|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Will decide to do the day after he escapes the train on the trestle?
2. What does Will say was different and interesting about Granny's death?
3. What occupation does Will hope to hold when he gets older?
4. Where does Grandpa keep all of the important family records?
5. Who warns Will that the train is coming while he is on the trestle?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when the fancy man comes to visit Love?
2. Why has Lightfoot come to live in Cold Sassy?
3. What ended the romantic relationship between Granny and Grandpa Blakeslee?
4. What does Will do on the day he decides to end his period of mourning for Granny?
5. Why do the people in Cold Sassy think Love did not marry her ex-fiancé?
6. What does Grandpa say to the crowd after he returns from his wedding to Love?
7. Why does Grandpa tell Will he is getting a horse for Love?
8. Why does Grandpa not like going to church?
9. Why did the men and women in Cold Sassy like Love before her marriage to Grandpa Blakeslee?
10. What does Will offer to do when he hears rumors of Love, and what does she tell him to do instead?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Will and Grandpa are two very similar people, and yet they have some very notable and important differences. Using the text for support, write a compare/contrast essay about these two characters.
Essay Topic 2
Belonging and security are two themes present in this book--especially as they relate to new possessions. Where do these themes appear, and which characters are most motivated by them?
Essay Topic 3
What does Will think is the difference between mourning and being in mourning, and how does this idea change his opinion of some of the people in his family?
This section contains 773 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)