|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes the spinster to go back inside when she tries to watch the fight?
2. Who does Hannah's father seek revenge on?
3. What day is it when the woman goes to church in "Between the Porch and the Altar"?
4. How many maids die in "A Mountain Day"?
5. Who took Daisy and her sister in when their parents died?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the government play a role in "A Summer Day"?
2. What is the community reaction to Emily getting the evangelists kicked out of town, and why?
3. How does the title, "A Summer Day", correspond to the story of Jim Littlefield?
4. What is the gift that Arthur sends to his grandmother? How does it affect her?
5. Why is the cemetery the best place for Emily to read?
6. How are Daisy and her sister able to find humor in unpleasantness?
7. What are the spinster's final feelings about the "I love someone" written on the sidewalk?
8. What does the woman on her way to church want to pray for?
9. What expectations did Emma have about intellectuals and how did this change?
10. Explain how the title, "Between the Porch and the Altar", relates to the plot of the story.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Jean Stafford use nationality as a border?
Essay Topic 2
How does Stafford use names to embody the character's mannerisms, emotional state, or actions?
Essay Topic 3
What is true happiness and contentment for some of the characters in Stafford's stories?
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)