|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is claimed as "our sentimental friend" in "Conversation Galante"?
(a) Eamon Rood.
(b) The moon.
(c) Prester John.
(d) Madam Humorist.
2. In "Mr. Eliot's Sunday Morning Service", it is said that in the beginning was what?
(a) The Being.
(b) The Light.
(c) The Word.
(d) The Polyphiloprogenitive.
3. What God slowly left Burbank in "Burbank with a Baedeker: Bleistein with a Cigar"?
4. What lies on the table in the first stanza of "A Cooking Egg"?
(a) Views of the Oxford Colleges.
(b) The Grand Chartreuse.
(c) The Rime of the Ancient Mariner.
(d) An invitation to the dance.
5. On what does the speaker in "La Figlia che Piange" tell his auditor to lean?
(a) The noon's repose.
(b) A vine-covered wall.
(c) A garden urn.
(d) The pavement of the stair.
Short Answer Questions
1. What can the hippopotamus never reach, in contrast to the Church which is refreshed by similar objects from overseas?
2. At the end of their journey, at what time did the speakers of the "Journey of the Magi" prefer to travel?
3. The speaker of "Ash Wednesday" informs a lady in Part II that what sat under a juniper tree?
4. Of whose "damp souls" is the speaker of "Morning at the Window" aware?
5. Upon what is the "True Church" in The Hippopotamus based?
Short Essay Questions
1. How has Simeon passed his life, as described in "A Song for Simeon"?
2. How does Mr. Apollinax contrast with his hosts?
3. What is implied by stating in "The Hippopotamus" that the "True Church need never stir / To gather in its dividends"?
4. What is the significance of the lion made tame in the final stanza of "Burbank with a Baedeker: Bleistein with a Cigar"?
5. What is the significance of the "guardians of the faith" keeping watch upon the shelves in "Cousin Nancy"?
6. What happened to Phlebas the Phoenician, as described in Part IV of "The Waste Land"?
7. What sort of people are the "nightingales" among whom Sweeney cavorts in "Sweeney Among the Nightingales"?
8. What is the meaning of the phrase in "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock" , "I have measured out my life with coffee spoons"?
9. What is the tone of the speaker towards his life in "Rhapsody on a Windy Night", and how is this indicated in the poem?
10. What is meant at the end of the "Journey of the Magi" by the magi saying that they found death when they encountered the Christ child?
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)