|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many ships does the narrator see in "The North Ship"?
2. In the poem "To Write One Song," where does the narrator go so that he can write a sad song?
(a) The cemetery.
(b) The train station.
(c) His house.
(d) The forest.
3. How many parts compose "The North Ship"?
4. In the poem "Morning Has Spread Again," how many times has the narrator and his subject met?
(a) Fewer than six times.
(b) He has known her his whole life.
(c) More than five times.
(d) Every day.
5. What is the subject of the poem "Going"?
(d) Grey skies/cloudy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What animal is mentioned in the poem "Wires"?
2. What is the subject of the poem "Places, Loved Ones"?
3. In "The Horns of the Morning," what does the poet say the mornings are bright with?
4. What phrase is italicized in the poem "Next, Please"?
5. What does the narrator address in the poem "If I Could Free You"?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "Breadfruit," what do the boys dream of? Where do these visions end?
2. To whom is the poem "Conscript" dedicated? What does the subject of the poem have to defend?
3. In "Femmes Damnes," what is the photograph of? What is the only sound heard?
4. In the poem "A Study of Reading Habits," what does the narrator say reading helped him do? How does the poem end?
5. Where is the narrator in the poem "Night Music"? What does the poem celebrate?
6. In "A Writer," what gift did the writer possess? How was the narrator different from other people then?
7. In "This Be the Verse," what does the narrator say "man hands on to man"? What does the narrator say in the last line?
8. In the poem "Toads," what does the toad represent? What does the narrator say about himself in regards to this subject?
9. In "Homage to a Government," why are the soldiers coming home? What does the narrator say they can hope to leave them?
10. In the poem "Broadcast," what popular figure is on television? What does the narrator notice was dropped?
This section contains 637 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)