|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Ada and Ruby go for the night as snow begins to threaten?
2. What do most Christians consider the fiddle, refer to it as?
3. How do Ruby and Ada dress as they set out to find and bury the bodies of Stobrod and Pangle?
4. What is taken from Sara's home during the visit by the men who come to Sara's while Inman is still asleep in her bed?
5. What reason does Stobrod give for wanting to live at Black Cove?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Inman learn about his new companion that leads him to a conclusion about his own future?
2. How does Inman end up at the home of a war widow?
3. What do Ada and Ruby find when they come to Stobrod's camp?
4. Who do Ruby, Ada, Stobrod, and Inman run into on their way to Black Cove?
5. What does Inman find when he finally reaches Black Cove?
6. What does Stobrod tell Ruby and Ada to attempt to prove that he has changed?
7. What does Inman do in exchange for a hot meal from a grief stricken mother?
8. What does Stobrod finally confess he wants from Ruby?
9. What animal does Inman dream about and later feel responsible for killing?
10. Who or what does Ruby catch in her trap in the cornfield?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss character growth. What is character growth? How is character growth represented in the novel's plot? Which characters show growth in this novel? How? Does Ada show character growth? Who helps Ada to grow? How does this growth affect he people around Ada? What about Ruby and Stobrod? Do they show growth? How?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the Trail of Tears. What was the Trail of Tears? How does the Trail of Tears compare to the actions of the Home Guard? How did the Trail of Tears affect the Indians? How did it affect Inman and other character's sympathetic to the Indians? Why does the author mention the Trail of Tears repeatedly in this novel?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Stobrod? How is Stobrod related to Ruby? Why does Ruby show hostility toward Stobrod? Does Stobrod deserve this hostility? Why or why not? How does Stobrod change from before he goes to war to when he returns? Does Ruby trust this change? Why or why not? What does Ada think of Stobrod's character? Does Ada like him? Does Ada's reaction affect Ruby in any way? How?
This section contains 916 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)