|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Choruses from 'The Rock'.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The speaker in "Hysteria" states that he becomes involved in "her" laughter until her teeth become what?
(a) Iron tables.
(b) Fragments of gold.
(c) Short gasps.
(d) Accidental stars.
2. What reality does the poem attempt to convey behind the impressive display of the "Triumphal March"?
(a) The temporality of power.
(b) The fecundity of love.
(c) The inevitability of death.
(d) The frivolity of war.
3. What event is spoken of in the last line of the first part of the "Preludes"?
(a) The rustling of a newspaper.
(b) The tramping of a man's feet.
(c) The stamping of a horse.
(d) The lighting of the lamps.
4. In the fragrant brilliance of what does the subject of "Animula" take pleasure?
(a) The lapping waters of the river.
(b) The flickering candle.
(c) The Christmas tree.
(d) The shine and jingle of a set of keys.
5. Which of the following is used in Part I of "The Hollow Men" as a metaphor for the "dried voices" of the hollow men whispering to one another?
(a) Pages of a book being thumbed in an adjacent room.
(b) Dead leaves rustling in the wind.
(c) Distant hinges squeaking closed.
(d) Rats' feet over broken glass.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is "more affectionate than hate" in "Lines for an Old Man"?
2. What shall wash the hippopotamus clean?
3. By whom is the speaker in the first stanza of "Gerontion" being read?
4. Who spreads a pink and white checkered cloth over a rusty table in "Hysteria"?
5. At what does the subject of "Animula" grasp?
This section contains 313 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)