|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color are the woman's eyes in "The Imbecile?"
2. Where does the speaker kiss the sleeping woman in "The Sleeping Beauty?"
3. Who is sleeping in "The Kind Ghosts?"
4. Who wrote the first appendix in Collected Poems?
5. What is the mood of the people walking down the street in "Six o'clock in Princes Street?"
Short Essay Questions
1. Into what two phases does Blunden divide Owen's life as a poet? What do these titles mean?
2. Why is Heracles unable to defeat Antaeus in "Antaeus: A Fragment?"
3. What does the woman represent in "The Kind Ghosts?" Why is she sleeping?
4. What is the tone of "The End" and "The Unreturning?" How do you know?
5. What literary reference does Owen make in "Hospital Barge at Cerisy?" What does this reveal about the hospital barge?
6. What does the speaker compare people to in "O World of many Worlds?" What does he compare himself to?
7. Who might the man be that the speaker is going to meet in "The Promisers?" What does it mean that the speaker never meets him?
8. What is personification? How does Owen use it in "Cramped in that Funnelled Hole?"
9. What early poem of Owen's does Blunden admire most? What was the poem's inspiration?
10. What is the contrast in "Six o' clock in Princes Street?"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does escapism play in Owen's poetry? Use at least one example of an escapist poem from Owen's work to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Who is Edmund Blunden? What role did he play in Owen's literary career?
Essay Topic 3
Explain how Owen's faith, beginning with his position as an assistant to a vicar. How and why does his faith change throughout his life?
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)