|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the poem "For Sidney Bechet," the narrator says a note is reflected like which city on the water?
2. Finish this line from the poem "Going, Going": "Excuses that make them all ______."
3. What does the poet describe in the poem "Essential Beauty"?
4. In the poem "Afternoons," what season is approaching?
5. In the poem "The Trees," what word is repeated three times?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A common topic in Larkin's collection "The Whitsun Weddings" is heartbreak. Write an essay on the theme of heartbreak in this collection, using at least two examples in your argument.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout his collected poems, Larkin calls upon the theme of youth to illustrate age and longing. Write an essay about the topic of youth in the collection "The Less Deceived," using at least three examples.
Essay Topic 3
Memories play an important role in Larkin's poetry. Write an essay on the theme of memories in the collection "The Less Deceived." Make sure you use at least two poems in your argument.
This section contains 191 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)