|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the main character in Poem Four read to the audience?
2. What type of literary work is For Colored Girls Who Have Considered Suicide When the Rainbow is Enuf?
3. Who does the main character In Poem Three run off to see?
4. What song plays at the beginning of Poem Two?
5. What topic is mentioned in Poem Two that leads the reader into the next poem?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Poem Nine.
2. How are the poems in Sequence Two linked to each other?
3. What theme(s) are evident in Poem One and what is the meaning of this theme?
4. Why does the playwright use music in the play?
5. What is the purpose of Poem Seven?
6. Why does the lady in brown open and close the play?
7. What is the theme of Poem Three? How is this a theme of the poem?
8. What does Poem One represent? What is its significance?
9. How is dance used in Poem Three?
10. Describe the language and imagery in Poem Two.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As the individual women tell where they are located at the start of the play, they bring universality to the script. How does the playwright use the characters to bring universality to the script and show that women like the ones in the play are everywhere? Please use specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
In many of the poems, Shange chronicles the relationships of African American women and men. How does she portray these relationships? What is the significance of these relationships? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Why does the playwright choose to craft the narrative of the play out of poems instead of conversational text? What are the pros and cons of using this technique? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 1,184 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)