|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What Shakespearean character does Prufrock say he is not?
(c) Henry Bolingbroke.
2. In order to keep what warm does "our lot" crawl "between dry ribs" at the end of "Whispers of Immortality"?
(a) Our metaphysics.
(b) Our hearts.
(c) Our mothers.
(d) Our souls.
3. To whom does the speaker hand a copy of the "Boston Evening Transcript"?
(a) Cousin Jones.
(b) Cousin Melville.
(c) Cousin Harriet.
(d) Cousin Thomas.
4. On what is it said that Burbank in "Burbank with a Baedeker: Bleistein with a Cigar" is meditating at the poem's end?
(a) Tepid tea-times.
(b) Time's ruins and the seven laws.
(c) The vacillations of seasonal uniformity.
(d) Frugality and frivolity.
5. Who shall be the speaker's bride in A Cooking Egg?
(a) Madame Blavatsky.
(b) Beatrice Valanche.
(c) Lucretia Borgia.
6. What does the speaker of the poem in the "Boston Evening Transcript" do after mounting the steps?
(a) Ring the bell.
(b) Run back down.
(c) Sigh quietly.
(d) Shed a tear.
7. Who is the "still unspeaking and unspoken Word" in "A Song for Simeon"?
(b) The Foreigner.
(c) The Servant.
(d) The Infant.
8. Who is the literal "he" that devours "us" in line 48 of "Gerontion"?
(b) The old man.
(c) De Bailhache.
(d) The tiger.
9. In Part I of "The Waste Land", "The Burial of the Dead," which month is said to be the cruelest?
10. What animal died shortly after "Aunt Helen"?
(a) The cat.
(b) The dogs.
(c) The rat.
(d) The parrot.
11. What does the poem's speaker ask if he has the right to do at the very end of "Portrait of a Lady"?
12. Whose "Russian eye" in "Whispers of Immortality" is "underlined for emphasis"?
13. What was for the speakers of the "Journey of the Magi"a death?
(a) The return journey.
(b) The birth of Christ.
(c) Taking up their old dispensation.
(d) The length of their journey.
14. Which of the following cities is not named in Part V of "The Waste Land", "What the Thunder Said"?
15. From what will the speaker of "A Song for Simeon" children's children flee?
(a) Spears of the soulless.
(b) Foreign faces and swords.
(c) Familiar faces turned hostile.
(d) Faithless faith-mongers.
Short Answer Questions
1. At what times does the speaker of "Animula" ask others to pray on the behalf of "us"?
2. The penultimate line in Part IV of "Ash Wednesday" mentions how many whispers from the yew?
3. What was the last name of "Cousin Nancy"?
4. Where are "they" rattling breakfast plates in "Morning at the Window"?
5. To what animal's path will the speaker of "A Song for Simeon" children's children take?
This section contains 468 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)