|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which two "guardians of the faith" kept watch upon the shelves?
(a) Virgil and Homer.
(b) Alfred and Omar.
(c) Matthew and Waldo.
(d) Alighieri and Spenser.
2. By whom is the speaker in the first stanza of "Gerontion" being read?
(a) His wife.
(b) A boy.
(c) His mother.
(d) A girl.
3. What does the hippopotamus do at night?
4. In "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock", it is said that the women "come and go, talking of" whom?
5. The speaker in "Hysteria" states that he becomes involved in "her" laughter until her teeth become what?
(a) Fragments of gold.
(b) Iron tables.
(c) Short gasps.
(d) Accidental stars.
6. Whom does the speaker claim is inane in "Conversation Galante"?
(a) The woman.
(b) Prester John.
(d) Eamon Rood.
7. In order to keep what warm does "our lot" crawl "between dry ribs" at the end of "Whispers of Immortality"?
(a) Our mothers.
(b) Our metaphysics.
(c) Our hearts.
(d) Our souls.
8. What is the last thing the speaker remembers of Mrs. Phlaccus and Professor and Mrs. Cheetah in "Mr. Apollinax"?
(a) Nothing at all.
(b) The sound of a centaur's hoofs.
(c) A bitten macaroon.
(d) A slice of lemon.
9. On what does the speaker in "La Figlia che Piange" tell his auditor to lean?
(a) The pavement of the stair.
(b) A vine-covered wall.
(c) The noon's repose.
(d) A garden urn.
10. Who is the literal "he" that devours "us" in line 48 of "Gerontion"?
(b) The tiger.
(c) De Bailhache.
(d) The old man.
11. What disordered objects are left in a dusty room in "Animula"?
12. The speaker in "Portrait of a Lady" states that his auditor would have the "scene arrange itself" among the smoke and fog of an afternoon in what month?
13. In what shall the "True Church" of "The Hippopotamus" remained wrapped below?
(a) Eternal quagmire.
(b) Miasmal mist.
(c) Splendor and glory.
(d) Virginal robes.
14. Who is the "still unspeaking and unspoken Word" in "A Song for Simeon"?
(a) The Servant.
(b) The Infant.
(d) The Foreigner.
15. Whom does the speaker in "Sweeney Erect" cite as saying that "The lengthened shadow of a man / Is history"?
Short Answer Questions
1. What compels the "scampering marmoset" in "Whispers of Immortality"?
2. Of whose "damp souls" is the speaker of "Morning at the Window" aware?
3. In "Mr. Eliot's Sunday Morning Service", it is said that in the beginning was what?
4. What word aptly describes the dances that "Cousin Nancy" danced?
5. What was the last name of "Cousin Nancy"?
This section contains 436 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)