|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who tells Polly that her fiance is dead?
(a) Her mother.
(b) Her sister.
(c) Her aunt.
(d) His brother.
2. What does Emily get caught doing?
(a) Skipping curfew.
(c) Hiding from her parents.
(d) Running away.
3. What is the name of Beatrice's first husband?
4. What is Emily trying to do in her story?
(a) Take photographs.
5. What is Mrs. Ramsey's reputation in the community she lives in?
(a) She is pure of heart.
(b) She is a bad influence on the children.
(c) She is wild for an older woman.
(d) She hates animals.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lottie take from Emily's house?
2. How old is Jim when he gets on a train?
3. What day is it when the woman goes to church in "Between the Porch and the Altar"?
4. What is the name of Polly's fiance?
5. Who does Polly live with?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the community reaction to Emily getting the evangelists kicked out of town, and why?
2. How does the title of the story, "The Liberation", tie in with Polly's story?
3. How does Ella show that she loves her horse?
4. How is anonymity a theme in "The Philosophy Lesson"?
5. What lesson does Emily learn from Lottie?
6. How does the government play a role in "A Summer Day"?
7. Is the abuse against Hannah indirect or direct? How?
8. What does Ella fear and how does she show it?
9. Explain how the title, "Between the Porch and the Altar", relates to the plot of the story.
10. Why is the cemetery the best place for Emily to read?
This section contains 646 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)