|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many men appear in the fragment of an Agon in the "Fragments of an Aristophanic Melodrama"?
2. In Part II of "Four Quartets: Little Gidding", the death of hope and despair is the death of what?
3. The row of family portraits, "dingy busts," in "Difficulties of a Statesman" all look remarkably what?
4. In Part III of "Four Quartets: The Dry Salvages", the speaker wishes the voyagers not "fare well," but what?
(a) Fare forward.
(c) Fair well.
(d) Bon voyage.
5. In the second chorus of 'The Rock,' it is said that the people will neglect what?
(a) The Faith.
(b) The Temple.
(c) The mind.
(d) The body.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "A Dedication to My Wife," it is said that lovers "babble the same speech without need of" what?
2. At what door might the speaker of "Eyes that last I saw in tears" see the eyes again?
3. To whom is the praise directed in the tenth chorus of 'The Rock'?
4. In Part II of "Four Quartets: Burnt Norton", it is said that what two things are reconciled among the stars?
5. Where does the "golden vision" reappear in "Eyes that last I saw in tears"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the overall condition of true lovers described in "A Dedication to My Wife"?
2. About what is the speaker confused in "The wind sprang up at four o'clock"?
3. Where is the reader told to go and why in the third landscape, "Usk"?
4. Why do the "cycles of Heaven in twenty centuries," spoken of in the first chorus from 'The Rock,' bring man further away from God and closer to dust?
5. How is Part IV of "The Dry Salvages" different from the other four sections of the poem?
6. What does it mean to be "redeemed from fire by fire" as stated in the fourth part of "Little Gidding"?
7. What does Sweeney primarily describe in the "Fragment of an Agon"?
8. What characterizes the metaphors used as description of the old man bearing the "tooth of wit" in "Lines for an Old Man"?
9. How do love and desire contrast with one another in "Burnt Norton"?
10. What is a possible interpretation of the significance of the "Midwinter spring" described in Part I of "Little Gidding"?
This section contains 798 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)