|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Inman dream about in the chapter, A Vow to Bear?
2. Who does Inman meet as he comes to the end of his map in the chapter, The Doing of It?
3. What does Ruby send Ada out to get when Stobrod wakes them with his coughing in the middle of the night?
4. What does Inman offer to do for a grief stricken mother in the chapter, A Vow to Bear?
5. What does Inman read to Ada while she makes dinner after his arrival?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who helps Inman with his injuries?
2. Why are things awkward between Inman and Ada at first? How does this begin to change?
3. What do Ada and Ruby find when they come to Stobrod's camp?
4. Who or what does Ruby catch in her trap in the cornfield?
5. Who once lived in the village that Ruby and Ada have brought Stobrod to?
6. Who do Ruby, Ada, Stobrod, and Inman run into on their way to Black Cove?
7. How does Inman end up at the home of a war widow?
8. Who visits Black Cove while Ruby is in town trading apple cider for beef?
9. Who comes across Stobrod and Pangle, asking them questions before lining them up in front of a tree and shooting them?
10. What does Inman do in exchange for a hot meal from a grief stricken mother?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Inman and Ada barely know one another before Inman goes to war, but Inman is deeply in love with Ada. Discuss how courtship was different in the time period in which this novel takes place. Would a modern woman have waited for a man like Inman return from war like Ada does? Would a modern woman fall in love with a man with such limited contact? Would a modern man imagine a lifetime with a woman he knew such a short time? Did the war affect the affection these two people felt for one another? In what way?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the Civil War. Why did the author chose to set his novel against the backdrop of the Civil War? How did the war affect the people of the United States during the fighting? How did the fighting affect the soldiers? How is this reflected in the character of Inman? How is it reflected in Ada? In Ruby?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss slavery. What is slavery? Was the Civil War about slavery? In what way? How is slavery represented in this novel? What do the main characters think of slavery? Did any of them own slaves? How did slavery affect their lives? How did the war affect their lives? How do the two things compare as far as their impact on the characters?
This section contains 888 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)