|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What form of transportation is Haze Motes riding at the beginning of WISE BLOOD?
2. Where is Haze going at the opening of Wise Blood?
3. Hazes has a peculiar view on ____________.
4. What happens to Harry at the river?
5. What happens to the family members after the car accident?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Motes discover once he reaches his homestead?
2. Who is the main character in WISE BLOOD and what is he doing as the story begins?
3. What does Motes do for the first time?
4. What is the premise of A GOOD MAN IS HARD TO FIND?
5. How do the Hopewells treat the Bible salesman?
6. In what way does Motes imitate Hawks?
7. Who are the characters in GOOD COUNTRY PEOPLE and which one is the main character?
8. Who are the family members and how does the grandmother try to manage their unruliness on the trip?
9. What are the circumstances that cause the family's car accident?
10. What is the house that the grandmother wants her grandchildren to see on the trip?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of women in the rural South in the mid-twentieth century when the women in the stories are living their lives. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do the have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not have?
Essay Topic 2
Select three characters from any of the stories and project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for their lives. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, hobbies, socialization, etc.
Essay Topic 3
Select three stories from this collection and explain the significance of their titles. What did the author mean by naming the stories like she did? Cite examples to support your answers.
This section contains 855 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)