|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the second word spoken in Poem Seven?
2. What is Poem Six about?
3. What song plays at the beginning of Poem Two?
4. What similarities exist between the cities that each character says that they are from?
5. How does the character in Poem Seven feel mentally about her situation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Beau do after Crystal got a court order? What does Beau do on his last attempt to win Crystal back?
2. How did the lady in red discover God?
3. Describe Poem Nine.
4. What contrasts are made in Poem Fifteen?
5. Describe the language used in Poem Nine.
6. Describe the poetic imagery in Poem Seven.
7. What links Poems Six and Seven together?
8. Why does the playwright use music in the play?
9. What do the two songs at the end of Poem One represent?
10. Describe Poem Three.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Shange choose not to name the characters? What is the significance of not naming the characters? How would naming the characters change the dynamics of the play? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Shange writes about the African American woman's struggle to find her own identity in the United States. Based on the play, how do African American women discover their identity? What journey do they have to take in order to gain their identity? Is their identity already there and they just have to "rediscover" it? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of music and dance in the play, For Colored Girls Who Have Considered Suicide/When the Rainbow Is Enuf? How is music and dance used in the play? Please use specific examples from the book.
This section contains 1,124 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)