|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is the soldier in "Inspection?"
(a) A parade.
(b) A front line trench.
(c) A hospital ward.
(d) At home.
2. What fate does Jim receive in "The Chances?"
3. What marks the passing of the soldiers in "Anthem for Doomed Youth?"
4. In what year was Owen born?
(a) The exact year is not known.
5. What happens to the soldier who falls asleep in "Asleep?"
(a) He freezes to death.
(b) He is shot and killed.
(c) He is captured by the enemy.
(d) His shoes are stolen.
6. In "Greater Love," which is the lesser love?
(a) Romantic love for a woman.
(b) Love of country.
(c) Love for fallen comrades.
(d) Love of freedom.
7. What does the sentry say about himself in "The Sentry?"
(a) He knows how to help them escape.
(b) He plans to kill them if they fall asleep.
(c) He is blind.
(d) He is a friend.
8. Who is the young man in "The Parable of the Old Man and the Young?"
(c) An unnamed soldier.
9. Whose love is dying, according to "Exposure?"
(b) Each other's.
(c) The public's.
(d) The government's.
10. How many outcomes are there in battle, according to "The Chances?"
(d) An infinite number.
11. What happened to the soldier in "The Dead-Beat?"
(a) He was court martialed.
(b) He died.
(c) He was sent home.
(d) He was sent back to the front.
12. What poet helped Owen with his literary ambitions?
(a) Laurent Tailhade.
(b) T. S. Eliot.
(c) William Carlos Williams.
(d) John Keats.
13. In what nation was Owen born?
(a) The United States of America.
14. Where did Owen go after leaving his position as an assistant?
15. According to "Apologia Pro Poemate Meo," what does life become in war?
Short Answer Questions
1. Owen wonders if _________ will greet the soldiers in "The Send-Off."
2. What are men reading in "Smile, Smile, Smile?"
3. What did Owen study while he was working as an assistant?
4. Who wishes they could go to war in "S.I.W.?"
5. Where does the speaker believe he is in "Mental Cases?"
This section contains 374 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)