|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Harry put into his pocket at Mrs. Connin's house?
2. With what local venue does Emory become obsessed?
3. Where does Joy go with the Bible salesman?
4. How was Asa Hawks blinded?
5. What physical characteristics does the young Lucynell have?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is unusual about the church that Motes establishes?
2. What are the circumstances that cause the family's car accident?
3. Who are Asa and Sabbath Hawks and what is their relationship to Motes?
4. What is Enoch Emory's interest in Motes?
5. Who is Enoch Emory and what is his relationship to Motes?
6. What is the house that the grandmother wants her grandchildren to see on the trip?
7. How does the author show that Motes is a conflicted man?
8. What does Motes learn about Hawks?
9. Who is the main character in WISE BLOOD and what is he doing as the story begins?
10. Describe Ruby Hill's outlook on life in A STROKE OF GOOD FORTUNE.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Flannery O'Connor is famous for her use of terrifying or shocking situations for her characters. Select three situations from any of the stories any why they fit into this classification.
Essay Topic 2
Prejudice and discrimination against Negroes is a common thread in O'Connor's stories. Cite two examples in this book and explain what you think O'Connor was trying to say in each?
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Mrs. Lucynell Carter. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her--if anything--at this point in her life?
This section contains 852 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)