|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many people speak in "Conversation Galante"?
2. What, in "A Song for Simeon", are said to be "blooming in bowls"?
(a) English laurels.
(b) Roman hyacinths.
(c) Israeli violets.
(d) Frankish tulips.
3. From whose hand does the simple soul issue in "Animula"?
(a) The world's soul's.
(c) The earth's.
4. The speaker of "Ash Wednesday" informs a lady in Part II that what sat under a juniper tree?
(a) A young maid.
(b) Six staring skulls.
(c) Three white leopards.
(d) A hungry dog.
5. In what shall the "True Church" of "The Hippopotamus" remained wrapped below?
(a) Miasmal mist.
(b) Splendor and glory.
(c) Virginal robes.
(d) Eternal quagmire.
Short Answer Questions
1. What country has Mr. Apollinax visited according to the poem of the same name?
2. Over what do multitudes weep, as reported in the final stanza of A Cooking Egg?
3. The speaker says that the readers of the "Boston Evening Transcript" sway "in the wind like a field of" what?
4. To whom does the speaker hand a copy of the "Boston Evening Transcript"?
5. What is the last phrase of "Rhapsody on a Windy Night"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is implied by stating in "The Hippopotamus" that the "True Church need never stir / To gather in its dividends"?
2. For what is the speaker yearning in "La Figlia che Piange", and what indicates this?
3. What is the tone of the speaker towards his life in "Rhapsody on a Windy Night", and how is this indicated in the poem?
4. What happened to Phlebas the Phoenician, as described in Part IV of "The Waste Land"?
5. For what does Simeon hope in his encounter with the Christ child?
6. How does the simple soul begin its life, according to the first 13 lines of "Animula"?
7. What is the meaning of the phrase in "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock" , "I have measured out my life with coffee spoons"?
8. What is meant at the end of the "Journey of the Magi" by the magi saying that they found death when they encountered the Christ child?
9. What is meant in The Hippopotamus by stating that the "True Church remains below / Wrapt in the old miasmal mist"?
10. What characterizes the speech of the stuffed men in "The Hollow Men"?
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)