|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Poems (1920) - Mr. Eliot's Sunday Morning Service | Poems (1920) - Sweeney Among the Nightingales.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The speaker of "Hysteria" concentrates his attention with "careful subtlety" to achieving what end?
(a) Reassembling the fragments of her teeth.
(b) Escaping the cavern in which he has been entrapped.
(c) Constructing a boat from what he finds around him.
(d) Stopping the shaking of her breasts.
2. Which two "guardians of the faith" kept watch upon the shelves?
(a) Alfred and Omar.
(b) Virgil and Homer.
(c) Alighieri and Spenser.
(d) Matthew and Waldo.
3. To whom does the speaker hand a copy of the "Boston Evening Transcript"?
(a) Cousin Jones.
(b) Cousin Thomas.
(c) Cousin Melville.
(d) Cousin Harriet.
4. What does the hippopotamus do at night?
5. What two things are described as drifting above in the second stanza of "Sweeney Among the Nightingales"?
(a) Death and the Raven.
(b) The Raven and Pestilence.
(c) Plague and the Crow.
(d) Orion and the Dog.
Short Answer Questions
1. What Shakespearean character does Prufrock say he is not?
2. On what does the speaker in "La Figlia che Piange" tell his auditor to lean?
3. Which Greek god does the speaker in "Sweeney Erect" insist be displayed above him in the poem's second stanza?
4. Under what did the poem's speaker look for Mr. Apollinax's head to roll?
5. In the second part of the "Preludes", the speaker says that the morning comes to consciousness with faint smells of what?
This section contains 245 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)