|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When is news of the soldier delivered in "The Dead-Beat?"
(a) A week later.
(b) The next day.
(c) News is never delivered.
(d) Hours later.
2. What kind of trauma from war do the soldiers suffer in "Mental Cases?"
3. In what season does "Exposure" take place?
4. What does the speaker want to happen to the piece of artillery after the war, according to "Sonnet?"
(a) He wants the technology to be shared with others.
(b) He wants it to go into a museum.
(c) He wants it to be destroyed.
(d) He wants to study it.
5. What attacks the soldiers in "Dulce Et Decorum Est" as they return to the trench?
(a) An enemy squadron.
(c) A pack of wild dogs.
(d) They attack each other.
Short Answer Questions
1. What caused Owen to mature as a poet, according to the author of the Introduction?
2. How do soldiers feel about Death in "The Next War?"
3. In what nation was Owen born?
4. Where is the soldier in "Inspection?"
5. Where is the squad going when one soldier falls to the ground in "The Dead-Beat?"
Short Essay Questions
1. Compare and contrast "Conscious" and "The Sentry."
2. What are the sounds the speaker of "The Calls" hears that mark the passing of the day?
3. Explain Owen's childhood.
4. Why do soldiers laugh at death in "The Next War?" What does this reveal about war?
5. What does Lewis say about poets who came from World War I as compared to World War II?
6. What is the connection between soldiers and the earth in "A Terre?"
7. What contradiction is found in "Sonnet?"
8. Who "smote" the soldiers suffering from psychological trauma in "Mental Cases?"
9. What does the speaker of "Smile, Smile, Smile" think of the press? Why?
10. What does the soldier's wish to be put to bed symbolize in "Disabled?"
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)