambled from camden to mount holly/ laughin our tassles from the rear view mirror/ climbin different sorta project stairs"?
5. What game do the characters play at the end of the play?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the character in Poem Thirteen.
2. What does Poem One represent? What is its significance?
3. Describe the language and imagery in Poem Two.
4. Describe Poem Two.
5. What contrasts and juxtapositions are apparent at the beginning of Poem Eleven?
6. Why do the women describe themselves as living outside of the cities in Poem One?
7. What clue(s) does the playwright provide to the audience so that they know Poem One is about African American women?
8. What happened to Beau when he came back from the war? Why did Crystal have to get a court order against Beau?
9. How do the poems in Sequence Three differ from the other poems in the play?
10. Describe the language used in Poem Nine.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of music and dance in the play, For Colored Girls Who Have Considered Suicide/When the Rainbow Is Enuf? How is music and dance used in the play? Please use specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Is For Colored Girls Who Have Considered Suicide/When the Rainbow is Enuf a feminist work? Why or Why not? Please use specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
The play describes urban African American life. Why do the women in the play not live in the cities, but "outside" of the cities? How does this relate to the theme of freedom? Please use specific examples from the book.
This section contains 1,874 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)