|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of flower does the protagonist of "The Third Resignation" smell as he is contemplating his decay?
2. In "The Other Side of Death," whom does the protagonist sense in the room?
3. What noise is in the protagonist's room in "The Other Side of Death"?
4. How old is the girl in "Tuesday Siesta"?
5. Where does Eva imagine herself to be after she leaves her body?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the "boy" in "Eva."
2. Why does the boy not want to lead the blind men in "Night"?
3. Summarize what happens while the woman is talking to the priest in "Tuesday Siesta."
4. How do the sleepwalkers try to calm the woman?
5. Explain the doctor's diagnosis and treatment for the protagonist of "The Third Resignation."
6. How does the protagonist notice he is "really" dying? Explain.
7. Describe the woman's appearance when she came to the narrator's house in "Someone."
8. Describe the events leading to Nabo's death in "Nabo: The Black Man who Made the Angels Wait."
9. Summarize the relationship between the two characters in "Eyes of a Blue Dog."
10. What smell is present in "The Other Side of Death," and why is it significant?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the importance of the theme of the death of a family member as it occurs in "The Other Side of Death" and "Dialogue with the Mirror."
Essay Topic 2
Compare the magic realism found in "Death Constant Beyond Love" to that found in other stories.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the changing setting in "Eva Is Inside Her Cat" and how it affects the reader's understanding of the story's events.
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)