|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Owen study while he was working as an assistant?
2. What does the speaker of "The Show" see slinking into ditches?
3. What does the speaker hold up to the sentry in "The Sentry?"
4. What piece of artillery does the speaker marvel at in "Sonnet?"
5. Which of the following did Owen's parents NOT expose him to?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Owen feel about World War I?
2. What does the soldier's wish to be put to bed symbolize in "Disabled?"
3. What is the connection between soldiers and the earth in "A Terre?"
4. What is the tone of "Exposure?" How do you know?
5. Why does the soldier's letter to his wife in "The Letter" not tell the actual conditions of war?
6. What do you think is the message of "Spring Offensive?"
7. What does Lewis say about Owen prior to World War I in the Introduction of Collected Poems?
8. What does "Le Christianisme" imply about the role of religion in war?
9. What does Lewis say about poets who came from World War I as compared to World War II?
10. Why do soldiers laugh at death in "The Next War?" What does this reveal about war?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain how Owen's opinion of World War I influenced his poetry.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the philosophy of "returning to the earth" discussed in Owen's poetry.
Essay Topic 3
Explain how Owen's childhood shaped his adulthood.
This section contains 620 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)