|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In The Sound Machine, what breaks Klausner's greatest invention?
2. In Man From the South, the bet is made over __________.
3. In Katina, how old is Katina?
4. In The Soldier, Robert gets disoriented about ___________.
5. In Madame Rosette, how many people work for her?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the Soldier, how does Robert try to kill his wife? Why?
2. What does the boy pretend to be doing in The Wish?
3. What can the sound machine do?
4. In Beware of the Dog, what does the pilot vow to do when he is captured?
5. How does Charlie from Death of an Old Man die?
6. In Poison, what does Pope tell Timber when he first comes home one night?
7. What was so confusing to the people in Yesterday was Beautiful?
8. What is 'jinking' according to the information given in Someone Like You?
9. In Taste, why does Mike Schofield get so mad when he finds out Richard cheated in the bet?
10. What does Mr. Boitbol like to pretend to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who was Robert Sandy, and how did his interactions with the police affect his life? What messages were being sent in these circumstances?
Essay Topic 2
Mental illness was a huge theme in many of these stories. What were some prime examples of this, and what messages were being sent in these stories?
Essay Topic 3
Despair was an emotion that affected a number of the characters in these stories. Which characters were most affected by despair, and how did this change the course of the plots in which they were involved?
This section contains 656 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)