|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. "Bold Horatius" is about ____________.
2. Who wins the fight in "Antaeus: A Fragment?"
3. Where is someone sleeping in "The Kind Ghosts?"
4. What time of day does "From My Diary, July 1914" end?
5. What is set on a track in "This is the Track?"
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the purpose of "Winter Song?"
2. Why doesn't the speaker grow old in "To the Bitter Sweet-heart: a Dream?" What does this imply?
3. What did Owen's first gas attack lead him to realize about war?
4. Why is Heracles unable to defeat Antaeus in "Antaeus: A Fragment?"
5. Why would Owen rather be remembered as a soldier than a poet in "To My Friend: (With an Identity Disk)?"
6. What does "The Roads Also" reveal about the effects of war?
7. What is the tone of "The End" and "The Unreturning?" How do you know?
8. What early poem of Owen's does Blunden admire most? What was the poem's inspiration?
9. Into what two phases does Blunden divide Owen's life as a poet? What do these titles mean?
10. Why will the soldiers never be as happy as they were as children in "Happiness?"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of the weather in Owen's poetry.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the psychological toll war took on soldiers, using at least one poem to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Explain how Owen's faith, beginning with his position as an assistant to a vicar. How and why does his faith change throughout his life?
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)