|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose hands wove the "intolerable shirt of flame" in Part IV of "Four Quartets: Little Gidding"?
2. In the fourth Landscape, which of the following does the road NOT wind?
(a) Anger of ignored cry.
(b) Clamour of confused wrong.
(c) Langour of broken steel.
(d) Listlessness of ancient war.
3. What prayer does the sea bell say perpetually in Part IV of "Four Quartets: The Dry Salvages"?
(a) The Memorare.
(b) The Lord's Prayer.
(c) The Angelus.
(d) The Doxologia Minor.
4. Where is the speaker at the end of "Four Quartets: East Coker" according to Part I?
(a) His beginning.
(b) His love.
(c) His mind.
(d) His heart.
5. In the second of the "Five Finger Exercises", what stands in the brown field?
(a) A scarecrow.
(b) A century.
(c) A man.
(d) A tree.
6. What does the speaker say is not more irritable than he in "Lines for an Old Man"?
(a) A mother deprived of her children.
(b) A lion.
(c) A tiger.
(d) A disturbed ant-hill.
7. In the first stanza of Part IV of "Four Quartets: Burnt Norton", what do time and the bell do?
(a) Carry the sun away.
(b) Answer light to light.
(c) Bury the day.
(d) Clutch and cling.
8. Whom does the poet shall "try" man's well-preserved complacency in the third of the "Five Finger Exercises"?
(a) The light.
(b) The worm.
(c) The dark.
(d) The dog.
9. Between what two things were the bells swinging in "The wind sprang up at four o'clock"?
(a) Life and death.
(b) Time and eternity.
(c) Love and hate.
(d) Truth and falsity.
10. What object in "Fragments of an Aristophanic Melodrama" is related to a coffin?
(a) A ten-sided playing dice.
(b) The two of spades.
(c) An image of a flowerbox.
(d) The word "coffer."
11. In the second chorus of 'The Rock,' it is said that the people will neglect what?
(a) The Faith.
(b) The body.
(c) The mind.
(d) The Temple.
12. Whose carol and crown of fire does the speaker of "The Cultivation of Christmas Trees" remember?
(a) St. Lucy.
(b) St. Nicholas.
(c) St. Claire.
(d) St. Franics.
13. Where does the "golden vision" reappear in "Eyes that last I saw in tears"?
(a) The wold.
(b) Under the red rock.
(c) Death's dream kingdom.
(d) Death's other kingdom.
14. Who wonders at the tree in "The Cultivation of Christmas Trees"?
(a) The priest.
(b) The pagan.
(c) The idiot.
(d) The child.
15. What in Part V of "Four Quartets: Burnt Norton" is said to be "itself unmoving, / Only the cause and end of movement"?
Short Answer Questions
1. What sort bird calls through the fog at the end of "Marina"?
2. In the second stanza of Part III of "Four Quartets: Burnt Norton", into what world does the speaker say to descend?
3. Who, in the eighth chorus of 'The Rock,' is said to have spoken of the shame of Jerusalem?
4. What image is used as a metaphor in the second Landscape?
5. In Part III of "Four Quartets: The Dry Salvages", the speaker wishes the voyagers not "fare well," but what?
This section contains 517 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)