|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Cora majoring in?
2. What is the name of Angelica's husband?
3. Who does Hannah's father seek revenge on?
4. Who takes Hannah to get her hair cut?
5. At the beginning of "Between the Porch ad the Altar" where is the woman going?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the title, "A Summer Day", correspond to the story of Jim Littlefield?
2. Explain how the title, "Between the Porch and the Altar", relates to the plot of the story.
3. How does the title of the story, "The Liberation", tie in with Polly's story?
4. Why does Judy think that her happiest day was the day in the mountains?
5. How does Judy realize her love for Rod, her fiance?
6. What are the effects of Beatrice's childhood on her adulthood?
7. What does the woman on her way to church want to pray for?
8. How is Hannah used as a tool between her parents?
9. How is anonymity a theme in "The Philosophy Lesson"?
10. How does the government play a role in "A Summer Day"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A common theme in Stafford's stories is that nothing is constant. Love, illness, and emotions waver. How is this true in 3 of Stafford's stories?
Essay Topic 2
Why did Stafford choose to write many stories surrounding the town of Adams, Colorado?
Essay Topic 3
How is conforming to meet society's standards a theme throughout the stories in this book?
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)