|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the speaker of "La Figlia che Piange" tell his auditor to weave in her hair?
2. What does the hippopotamus do at night?
3. Which of the following is used in Part I of "The Hollow Men" as a metaphor for the "dried voices" of the hollow men whispering to one another?
(a) Rats' feet over broken glass.
(b) Pages of a book being thumbed in an adjacent room.
(c) Distant hinges squeaking closed.
(d) Dead leaves rustling in the wind.
4. Over what do multitudes weep, as reported in the final stanza of A Cooking Egg?
(a) Beer and bread.
(b) Crumpets and scones.
(c) Tea and biscuits.
(d) Fear and loathing.
5. What is the last phrase of "Rhapsody on a Windy Night"?
(a) "A madman shakes a dead geranium."
(b) "The last twist of the knife."
(c) "Prepare for life."
(d) "Regard the moon."
Short Answer Questions
1. What shall wash the hippopotamus clean?
2. The speaker says that the readers of the "Boston Evening Transcript" sway "in the wind like a field of" what?
3. What is the last thing the speaker remembers of Mrs. Phlaccus and Professor and Mrs. Cheetah in "Mr. Apollinax"?
4. Behind what does the "small soul" of "Animula" curl up?
5. What word aptly describes the dances that "Cousin Nancy" danced?
Short Essay Questions
1. What sort of people are the "nightingales" among whom Sweeney cavorts in "Sweeney Among the Nightingales"?
2. What is the tone of the speaker towards his life in "Rhapsody on a Windy Night", and how is this indicated in the poem?
3. What does the reception of the viaticum in "Animula" do for the soul?
4. For what does Simeon hope in his encounter with the Christ child?
5. What is meant at the end of the "Journey of the Magi" by the magi saying that they found death when they encountered the Christ child?
6. What is meant in The Hippopotamus by stating that the "True Church remains below / Wrapt in the old miasmal mist"?
7. Who are the "ladies of the corridor" in "Sweeney Erect"?
8. How does the simple soul begin its life, according to the first 13 lines of "Animula"?
9. What is the significance of the lion made tame in the final stanza of "Burbank with a Baedeker: Bleistein with a Cigar"?
10. Why is Sweeney uncomfortable in "Mr. Eliot's Sunday Morning Service"?
This section contains 748 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)