|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Francis tell Mason's nephew that Francis set Mason's body on fire?
2. How did Claud sustain his injury?
3. What does Parker's wife think about his new tattoo?
4. Who is the son in EVERYTHING THAT RISES MUST CONVERGE?
5. Which of the following does NOT describe how Parker feels about his wife in PARKER'S BACK?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mason die and who buries him?
2. How are Julian and his mother at odds over integration?
3. Why is the schoolteacher so committed to saving Francis and what happens to him as a result?
4. What is the premise of A VIEW OF THE WOODS?
5. How does Parker meet his wife?
6. What does Francis do in the time shortly after Mason's death?
7. What are the circumstances in which Julian's mother gets hit?
8. What is the premise of PARKER'S BACK?
9. How does the schoolteacher react to Mason's death?
10. What irony does Francis discover about Mason's life after Mason's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Loneliness seems to take on a personality in many of the stories. Cite at least two examples of loneliness and how the characters manage through their situations.
Essay Topic 2
The frustration of unfulfilled affection touches several characters in the stories. Name at least two characters who experience unfulfilled love and the situations that occur as a result.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses some important instances of flashbacks in the stories. Explain what a flashback is and cite at least two making sure to explain what makes each a flashback.
This section contains 867 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)