|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the poem "Ambulances," what phrase is italicized?
(a) Poor boy.
(b) Poor soul.
(c) Poor puppy.
(d) Poor lamb.
2. What is the name of the cafe in "Going, Going"?
3. In the poem "The Importance of Elsewhere," where is the poet?
4. In "Friday Night at the Royal Station Hotel," where have the salesmen gone?
(a) Home for the night.
(b) Back to Leeds.
(c) Back to London.
(d) To catch the train.
5. In the poem "The Whitsun Weddings," what time of the afternoon is the poem set?
6. In what year was the collection "The Whitsun Weddings" published?
7. In "Friday Night at the Royal Station Hotel," what is the porter doing?
(a) Sweeping the floor.
(b) Carrying bags.
(c) Watching T.V.
(d) Reading the paper.
8. In the poem "Afternoons," what season is approaching?
9. In the poem "The Old Fools," what question is asked at the end of the first stanza?
(a) Why aren't they screaming?
(b) How are they so old?
(c) How can they ignore it?
(d) How can they implore it?
10. In the poem "High Windows," what does the narrator say about the sky?
(a) It is overwhelming.
(b) It is overcast.
(c) It is endless.
(d) It is terrific.
11. What is the subject of the poem "Water"?
(a) Drinking water.
12. In "This Be the Verse," who are the subjects of the poem?
(b) Aunts and uncles.
13. What is the subject of the poem "Solar"?
(a) The sun.
14. In the poem "Livings," what kind of constellations are mentioned at the end of the poem?
15. Finish this line from "As Bad as a Mile": "The apple unbitten ________."
(a) On the tree.
(b) In the palm.
(c) In the grass.
(d) In the vase.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Dublinesque," what name is heard in the street?
2. In the poem "Livings," how many days does the narrator spend in the hotel?
3. Finish this line from "High Windows": "And everyone young going down the long slide to _______."
4. Finish this line from "The Building": "Though crowds each evening try with wasteful, weak, propitiatory _________."
5. In the poem "For Sidney Bechet," the narrator says a note is reflected like which city on the water?
This section contains 376 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)