|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Of whose "damp souls" is the speaker of "Morning at the Window" aware?
(b) Old wives.
(c) Chimney sweeps.
2. Where are "they" rattling breakfast plates in "Morning at the Window"?
(a) Basement kitchens.
(b) Oaken tables.
(c) Dining halls.
(d) Ancient cupboards.
3. How many people speak in "Conversation Galante"?
4. What was the last name of "Cousin Nancy"?
5. Of what school is the painter who is described in "Mr. Eliot's Sunday Morning Service"?
6. What shall wash the hippopotamus clean?
(a) The water of the river.
(b) The fire of the Lord.
(c) The first snow of the year.
(d) The Blood of the Lamb.
7. By what in "Whispers of Immortality" was Webster much possessed?
8. What is the last phrase of "Rhapsody on a Windy Night"?
(a) "Regard the moon."
(b) "A madman shakes a dead geranium."
(c) "Prepare for life."
(d) "The last twist of the knife."
9. When does the hippo's voice betray "inflexions hoarse and odd"?
(a) Night time.
(b) The early morning.
(c) At birth.
(d) Mating time.
10. What compels the "scampering marmoset" in "Whispers of Immortality"?
(a) The Brazilian jaguar.
(b) The Russian eye.
(c) The Abstract Entities.
(d) The anguish of the marrow.
11. For what did Donne in "Whispers of Immortality" find no substitute?
12. The penultimate line in Part IV of "Ash Wednesday" mentions how many whispers from the yew?
(a) A hundred.
(b) A thousand.
(d) An infinity.
13. Who is the literal "he" that devours "us" in line 48 of "Gerontion"?
(b) De Bailhache.
(c) The tiger.
(d) The old man.
14. Behind what does the "small soul" of "Animula" curl up?
(a) Copleston's History of Philosophy.
(b) The Encyclopaedia Britannica.
(c) The Oxford English Dictionary.
(d) The Grand Piano.
15. To whom does the speaker hand a copy of the "Boston Evening Transcript"?
(a) Cousin Thomas.
(b) Cousin Jones.
(c) Cousin Melville.
(d) Cousin Harriet.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what do the "lips that would kiss" in Part III of "The Hollow Men" form prayers?
2. Who is the "still unspeaking and unspoken Word" in "A Song for Simeon"?
3. To whom is the last line of "Ash Wednesday" addressed?
4. What Shakespearean character does Prufrock say he is not?
5. In what shall the "True Church" of "The Hippopotamus" remained wrapped below?
This section contains 390 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)