|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the people kiss in "Maundy Thursday?"
(a) The priest's ring.
(b) Each other.
(c) The air.
(d) A silver cross.
2. Who wins the fight in "Antaeus: A Fragment?"
(a) This is not known.
(c) Antaeus's enemy.
(d) There is no winner; they both give up.
3. What time of day does "From My Diary, July 1914" begin?
(b) Early morning.
(d) One in the afternoon.
4. When were the soldiers happy, according to "Happiness?"
(a) In the moments before battle.
(b) In the moments after battle.
(c) When they were children.
(d) When they were in love.
5. The speaker wants ______________ to honor him in "To My Friend: (With an Identity Disk)."
(b) His fellow soldiers.
(c) His enemies.
(d) His family.
Short Answer Questions
1. What emotion is associated with purple in the poem "Purple?"
2. What poem does Blunden most admire of Owen's early works?
3. What does the speaker of "Cramped in that Funnelled Hole" call the hole?
4. What was Owen's biggest complaint on the front lines of the war?
5. "Winter Song" describes what kind of transition?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to the first appendix in Collected Poems, why were many of Owen's poems destroyed?
2. What did Owen's first gas attack lead him to realize about war?
3. What literary reference does Owen make in "Hospital Barge at Cerisy?" What does this reveal about the hospital barge?
4. Who might the man be that the speaker is going to meet in "The Promisers?" What does it mean that the speaker never meets him?
5. Why is Heracles unable to defeat Antaeus in "Antaeus: A Fragment?"
6. What is personification? How does Owen use it in "Cramped in that Funnelled Hole?"
7. What are the four gems in "Spells and Incantation?" What does each represent?
8. How are "To Eros" and "My Shy Hand" different from the other poems in the section?
9. Why doesn't the speaker grow old in "To the Bitter Sweet-heart: a Dream?" What does this imply?
10. Why would Owen rather be remembered as a soldier than a poet in "To My Friend: (With an Identity Disk)?"
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)