|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is said to be unpleasantly met in the fifth of the "Five Finger Exercises"?
(a) Ralph Hodgson Esquire.
(b) Mr. Eliot.
(c) Mirza Mura Ali Beg.
(d) A Yorkshire Terrier.
2. In the sixth chorus of 'The Rock,' it is said that it is hard for those who have never known persecution or a Christian to believe what?
(a) The security of Christianity.
(b) Tales of Christian persecution.
(c) The defeat of violence.
(d) The truth of the Faith.
3. What sort of game are the women in "Fragments of an Aristophanic Melodrama" playing?
(a) A game with dice.
(b) A drawing game.
(c) A word game.
(d) A card game.
4. Who is the God of the bone in Part II of "Four Quartets: The Dry Salvages"?
(d) The earth.
5. What is felt, in Part IV of "Four Quartets: East Coker", beneath the "bleeding hands"?
(a) The enigma of the fever chart.
(b) The absolute paternal care.
(c) The sharp compassion of the healer's art.
(d) Frigid purgatorial fires.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part I of "Four Quartets: Burnt Norton", into what does the "door we never opened" lead?
2. In Part II of "Four Quartets: Burnt Norton", it is said that what two things are reconciled among the stars?
3. The juice of what does Mr. Hodgson press on "his palate fine" in "Five Finger Exercises"?
4. How many of the characters are women in the fragment of a prologue?
5. In Part III of "Four Quartets: Burnt Norton", it is said that "time-ridden faces" are distracted from their distractions by what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is a possible interpretation of the use of the phrase "In my beginning is my end" and its inversion, "In my end is my beginning" at the beginning and end of "East Coker"?
2. How do love and desire contrast with one another in "Burnt Norton"?
3. Why does the speaker of "Lines for an Old Man" compare himself with a tiger?
4. What is implied by the repetition of the phrase "meaning / Death," in reference to the various stages of life's enjoyment in "Marina"?
5. What characterizes the tone of the poem in "Difficulties of a Statesman"?
6. What is the apparent distinction between the attitude towards Christmas of the child and the childish in "The Cultivation of Christmas Trees"?
7. What is a possible interpretation of the significance of the "Midwinter spring" described in Part I of "Little Gidding"?
8. What is the significance of the final landscape, "Cape Ann"?
9. How is the "Mr. Eliot" of the "Five-Finger Exercises" satirized?
10. What is the tone of the five parts of the "Five-Finger Exercises" and how is this indicated?
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)