|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who in "Sweeney Among the Nightingales" "declines the gambit, shows fatigue"?
(a) The person in the Spanish cape.
(c) The man with heavy eyes.
(d) The silent man in mocha brown.
2. Which Greek god does the speaker in "Sweeney Erect" insist be displayed above him in the poem's second stanza?
3. What does the hippopotamus do at night?
4. In what shall the "True Church" of "The Hippopotamus" remained wrapped below?
(a) Splendor and glory.
(b) Virginal robes.
(c) Miasmal mist.
(d) Eternal quagmire.
5. Whom does the speaker in "Sweeney Erect" cite as saying that "The lengthened shadow of a man / Is history"?
6. What does the speaker of the poem in the "Boston Evening Transcript" do after mounting the steps?
(a) Sigh quietly.
(b) Shed a tear.
(c) Ring the bell.
(d) Run back down.
7. Who tries to sit on Sweeney's knees in "Sweeney Among the Nightingales"?
(b) Rachel nee Rabinovitch.
(c) The person in the Spanish cape.
(d) The waiter who brings in oranges.
8. By whom is the speaker in the first stanza of "Gerontion" being read?
(a) A girl.
(b) His wife.
(c) A boy.
(d) His mother.
9. By what in "Whispers of Immortality" was Webster much possessed?
10. Upon what is the "True Church" in The Hippopotamus based?
(b) A rock.
(c) Flesh and blood.
(d) The mud.
11. Over what do multitudes weep, as reported in the final stanza of A Cooking Egg?
(a) Tea and biscuits.
(b) Beer and bread.
(c) Crumpets and scones.
(d) Fear and loathing.
12. How many people speak in "Conversation Galante"?
13. At what does the subject of "Animula" grasp?
(a) Kisses and toys.
(b) Tables and chairs.
(c) Hands and feet.
(d) Forks and knives.
14. What God slowly left Burbank in "Burbank with a Baedeker: Bleistein with a Cigar"?
15. In order to keep what warm does "our lot" crawl "between dry ribs" at the end of "Whispers of Immortality"?
(a) Our metaphysics.
(b) Our souls.
(c) Our mothers.
(d) Our hearts.
Short Answer Questions
1. What in "Morning at the Window" "hovers in the air" and "vanishes along the level of the roofs"?
2. To what animal's path will the speaker of "A Song for Simeon" children's children take?
3. Whom does the speaker claim is inane in "Conversation Galante"?
4. What does the speaker of "La Figlia che Piange" tell his auditor to weave in her hair?
5. The speaker of "Hysteria" concentrates his attention with "careful subtlety" to achieving what end?
This section contains 455 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)