|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "The Dead Man," why does Otalora first have to leave Argentina?
(a) He owes back taxes.
(b) He seeks a cure for a strange disease.
(c) He has slept with a woman whose husband pursues him.
(d) He has killed a man.
2. In "A Biography of Tadeo Isidoro Cruz (1829-1874)," what is Tadeo's punishment for killing a man?
(a) He is whipped.
(b) He is sent to the army.
(c) He is put into slavery.
(d) He goes to jail.
3. In "The Aleph," why does the narrator lie about the Aleph?
(a) He thinks knowledge of the Aleph would drive lesser minds insane.
(b) He is jealous.
(c) He is a compulsive liar.
(d) He wants to exploit the Aleph and make money, so he doesn't want anybody to know about it yet.
4. In "The Disinterested Killer Bill Harrigan," where does Bill commit most of his outlaw acts?
(b) The Wild West.
(c) New York City.
5. In "The Zahir," what is his lover's sister obsessed with?
(c) A Blue Tiger.
(d) A coin.
6. In "Averroes' Search," what concept or concepts can Averroes not comprehend?
(a) The philosophy of Aristotle.
(b) The philosophy of Plato.
(d) Greek tragedy and comedy.
7. In "The Aleph," where is the Aleph located?
(a) In a mosque.
(b) In the cave of a dragon.
(c) In a Sultan's treasure chest.
(d) In the basement of Carlos Argentino.
8. In "The Secret Miracle," why is Hladik truly upset that he will be executed?
(a) He has not finished his play, "The Enemies."
(b) His execution goes against the words of a fortuneteller, who predicted he'd live to be 100.
(c) He is no more upset than any normal man who is facing his own death.
(d) He has unresolved issues with his wife.
9. In "Deutsches Requiem," what group does Otto join?
(a) The Stalinists.
(b) An association of atheists.
(c) The Nazi party.
(d) The French Resistance.
10. In "The Story of the Warrior and the Captive Maiden," what is the attitude of the English woman who has married an Indian?
(a) She despises Indians.
(b) She feigns assimilation with the Indians, but is still quite English.
(c) She is thoroughly Indian herself now.
(d) She has gone mad.
11. In "The Widow Ching--Pirate," what prompts the protagonist to become a pirate?
(a) After knitting a pirate flag, she strangely decides she has to actually use it.
(b) The murder of her husband.
(c) She is brainwashed by another pirate.
(d) She is obsessed with the works of Robert Louis Stevenson.
12. In "The Wizard that was Made to Wait," what does the church dean do with the magic he learns?
(a) He becomes the richest man on earth.
(b) He does nothing--he is content to be a dean, with the knowledge of his magic.
(c) He becomes a sultan in Turkey.
(d) He beomes Pope.
13. In "The Library of Babel," what is the central shape that the library is based upon?"
14. In "The Other Death," how does the author suggest that Damian could be both a hero and a coward?
(a) He doesn't; Damian is portrayed as only a coward.
(b) He conveys how Damian would run, then fight, run, then fight, continuously during the battle.
(c) He doesn't; Damian is portrayed as strictly a hero.
(d) Though he fled from the battlefield, 40 years later on his deathbed, Damian, through a miracle, wills himself to be a hero.
15. In "The Dead Man," which of the following best characterizes the gang leader's attitude toward Otalora?
(a) He absolutely despises Otalora, and tolerates him only because of his abilities.
(b) He wants to groom Otalora to be the next leader.
(c) He enjoys his presence, for he knows Otalora will be killed, and hence enjoys toying with him.
(d) He is terrified of Otalora, and allows him to do what he wants because of fear.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Emma Zunz," what does Emma pretend to be in order to complete her revenge?
2. In "Tlon, Uqbar, Orbis Tertius," what is Orbis Tertius?
3. Which of the following best describes "Ibn-Hakam-Al Bokhari, Murdered in his Labyrinth"?
4. In "A Survey of the Works of Herbert Quain," Quain writes one of his books based on which of the following?
5. In "The Library of Babel," the library can best be described as which of the following?
This section contains 788 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)