|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What in "Morning at the Window" "hovers in the air" and "vanishes along the level of the roofs"?
(a) A despondent wail.
(b) A twisted face.
(c) A dry exhale.
(d) An aimless smile.
2. What Shakespearean character does Prufrock say he is not?
(b) Henry Bolingbroke.
3. In order to keep what warm does "our lot" crawl "between dry ribs" at the end of "Whispers of Immortality"?
(a) Our souls.
(b) Our mothers.
(c) Our metaphysics.
(d) Our hearts.
4. Where are "they" rattling breakfast plates in "Morning at the Window"?
(a) Dining halls.
(b) Ancient cupboards.
(c) Basement kitchens.
(d) Oaken tables.
5. What God slowly left Burbank in "Burbank with a Baedeker: Bleistein with a Cigar"?
Short Answer Questions
1. What country has Mr. Apollinax visited according to the poem of the same name?
2. On what is it said that Burbank in "Burbank with a Baedeker: Bleistein with a Cigar" is meditating at the poem's end?
3. In Part I of "The Waste Land", "The Burial of the Dead," which month is said to be the cruelest?
4. At what does the subject of "Animula" grasp?
5. Who is said to be on the bed in "Sweeney Erect", curving backward and clutching at her sides?
Short Essay Questions
1. For what is the speaker yearning in "La Figlia che Piange", and what indicates this?
2. What is the significance of the two stanzas concerned with Donne in "Whispers of Immortality"?
3. What is the significance of the "guardians of the faith" keeping watch upon the shelves in "Cousin Nancy"?
4. What is implied by stating in "The Hippopotamus" that the "True Church need never stir / To gather in its dividends"?
5. How does Mr. Apollinax contrast with his hosts?
6. What is the significance of the intimacy between the footman and the second housemaid in "Aunt Helen"?
7. What is a possible interpretation of the line, "Teach us to care and not to care" in "Ash-Wednesday"?
8. What is the tone of the speaker towards his life in "Rhapsody on a Windy Night", and how is this indicated in the poem?
9. How does the simple soul begin its life, according to the first 13 lines of "Animula"?
10. What is meant in The Hippopotamus by stating that the "True Church remains below / Wrapt in the old miasmal mist"?
This section contains 827 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)