|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the poem "Night-Music," what kind of trees are mentioned?
(a) Black poplars.
(b) Spring pines.
(c) Grand oaks.
(d) Heavenly maples.
2. In the poem "Poetry of Departure," what does the narrator say he gets sick of?
3. In the poem "Pour Away That Youth," what fear is expressed?
(a) Fear of death.
(b) Fear of ghosts.
(c) Fear of failure.
(d) Fear of life.
4. In the poem "Heaviest of Flowers," to what does the narrator compare memories?
5. Finish the line from "Wants": "Beneath it all, desire of ______ runs."
6. In the poem "If Grief Could Burn Out," to what does the narrator compare grief?
7. In the poem "Morning Has Spread Again," how many times has the narrator and his subject met?
(a) More than five times.
(b) Fewer than six times.
(c) He has known her his whole life.
(d) Every day.
8. In the poem "Winter," which of these elements is NOT mentioned?
9. In the poem "Ugly Sister," how many steps are there to her room?
10. In the poem "I Dreamed of an Out-thrust Arm," what is the narrator empty of?
11. In the poem "The Bottle Is Drunk," what is the narrator sick from?
(a) The cold.
(d) Want of sleep.
12. In "Within a Dream," what does the poet say is cold?
(a) The ground.
(b) The air.
(c) The bed.
(d) His heart.
13. Who is the narrator of the poem "Wedding-Wind"?
(a) Larkin himself.
(b) A newly married man.
(c) A stable boy.
(d) A newly married woman.
14. What poem is this opening line from: "At last you yielded the album, which,/ Once open, sent me distracted"?
(a) "Lines on a Young Lady's Photograph Album."
(c) "Whatever Happened?"
(d) "At Grass."
15. In the poem "Wedding-Wind," what animal is restless?
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom is the poem "Born Yesterday" dedicated?
2. What pleases the narrator in the poem "Church Going"?
3. What line is repeated in "All Catches Alight"?
4. What is the nationality of the girl on the train in "Like the Train's Beat"?
5. In the poem "Myxomatosis," what object causes the subject pain?
This section contains 410 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)