|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Poem Three, what happened as a result of the main character's favorite musician not playing?
2. In Poem One, which character(s) say(s), "mama's little baby likes shortnin bread"?
3. Who does the main character In Poem Three run off to see?
4. What does the lady in orange do at the end of Poem Four?
5. What are the stage directions for all of the characters on stage at the end Poem Six?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to the stage directions, how does Sequence Four end?
2. What is ironic about Poem Six?
3. Who is the main character in Poem Ten? What story does the lady in red share about this character?
4. How did the lady in red discover God?
5. What do the final lines of the play represent?
6. What issue is discussed in the final poem?
7. Where does the lady in blue move to in Poem Eleven? How does she view her new neighborhood? Why does she view it this way?
8. How do the women move to the ends of their rainbow?
9. How does the playwright bring universality to the script in Poem One?
10. Describe the character in Poem Fourteen.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the author portray African American culture in the play? What is significant about her portrayal? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Is For Colored Girls Who Have Considered Suicide/When the Rainbow is Enuf a feminist work? Why or Why not? Please use specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Poem nineteen, "A Nite with Beau Wille Brown," is a longer narrative than many of the other poems in the play. Why do you think Shange chose to make this poem a longer narrative than the others in the play? How else does this poem differ from the others in the play? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 1,141 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)