|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Mr. Boitbol's favorite composer?
2. In Madame Rosette, how many people work for her?
3. In They Shall Not Grow Old, whom does Fin see flying a line of planes?
4. In The Sound Machine, to whom does Klausner show his inventions?
5. What would the soldier in Man From the South have won in the bet?
Short Essay Questions
1. In They Shall Not Grow Old, what does Fin see before he dies?
2. What does the pilot in A Piece of Cake realize when he lands after the plane is shot down?
3. Why do the pilots want to punish Madame Rosette?
4. What does Mr. Boitbol like to pretend to do?
5. In Nunc Dimitis, what prank does Lionel pull on Janet?
6. In Taste, why does Mike Schofield get so mad when he finds out Richard cheated in the bet?
7. How does the woman in Only This die?
8. How does Charlie from Death of an Old Man die?
9. In Taste, how does Richard Pratt cheat in the bet?
10. Why does Katina not do what is asked of her by the medics?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are a number of husband and wife relationships written about in these stories. Choose some of these to compare and contrast. How are they different? How are they similar?
Essay Topic 2
Roald Dahl's general tone in these stories was very dark and satirical. How did this tone affect the course of the plots, and what might this indicate about the author?
Essay Topic 3
Death is an integral part of a number of these stories. What are some of the most significant instances of death, and how does it change the course of the plot in those stories?
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)