|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What should the singer use to sing in the evening in "Song of Songs?"
2. Until when does the speaker of "The Promisers" search for the person he will meet?
3. What poem does Blunden most admire of Owen's early works?
4. What does "I saw his Round Mouth's Crimson" describe?
5. What aspect of youth is appreciated in "Sonnet: To a Child?"
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Owen's first gas attack lead him to realize about war?
2. How are "To Eros" and "My Shy Hand" different from the other poems in the section?
3. What literary reference does Owen make in "Hospital Barge at Cerisy?" What does this reveal about the hospital barge?
4. What is the contrast in "Six o' clock in Princes Street?"
5. What is the tone of "The End" and "The Unreturning?" How do you know?
6. Why would Owen rather be remembered as a soldier than a poet in "To My Friend: (With an Identity Disk)?"
7. What are the four gems in "Spells and Incantation?" What does each represent?
8. What does the speaker compare people to in "O World of many Worlds?" What does he compare himself to?
9. Who might the man be that the speaker is going to meet in "The Promisers?" What does it mean that the speaker never meets him?
10. Into what two phases does Blunden divide Owen's life as a poet? What do these titles mean?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the overall tone of Owen's poems about war? How do you know? Include a definition of tone in your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the psychological toll war took on soldiers, using at least one poem to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role of the weather in Owen's poetry.
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)