|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the people kiss in "Maundy Thursday?"
2. Whom does the speaker want to stay with in "My Shy Hand?"
3. When were the soldiers happy, according to "Happiness?"
4. Who was Owen's primary literary inspiration?
5. What should the singer use to sing in the morning in "Song of Songs?"
Short Essay Questions
1. What is personification? How does Owen use it in "Cramped in that Funnelled Hole?"
2. What are the four gems in "Spells and Incantation?" What does each represent?
3. What is the hole cut in Europe? Why is it called "the Path of Glory?"
4. What literary reference does Owen make in "Hospital Barge at Cerisy?" What does this reveal about the hospital barge?
5. What is the contrast in "Six o' clock in Princes Street?"
6. What is the purpose of "On My Songs?"
7. According to the first appendix in Collected Poems, why were many of Owen's poems destroyed?
8. What is the tone of "The End" and "The Unreturning?" How do you know?
9. Why is Heracles unable to defeat Antaeus in "Antaeus: A Fragment?"
10. What is the purpose of "Winter Song?"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define sonnet. What are the characteristics of a sonnet? Give at least one example of a sonnet from Owen's poetry.
Essay Topic 2
Define perspective, and explain its importance in Owen's poetry.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role of the weather in Owen's poetry.
This section contains 621 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)