|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the speaker in "Shadwell Stair?"
(a) A reporter.
(b) A ghost.
(c) A politician.
(d) An anti-war protestor.
2. Why are soldiers crouched in a trench in "Cramped in that Funnelled Hole?"
(a) To keep the sun out of their eyes.
(b) To sleep.
(c) For protection.
(d) To ambush an enemy.
3. What is the hole called, according to "Not one Corner...?"
(a) The Verdict.
(d) The Path of Glory.
4. "Sonnet Autumnal" uses the end of summer as an analogy for the end of ___________.
(b) A love.
(c) A dream.
5. What does the speaker wonder about the dead after the war in "The End?"
(a) If they feel they died in vain.
(b) If they will be remembered.
(c) If they will live again.
(d) If they will be honored.
6. Who wins the fight in "Antaeus: A Fragment?"
(a) Antaeus's enemy.
(b) There is no winner; they both give up.
(d) This is not known.
7. What does the speaker compare people to in "O World of many Worlds?"
8. What is whispering to the speaker in "Miners?"
(a) The wind.
(b) The fire.
(c) The rain.
(d) The artillery.
9. What does the speaker of "Cramped in that Funnelled Hole" call the hole?
(a) A port in the storm.
(b) The mouth of hell.
(c) A pit.
10. _____________dream of time before the war in "The Roads Also."
11. How many days was Owen unable to bathe, take off his shoes, or sleep properly due to an offensive?
(a) Ten days.
(b) One week.
(c) Twenty-one days.
(d) Twelve days.
12. What is sacrificed to the idol in "Long Ages Past?"
(c) An animal.
13. What aspect of youth is appreciated in "Sonnet: To a Child?"
14. What does one person see news of in the newspaper in "Six o'clock in Princes Street?"
(a) An upcoming festival.
(b) His brother's death.
(c) The war.
(d) A cease fire.
15. What fairy tale is a reworking of Blunden's favorite of Owen's early works?
(a) "Beauty and the Beast."
(b) "Snow White and the Seven Dwarves."
(d) "The Little Mermaid."
Short Answer Questions
1. Where may soldiers never reach in "To a Comrade in Flanders?"
2. Where is someone sleeping in "The Kind Ghosts?"
3. The speaker wants ______________ to honor him in "To My Friend: (With an Identity Disk)."
4. What is being described in "Has Your Soul Sipped?"
5. Where does the speaker kiss the sleeping woman in "The Sleeping Beauty?"
This section contains 443 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)