|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the only room that has a piece of furniture in Haze's homestead?
2. Which of the following is NOT the name of one of the daughters in GOOD COUNTRY PEOPLE?
3. What does Harry put into his pocket at Mrs. Connin's house?
4. What is Ruby's recent medical complaint?
5. With what local venue does Emory become obsessed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Enoch Emory's interest in Motes?
2. What is the role of Mrs. Connin in THE RIVER?
3. What is the premise of A LATE ENCOUNTER WITH THE ENEMY?
4. Describe Tom Shiflet's character in THE LIFE YOU SAVE MAY BE YOUR OWN.
5. Who is Enoch Emory and what is his relationship to Motes?
6. In what way does Motes imitate Hawks?
7. What does Motes do for the first time?
8. Who are the family members and how does the grandmother try to manage their unruliness on the trip?
9. Describe Ruby Hill's outlook on life in A STROKE OF GOOD FORTUNE.
10. What is the house that the grandmother wants her grandchildren to see on the trip?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Select three characters from any of the stories and project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for their lives. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, hobbies, socialization, etc.
Essay Topic 2
Several stories are classic stories of the search for love. What does that classification entail? Cite two stories that fall into this category and note your reasons to support your choices.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two themes about loss in the stories. Then cite an example to support your answer.
This section contains 906 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)