|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Finish this line from "The Building": "Though crowds each evening try with wasteful, weak, propitiatory _________."
2. In the poem "Livings," how many days does the narrator spend in the hotel?
3. In "The Building," what kind of building is the poem about?
4. In the poem "MCMXIV," what line is repeated?
5. In the poem "Broadcast," what popular figure is on television?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the collection "The North Ship," winter and snow are common elements. Using at least three poems, write an essay detailing Larkin's use of these elements in the collection.
Essay Topic 2
Using the poems "Kick Up the Fire" and "If Grief Could Burn," write a compare/contrast essay on the nature of fire and grief in the collection "The North Ship."
Essay Topic 3
A common topic in Larkin's collection "The Whitsun Weddings" is heartbreak. Write an essay on the theme of heartbreak in this collection, using at least two examples in your argument.
This section contains 195 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)