|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Haze discover when he returns to his hometown?
2. What is Haze's demeanor when preaching?
3. What is the role of Tom Shiflet in THE LIFE YOU SAVE MAY BE YOUR OWN?
4. What form of transportation is Haze Motes riding at the beginning of WISE BLOOD?
5. Why is Harry sent to the babysitter's?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the irony of the Bible salesman stealing Joy's prosthetic leg?
2. What is odd about Motes' vocation related to his philosophy?
3. Who is Enoch Emory and what is his relationship to Motes?
4. Who are the family members and how does the grandmother try to manage their unruliness on the trip?
5. Describe Tom Shiflet's character in THE LIFE YOU SAVE MAY BE YOUR OWN.
6. Who are the characters in GOOD COUNTRY PEOPLE and which one is the main character?
7. How do the Hopewells treat the Bible salesman?
8. What does Motes learn about Hawks?
9. What is an overriding worry that the grandmother has while on the trip?
10. What is unusual about the church that Motes establishes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Mrs. Lucynell Carter. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her--if anything--at this point in her life?
Essay Topic 2
Describe some of the settings for the stories. What is the overall setting? Be sure to include geography, time period and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did the author choose to use these places in the stories?
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Walter Tilman. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point in him life?
This section contains 894 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)