|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What two items does a soldier come to appreciate in "Arms and the Boy?"
2. In "Greater Love," which is the greater love?
3. How many soldiers die in "Dulce Et Decorum Est?"
4. Who or what laughs at the soldiers in "The Last Laugh?"
5. What signal do the soldiers in "Spring Offensive" receive that the battle is starting?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the connection between soldiers and the earth in "A Terre?"
2. How did Owen feel about World War I?
3. What does the speaker see on the battlefield in "The Show?" What do they represent?
4. Why does the soldier's letter to his wife in "The Letter" not tell the actual conditions of war?
5. Compare and contrast "Conscious" and "The Sentry."
6. What does Lewis say about Owen prior to World War I in the Introduction of Collected Poems?
7. What are the five possible outcomes in battle, according to "The Chances?"
8. What does "Le Christianisme" imply about the role of religion in war?
9. What does Lewis say about poets who came from World War I as compared to World War II?
10. What does the speaker of "Smile, Smile, Smile" think of the press? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role did love play in Owen's life and poetry?
Essay Topic 2
Explain how Wilfred Owen's experience as a soldier in World War I affected his poetry.
Essay Topic 3
What is the overall tone of Owen's poems about war? How do you know? Include a definition of tone in your answer.
This section contains 644 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)