|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where are the soldiers walking in "At a Cavalry near the Ancre?"
(a) This is not known.
(b) Through a trench.
(c) Down a road.
(d) In a field.
2. What does the speaker hear at dawn in "The Calls?"
(b) Church bells.
(c) A fog-horn.
3. In what nation was Owen born?
(b) The United States of America.
4. What does the sentry say he sees later in "The Sentry?"
(a) A light.
(c) The speaker.
(d) The sun.
5. Where does the soldier wake up in "Conscious?"
(a) In a trench.
(b) Behind enemy lines.
(c) In a hospital.
(d) In a prison.
6. What job did Owen take after his position as an assistant?
(b) University professor.
(c) Grammar school teacher.
7. In what season does "Exposure" take place?
8. What is the first poem in Collected Poems?
(a) "Strange Meeting."
(b) "Greater Love."
(d) "Dulce Et Decorum Est."
9. What attacks the soldiers in "Dulce Et Decorum Est" as they return to the trench?
(a) An enemy squadron.
(b) A pack of wild dogs.
(c) They attack each other.
10. What happens to the soldier who falls asleep in "Asleep?"
(a) His shoes are stolen.
(b) He freezes to death.
(c) He is shot and killed.
(d) He is captured by the enemy.
11. "Apologia Pro Poemate Meo" discusses the occasional ______ of war.
12. Where are soldiers massing in "Spring Offensive?"
(a) A meadow.
(b) A trench.
(c) A hill.
(d) Between two buildings.
13. Where did Owen go after leaving his position as an assistant?
14. Why can't the soldier forget in "Mental Cases?"
(a) They face it every day.
(b) Their fellow soldiers won't let them.
(c) They won't let themselves forget.
(d) Everything reminds them of it.
15. What will the soldier not do, according to "Arms and the Boy?"
(a) Come home from the war.
(b) Be remembered after he falls.
(c) Find peace on the front lines.
(d) Grow weapons on his body.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of trauma from war do the soldiers suffer in "Mental Cases?"
2. Owen wonders if _________ will greet the soldiers in "The Send-Off."
3. How many soldiers are killed in "The Last Laugh?"
4. What does the speaker of "Disabled" want someone to do for him?
5. How do soldiers feel about Death in "The Next War?"
This section contains 400 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)