|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Poem Seven, which character says,"tubes tables white washed windows/ grime from age wiped over once"?
2. Who is the artist that sings the song at the start of Poem Six?
3. Based on Poem One, what is a major theme of the play?
4. In Poem Two, what happened to the poem's main character the day after the party?
5. What is the title of Poem One?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Beau do after Crystal got a court order? What does Beau do on his last attempt to win Crystal back?
2. How is dance used in Poem Three?
3. Describe the language and imagery in Poem Four.
4. What does Poem One represent? What is its significance?
5. What is the purpose of Poem Seven?
6. Why does the lady in brown open and close the play?
7. What does the final dance represent?
8. How is dance used in Poem Two?
9. How does the final poem sum up the dramatic and thematic journey of the play?
10. According to the stage directions, how does Sequence Four end?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The play describes urban African American life. Why do the women in the play not live in the cities, but "outside" of the cities? How does this relate to the theme of freedom? Please use specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
In many of the poems, Shange chronicles the relationships of African American women and men. How does she portray these relationships? What is the significance of these relationships? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Although the majority of the characters in the playare African American, the narrator does choose to include a character of African and Latin American roots in poem three. Why do you think the author included this character? How does she change the dynamics of the play? What is significant about this character? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 1,027 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)