|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the poem "Love, We Must Part Now," what does the narrator say is always in a parting relationship?
2. What emotion does the narrator of the poem "Wedding-Wind" feel?
3. In the poem "Toads," what does the toad represent?
(a) Ungracious people.
(b) The animal, the toad.
(d) Old men.
4. In the poem "Latest Face," who is the latest face?
(a) His, in the mirror.
(b) His age, which is showing.
(c) His behavior at the time.
(d) An admirer.
5. How many parts compose "The North Ship"?
6. In the poem "Spring," where is the narrator?
(a) In the woods.
(b) In an airplane.
(c) Looking out of his apartment.
(d) In the park.
7. In the poem "Wants," what does the narrator want more than anything?
(a) To be famous.
(b) To have more friends.
(c) To have a room of his own.
(d) To be alone.
8. In "Within a Dream," what does the poet say is cold?
(a) The bed.
(b) The ground.
(c) His heart.
(d) The air.
9. In the poem "Maiden Name," what did marriage do to the woman?
(a) Erased her old identity.
(b) Left her alone.
(c) Helped her become a new woman.
(d) Saved her from spinsterhood.
10. In the poem "The Dancer," what elements does the dancer contemplate imitating?
(a) A rose.
(b) A cloud.
(c) A horse.
(d) A butterfly.
11. In the poem "Reasons for Attendance," where is the narrator?
(a) At a dance.
(b) At a wedding.
(c) At a graduation.
(d) At a work meeting.
12. What animal is mentioned in the poem "Wires"?
13. In the poem "Deceptions," what does the ruined woman in the epigraph claim?
(a) That she deceived someone.
(b) That her husband was not who she thought he was.
(c) That she was drugged.
(d) That it was a masquerade.
14. Who is the author of this book of poetry?
(a) Phillip Lawson.
(b) Phillip Laykin.
(c) Philip Larkin.
(d) Larking Philips.
15. In the poem "I See a Girl Dragged," what does the narrator see men doing?
(b) Burying bodies.
(c) Shoveling snow.
(d) Carrying coal.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the poem "Pour Away That Youth," what fear is expressed?
2. What instrument is mentioned in the poem "Reasons for Attendance"?
3. Finish the line from "Wants": "Beneath it all, desire of ______ runs."
4. What is the nationality of the girl on the train in "Like the Train's Beat"?
5. In the poem "Arrivals, Departures," what line is in parentheses?
This section contains 435 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)