|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What nationality is Eva's friend?
2. In "Night," what did the woman say caused the man's blindness?
3. Who comes to Aurelio Escovar's office for dental work?
4. What had previously deterred Eva's appetite for oranges?
5. What thing did the woman in "Bitterness" see inside the mirror?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Eva want an orange, and how does she decide to get it?
2. Describe the woman's appearance when she came to the narrator's house in "Someone."
3. Why does the boy not want to lead the blind men in "Night"?
4. Describe the noise the protagonist of "The Third Resignation" hears.
5. Explain Eva's relationship to her beauty in "Eva Is Inside Her Cat."
6. Describe the protagonist's dream in "The Other Side of Death."
7. Describe the "boy" in "Eva."
8. Why does the woman in "The Woman who Came at Six O'Clock" so emphasize the time?
9. Describe the villagers' initial reaction to the rain in "Monologue of Isabel."
10. What smell is present in "The Other Side of Death," and why is it significant?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explicate the role of honor and shame in "Tuesday Siesta."
Essay Topic 2
Compare the magic realism found in "Death Constant Beyond Love" to that found in other stories.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the plot twist in "There Are No Thieves in This Town" and how it affects the reader's experience of the story.
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)