|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At what does the "lustreless protrusive eye" stare at a perspective of in "Burbank with a Baedeker: Bleistein with a Cigar"?
(b) Princess Volupine.
(c) The Rialto.
(d) Sir Ferdinand Klein.
2. At what does the subject of "Animula" grasp?
(a) Hands and feet.
(b) Forks and knives.
(c) Tables and chairs.
(d) Kisses and toys.
3. Who tries to sit on Sweeney's knees in "Sweeney Among the Nightingales"?
(a) The waiter who brings in oranges.
(b) Rachel nee Rabinovitch.
(d) The person in the Spanish cape.
4. Which of the following cities is not named in Part V of "The Waste Land", "What the Thunder Said"?
5. What was the last name of "Cousin Nancy"?
Short Answer Questions
1. For what did Donne in "Whispers of Immortality" find no substitute?
2. Which of the following is used in Part I of "The Hollow Men" as a metaphor for the "dried voices" of the hollow men whispering to one another?
3. How does Prufrock say he shall wear the bottoms of his trousers?
4. The speaker in "Hysteria" states that he becomes involved in "her" laughter until her teeth become what?
5. Which of the following phrases is repeated throughout Part II of "The Waste Land", "A Game of Chess"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the tone of the speaker towards his life in "Rhapsody on a Windy Night", and how is this indicated in the poem?
2. What is a possible interpretation of the "notion of some infinitely gentle / Infinitely suffering thing" described near the end of the "Preludes"?
3. What is the significance of the intimacy between the footman and the second housemaid in "Aunt Helen"?
4. What is the significance of the two stanzas concerned with Donne in "Whispers of Immortality"?
5. Why is Sweeney uncomfortable in "Mr. Eliot's Sunday Morning Service"?
6. What is the tone of the speaker in "Morning at the Window" and why?
7. What does the reception of the viaticum in "Animula" do for the soul?
8. What is the apparent distinction between the two speakers in "Conversation Galante"?
9. What is meant in The Hippopotamus by stating that the "True Church remains below / Wrapt in the old miasmal mist"?
10. What is implied by stating in "The Hippopotamus" that the "True Church need never stir / To gather in its dividends"?
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)