|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What similarities exist between the cities that each character says that they are from?
2. In Poem One, which character(s) say(s), "an put your hands on your hips/ an let your backbone slip"?
3. Which character relays the main narrative in Poem Three?
4. What is the race of the characters in For Colored Girls Who Have Considered Suicide When the Rainbow is Enuf?
5. Who is with the main character in Poem Seven as she is relaying what is happening to her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the two songs at the end of Poem One represent?
2. What happens in Poem Twelve? How do the women deal with the situation that arises?
3. What happened to the main character's "stuff" in Poem Seventeen?
4. What did Beau do after Crystal got a court order? What does Beau do on his last attempt to win Crystal back?
5. Based on the information in Poem One, what is the play about?
6. How does the playwright bring universality to the script in Poem One?
7. Describe the language and imagery in Poem Thirteen.
8. What does dance represent at the beginning of Sequence Four? What does dance represent at the end of Sequence Four?
9. What contrasts and juxtapositions are apparent at the beginning of Poem Eleven?
10. What is the theme of Poem Three? How is this a theme of the poem?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does the playwright choose to craft the narrative of the play out of poems instead of conversational text? What are the pros and cons of using this technique? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
The play describes urban African American life. Why do the women in the play not live in the cities, but "outside" of the cities? How does this relate to the theme of freedom? Please use specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
How does the author portray African American culture in the play? What is significant about her portrayal? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 2,051 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)