|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Man on the Pink Corner," what does the Yardmaster challenge Rosendo to?
(a) A foot race.
(b) A knife fight.
(c) A wrestling match.
(d) A duel with pistols.
2. In "The Secret Miracle," why is Hladik truly upset that he will be executed?
(a) He has unresolved issues with his wife.
(b) His execution goes against the words of a fortuneteller, who predicted he'd live to be 100.
(c) He has not finished his play, "The Enemies."
(d) He is no more upset than any normal man who is facing his own death.
3. In "The Zahir," what is his lover's sister obsessed with?
(c) A coin.
(d) A Blue Tiger.
4. In "A Theologian in Death," Melancthon believes that salvation is achieved in what way?
(a) Through faith alone.
(b) He does not believe salvation is possible.
(c) Through living virtuously.
(d) By giving up all of one's possessions.
5. In "A Survey of the Works of Herbert Quain," Quain writes one of his books based on which of the following?
(b) The migration of snowy egrets.
(c) Mathematical construction.
(d) More adventures for Sherlock Holmes.
6. In "Ibn-Hakam-Al Bokhari, Murdered in his Labyrinth," after killing his cousin, where does the protagonist sail?
(a) To Antarctica.
(b) To Australia.
(c) He does not sail.
(d) To England.
7. In "The Lottery in Babylon," which of these best describes what is drawn for in the lottery?
(a) Anything from a new occupation to jail or even death.
(b) A new spouse.
(c) Various books, from the simplest mechanical manuals to the highest book, one purported to teach its reader how to become immortal.
(d) Cash prizes.
8. In "The Circular Ruins," other than the sorcerer himself, who knows about the content of his dreams?
(a) The fire god.
(b) Everyone on earth.
(c) No one.
(d) His wife.
9. In "The Shape of the Sword," John Vincent Moon is a traitor to what ideology?
(a) Women's rights.
(c) The cause of Irish independence.
10. In "The Uncivil Teacher of Court Etiquette Kotsuke no Suke," what is the lord of Ako supposed to do as punishment for slashing Kotsuke no Suke with a sword?
(a) Cut off his hand and feed the pieces to the Emperor's Koi.
(b) Commit suicide by hari-kari.
(c) Convert to Christianity.
(d) Be imprisoned in a dungeon for twenty years.
11. In "The Garden of Forking Paths," why does Dr. Yu murder Dr. Albert?
(a) To alert the German command where to bomb a city named Albert.
(b) Dr. Albert stole his wife.
(c) He is insane.
(d) Dr. Albert made derogatory remarks about Asians.
12. In "The Approach to Al-Mu'tasim," who or what is Al-Mu'tasim supposed to be?
(a) An obscure language.
(b) A sect of Islam.
(c) A holy man.
(d) An magnificent oasis.
13. What does the sorcerer discover at the end of "The Circular Ruins"?
(a) He has been sleeping too much.
(b) That he himself is a dream.
(c) He is a jaguar.
(d) Dreams aren't that important.
14. In "The Theme of the Traitor and the Hero," what does the historian, Ryan, do when he discovers the truth behind the assassination?
(a) He runs for office in Ireland.
(b) He stages his own assassination.
(c) He villifies Kilpatrick and writes a polemic against him.
(d) He withholds the truth and writes a book in praise of Kilpatrick.
15. In "Funes, His Memory," at what age does Funes die?
(d) The age of his death is not given.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Library of Babel," the library can best be described as which of the following?
2. In "The Widow Ching--Pirate," what prompts the protagonist to become a pirate?
3. In "The Mirror of Ink," what does the ruler want the sorcerer to show him?
4. In "Story of the Two Dreamers," what does the man's dream tell him?
5. In "Death and the Compass," what character flaw leads Lonnrot to his death?
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)