|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Poem Nine, why was the main character disqualified from a contest that she entered to see which child could read the most books?
(a) Because she was reading adult books.
(b) Because she did not read enough books.
(c) Because she was African American.
(d) Because she did not complete the registration form correctly.
2. What dilemmas does the narrator in Poem Sixteen believe she is caught up in?
(a) The dilemmas of being smart, rich, and black.
(b) The dilemmas of being emotional, black woman.
(c) The dilemmas of being a single, white woman.
(d) The dilemmas of being a woman, alive, and black.
3. What does the main character do to keep her Beau away in Poem Nineteen?
(a) She gets a court order.
(b) She moves.
(c) She changes her phone number.
(d) She steals his car.
4. How are the poems in Sequence Four different from earlier poems in the play?
(a) They give a White woman's perspective on life.
(b) They are longer.
(c) They are shorter.
(d) They use colloquial language.
5. What feels strange to the narrator of Poem Thirteen?
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when the main character arrives to the docks at the end of Poem Nine?
2. Who does the main character in Poem Eighteen speak with in the poem?
3. Which character narrates Poem Seventeen?
4. Who does the narrator in Poem Seventeen say should handle her stuff?
5. How many kids do the main character and Beau have in Poem Nineteen?
This section contains 310 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)