|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. "O World of many Worlds" uses several stanzas from what other poem in Collected Poems?
(a) "Dulce Et Decorum Est."
(b) "This is the Track."
(c) "Song of Songs."
(d) "Wild With All Regrets."
2. Whom does the speaker want to stay with in "My Shy Hand?"
(a) His mother.
(b) His comrades.
(c) His dog.
(d) His lover.
3. What will make men better, according to "As Bronze may be much Beautiful?"
4. What was Owen's biggest complaint on the front lines of the war?
(a) The food.
(b) The crowds.
(c) The mud.
(d) The cold.
5. What poem does Blunden most admire of Owen's early works?
(a) "The Send-Off."
(c) "The Promisers."
(d) "Dulce Et Decorum Est."
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Owen's primary literary inspiration?
2. Which of the following is NOT used in "Spells and Incantation?"
3. What does the speaker sacrifice in "To Eros?"
4. What does one person see news of in the newspaper in "Six o'clock in Princes Street?"
5. When was the first appendix written?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why will the soldiers never be as happy as they were as children in "Happiness?"
2. What literary reference does Owen make in "Hospital Barge at Cerisy?" What does this reveal about the hospital barge?
3. According to the first appendix in Collected Poems, why were many of Owen's poems destroyed?
4. What is controversial about "Song of Songs?"
5. Why doesn't the speaker grow old in "To the Bitter Sweet-heart: a Dream?" What does this imply?
6. What did Owen's first gas attack lead him to realize about war?
7. Why is Heracles unable to defeat Antaeus in "Antaeus: A Fragment?"
8. Why would Owen rather be remembered as a soldier than a poet in "To My Friend: (With an Identity Disk)?"
9. Who might the man be that the speaker is going to meet in "The Promisers?" What does it mean that the speaker never meets him?
10. What does "The Roads Also" reveal about the effects of war?
This section contains 688 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)