Part 1, Chapter 1
• Maggie is invited to a party in Europe when she's on vacation, where she feels uncomfortable because everybody is speaking French.
• Maggie finds out that she feels uncomfortable as a result of a joke that Tippy, the host, is playing on her.
• Maggie goes out with a group of Americans, with whom she feels more comfortable.
Part 1, Chapter 2
• Abby is a widow in self-exile in Belgium.
• Abby likes Hugh, a man who is estranged from his wife.
• Abby is afraid of her family's pity.
• Hugh is addicted to gambling and introduces Abby to roulette.
• When Abby feels melancholy after her last round of roulette, she understands his addiction more.
Part 1, Chapter 3
• Sue and Ramona meet for coffee, where it becomes apparent they don't necessary like each other but feel comfortable with one another.
• Ramona asks Sue to visit her family and her home, and also to...
This section contains 1,885 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)