|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Only This, what is the woman thinking about just before she dies?
2. What is the occupation of the woman Mr. Boitbol invited over to his house?
3. In Nunc Dimitis, what does Lionel leave at a dinner party to humiliate Janet?
4. Who is Mr. Boitbol's favorite composer?
5. In Skin, what is special about Drioli's back?
Short Essay Questions
1. What can the sound machine do?
2. What does Mr. Boitbol like to pretend to do?
3. In Nunc Dimitis, what prank does Lionel pull on Janet?
4. In the Soldier, how does Robert try to kill his wife? Why?
5. What did the woman in Yesterday was Beautiful tell the pilot to do?
6. In They Shall Not Grow Old, what does Fin see before he dies?
7. Why does Katina not do what is asked of her by the medics?
8. In Taste, how does Richard Pratt cheat in the bet?
9. Why do the pilots want to punish Madame Rosette?
10. What is 'jinking' according to the information given in Someone Like You?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Despair was an emotion that affected a number of the characters in these stories. Which characters were most affected by despair, and how did this change the course of the plots in which they were involved?
Essay Topic 2
How did religion filter into some of these stories, and what did it symbolize in these different appearances?
Essay Topic 3
Roald Dahl's general tone in these stories was very dark and satirical. How did this tone affect the course of the plots, and what might this indicate about the author?
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)