|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What legal document does Mason alter?
2. How did Mason perceive his nephew?
3. Who comes to buy liquor at the still?
4. Where does the Fortune family live?
5. How did Francis come to live with Mason?
Short Essay Questions
1. With whom did Francis live before going to live with Mason?
2. What is the premise of THE VIOLENT BEAR IT AWAY?
3. What is the premise of A VIEW OF THE WOODS?
4. What is the premise of PARKER'S BACK?
5. What irony does Francis discover about Mason's life after Mason's death?
6. Describe Mrs. Turpin's demeanor.
7. What does the schoolteacher consider hopeful after Mason's death?
8. How does Parker meet his wife?
9. What does Francis do in the time shortly after Mason's death?
10. How does Parker's wife react when she hears about his new tattoo and his accident at work?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Prejudice and discrimination against Negroes is a common thread in O'Connor's stories. Cite two examples in this book and explain what you think O'Connor was trying to say in each?
Essay Topic 2
Flannery O'Connor is famous for her use of terrifying or shocking situations for her characters. Select three situations from any of the stories any why they fit into this classification.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two themes about loss in the stories. Then cite an example to support your answer.
This section contains 843 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)