|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Big Mama when she dies?
2. How many houses are in the village in "The Handsomest Drowned Man"?
3. What is Rebecca's servant's name?
4. In "The Handsomest Drowned Man in the World," what is the drowned man's weight compared to?
5. What is in Mina's wooden trunk?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize Damaso's experience in the pool hall as described in the beginning of "There Are No Thieves in This Town."
2. Describe José Montiel's family situation.
3. Explain how the grandmother of "The Incredible and Sad Tale of Innocent Eréndira and Her Heartless Grandmother" dies.
4. Summarize Big Mama's last words.
5. Explain how the narrator of "Blacamán the Good, Vendor of Miracles" discovers he can perform miracles.
6. How did the villagers think of José Montiel, and why?
7. Describe the drowned man in "The Handsomest Drowned Man in the World."
8. Why is the senator thinking about death in "Death Constant Beyond Love"?
9. How do the women believe Esteban's compatriots must have felt about him?
10. What does Damaso plan to do with the stolen goods, and what becomes of his plans?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the importance of the theme of the death of a family member as it occurs in "The Other Side of Death" and "Dialogue with the Mirror."
Essay Topic 2
Describe the three sleepwalkers as a character and as a narrative device, explaining how their perspective on the events of the story shapes the reader's perception.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the importance of the title for understanding García Márquez's work, mentioning at least two stories.
This section contains 839 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)