|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of these phrases is italicized in the poem "Places, Loved Ones"?
(a) Your person, your place.
(b) This is my proper ground.
(c) None the less.
(d) Who has instant claim.
2. What question does the narrator ask in "This Was Your Place of Birth"?
(a) "Are you lonesome tonight?"
(b) "Are you fate, or fate's fading light?"
(c) "Are you the bell ringing in the distance?"
(d) "Are you prepared for what the night will bring?"
3. In the poem "Arrivals, Departures," what line is in parentheses?
(a) "Tame water lanes, tall shed, the traveler sees."
(b) "His advent blurted to the morning shore."
(c) "His bag of samples knocking at his knees."
(d) "Arrivals lowering in a doleful distance."
4. What "irritant" is mentioned in the poem "Dry-Point"?
(a) A broken bone.
(b) A bruise.
(c) A blister.
(d) A pulled muscle.
5. In the poem "Waiting for Breakfast," what is the female character doing?
(a) Making toast.
(b) Reading the newspaper.
(c) Turning on the stove.
(d) Brushing her hair.
6. In "The Moon Is Full Tonight," what is gone from earth?
7. In the poem "Toads," what does the toad represent?
(b) Ungracious people.
(c) Old men.
(d) The animal, the toad.
8. Who is the author of this book of poetry?
(a) Phillip Lawson.
(b) Philip Larkin.
(c) Phillip Laykin.
(d) Larking Philips.
9. In "The Horns of the Morning," what does the poet say the mornings are bright with?
10. What animal is mentioned in the poem "Age"?
11. What types of games are long gone in the poem "Cut Grass"?
(a) Bird watching.
(b) Cattle roping.
(c) Cattle auctions.
12. Finish this line from the poem "One Man Walking": "One man restlessly waiting ______."
(a) A train.
(b) A lover.
(c) For love.
(d) For shelter.
13. In the poem "This Is the First Thing," what sound does the narrator say time is?
(a) A shout.
(b) An echo.
(c) A ping.
(d) A smack.
14. To whom is "All Catches Alight" dedicated?
(a) Bruce Montgomery.
(b) Montgomery Ward.
(c) Bruce Wayne.
(d) Warden Montgomery.
15. What line is repeated in "All Catches Alight"?
(a) A drum taps; a wintry drum.
(b) Drum to the beat of your soul.
(c) Drum on, patriot.
(d) Beat, beat, cried the drum.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the poem "The Bottle Is Drunk," what is the narrator sick from?
2. In the poem "Heaviest of Flowers," to what does the narrator compare memories?
3. In "Dawn," what does the poet say is strange?
4. In the poem "Latest Face," who is the latest face?
5. In the poem "Spring," where is the narrator?
This section contains 455 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)