|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Poem Nine, why was the main character disqualified from a contest that she entered to see which child could read the most books?
(a) Because she was reading adult books.
(b) Because she did not read enough books.
(c) Because she was African American.
(d) Because she did not complete the registration form correctly.
2. What dilemmas does the narrator in Poem Sixteen believe she is caught up in?
(a) The dilemmas of being smart, rich, and black.
(b) The dilemmas of being a single, white woman.
(c) The dilemmas of being emotional, black woman.
(d) The dilemmas of being a woman, alive, and black.
3. What words are the focus in Poem Eighteen?
(a) "I love you."
(b) "I forgive you."
(c) "I miss you."
(d) "I'm sorry."
4. According to the narrator, what happens when Beau learns that the main character is pregnant again in Poem Nineteen?
(a) He celebrates.
(b) He kisses her.
(c) He beats her.
(d) He cries.
5. What does Beau threaten to do if the main character does not marry him in Poem Nineteen?
(a) To throw the children down the steps.
(b) To drop the children out the window.
(c) To kill himself.
(d) To move back in.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the narrator in Poem Fifteen describe the group that she thinks black women should become like?
2. In Poem Fourteen, how does the narrator describe pleasuring herself through thought?
3. What is the narrator referring to when she references her "stuff"?
4. Who does the narrator in Poem Fifteen suggest that black women should act like?
5. What is the name of Beau's daughter in Poem Nineteen?
This section contains 289 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)