|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the young man in "The Parable of the Old Man and the Young?"
2. Who wrote the introduction in Collected Poems?
3. How long after Owen's death did World War I end?
4. What does the speaker of "Disabled" want someone to do for him?
5. What did Owen study while he was working as an assistant?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain Owen's childhood.
2. What is the tone of "Exposure?" How do you know?
3. Describe Owen's experience as a vicar's assistant.
4. Why does the soldier's letter to his wife in "The Letter" not tell the actual conditions of war?
5. What kind of poet does Lewis think Owen would have been, had he survived the war?
6. What does "Dulce Et Decorum Est" say about war and death?
7. What contradiction is found in "Sonnet?"
8. What does the speaker of "Smile, Smile, Smile" think of the press? Why?
9. What does Lewis say about poets who came from World War I as compared to World War II?
10. What does "S.I.W." stand for? How does this contribute to the soldier dying with a smile?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the overall tone of Owen's poems about war? How do you know? Include a definition of tone in your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Explain Blunden's speculations about Owen's life and career if he had survived World War I. Do you agree with his assessment? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the philosophy of "returning to the earth" discussed in Owen's poetry.
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)