|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the speaker in "The Calls" use sounds to mark?
2. According to "Apologia Pro Poemate Meo," what does life become in war?
3. How many soldiers are killed in "The Last Laugh?"
4. What happened to the weapons when the soldier woke up in "Soldier's Dream?"
5. How do soldiers feel about Death in "The Next War?"
Short Essay Questions
1. What do you think is the message of "Spring Offensive?"
2. What contradiction is found in "Sonnet?"
3. What are the sounds the speaker of "The Calls" hears that mark the passing of the day?
4. Who "smote" the soldiers suffering from psychological trauma in "Mental Cases?"
5. Describe Owen's experience as a vicar's assistant.
6. What are the five possible outcomes in battle, according to "The Chances?"
7. Why do soldiers laugh at death in "The Next War?" What does this reveal about war?
8. Explain Owen's childhood.
9. What does "S.I.W." stand for? How does this contribute to the soldier dying with a smile?
10. What is the connection between soldiers and the earth in "A Terre?"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of the weather in Owen's poetry.
Essay Topic 2
Define perspective, and explain its importance in Owen's poetry.
Essay Topic 3
Define metaphor. Explain how Owen's poems use metaphor to discuss death. Use at least one poetic example from Owen's work to support your answer.
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)