|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mason think about himself?
2. How did Francis come to live with Mason?
3. What does Francis discover on the way to dig Mason's grave?
4. Who is the son in EVERYTHING THAT RISES MUST CONVERGE?
5. What does Parker feel he cannot live up to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the premise of EVERYTHING THAT RISES MUST CONVERGE?
2. What are the circumstances in which Julian's mother gets hit?
3. What is Mason's history of taking children in order to save them?
4. How does Parker meet his wife?
5. How does Mason die and who buries him?
6. Why are Mr. Fortune's grandchildren upset about the land deal with a gas station owner?
7. Why does Francis have such difficulty living with Mason?
8. Why is the schoolteacher so committed to saving Francis and what happens to him as a result?
9. What is the premise of PARKER'S BACK?
10. What does Francis do in the time shortly after Mason's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Select three characters from any of the stories and project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for their lives. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, hobbies, socialization, etc.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Walter Tilman. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point in him life?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses some important instances of flashbacks in the stories. Explain what a flashback is and cite at least two making sure to explain what makes each a flashback.
This section contains 972 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)