|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In The Sound Machine, to whom does Klausner show his inventions?
2. In The Sound Machine, what breaks Klausner's greatest invention?
3. In The Wish, what does the boy pretend is the only safe color on the carpet?
4. In The Soldier, Robert is diagnosed with __________.
5. In Someone Like You, what was the former occupation of the old friends?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the boy pretend to be doing in The Wish?
2. In Skin, what makes Drioli's back so valuable?
3. In Poison, what does Pope tell Timber when he first comes home one night?
4. In Taste, how does Richard Pratt cheat in the bet?
5. What can the sound machine do?
6. In A Piece of Cake, what do crews warn a pilot about, and what is his reaction to these warnings?
7. How does the woman in Only This die?
8. How does Charlie from Death of an Old Man die?
9. In Vengeance is Mine Inc., what did the owners of the business do?
10. In the Soldier, how does Robert try to kill his wife? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was one theme you found throughout a number of these stories, and how was is presented?
Essay Topic 2
Fear is a major motivating factor for a number of characters in these stories. Which characters are most affected by this, and what are some of the different ways this fear is manifested?
Essay Topic 3
Mental illness was a huge theme in many of these stories. What were some prime examples of this, and what messages were being sent in these stories?
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)