|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Polly's last name?
2. What is the family's last name in "A Mountain Day"?
3. Who has Emma been outcast by?
4. What part of Angelica's body ages first?
5. Who teases Hannah for her hair cut?
Short Essay Questions
1. What emotions do Daisy and her sister feel at the zoo?
2. Compare Emily to Lottie.
3. What lesson does Emily learn from Lottie?
4. How does the title, "A Summer Day", correspond to the story of Jim Littlefield?
5. What is the community reaction to Emily getting the evangelists kicked out of town, and why?
6. What does the woman on her way to church want to pray for?
7. How does the government play a role in "A Summer Day"?
8. What are the effects of Beatrice's childhood on her adulthood?
9. What causes Beatrice to go deaf?
10. What do Polly's actions after she learns that her fiance has died represent?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A common theme in Stafford's stories is that nothing is constant. Love, illness, and emotions waver. How is this true in 3 of Stafford's stories?
Essay Topic 2
What is true happiness and contentment for some of the characters in Stafford's stories?
Essay Topic 3
Do any of the characters in the short stories recognize their own weaknesses? Why or why not?
This section contains 617 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)