|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Grandpa do at the end of his public announcement about his wedding to Miss Love?
2. What did Granny see in her room before she died?
3. What is Will's last name?
4. What musical instrument does Love play well?
5. What is the rumor about why Love did not marry her ex-fiancé?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mary respond when she hears that her father is getting remarried?
2. Why did the men and women in Cold Sassy like Love before her marriage to Grandpa Blakeslee?
3. Why has Lightfoot come to live in Cold Sassy?
4. What ended the romantic relationship between Granny and Grandpa Blakeslee?
5. Why do the people in Cold Sassy think Love did not marry her ex-fiancé?
6. What does Will do on the day he decides to end his period of mourning for Granny?
7. Why does Love tell Will she married Grandpa when she did?
8. What does Hoyt tell Mary when he comes home from work at the beginning of the book?
9. Why does Grandpa tell Will he is getting a horse for Love?
10. What do the boys eat while they are camping, and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many different characters in this book are persuaded to do things that they would not have done of their own accord. What are some of these instances, and how does persuasion affect the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Diversity is a major theme in this book as many different lifestyles and ranks in society are involved. How is this theme shown in this book, and why do you think the author feels it is so important?
Essay Topic 3
Power and greed are two common topics in this book that are shown in response to Love and Grandpa's relationship. Where do they appear, and how do they differ in their manifestations?
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)