|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Inman offer to do for a grief stricken mother in the chapter, A Vow to Bear?
2. What does Inman discover as he stops to fill a canteen in the chapter, A Vow to Bear?
3. What happens to the mother bear that is attempting to protect her cub from Inman?
4. What map does Inman follow on the next leg of his journey in the chapter, The Doing of It?
5. What does Inman learn about this new person that leaves him feeling as though solitude might not be the answer?
Short Essay Questions
1. What animal does Inman dream about and later feel responsible for killing?
2. Who attacks Sara's home while Inman is there?
3. What does Inman do in exchange for a hot meal from a grief stricken mother?
4. Why are things awkward between Inman and Ada at first? How does this begin to change?
5. What does Inman learn about his new companion that leads him to a conclusion about his own future?
6. How does Ada react when she first sees Inman? Does Ada react as Inman imagined she would?
7. What decision does Inman make the following morning about his future?
8. What does Stobrod tell Ruby and Ada to attempt to prove that he has changed?
9. Who do Ruby, Ada, Stobrod, and Inman run into on their way to Black Cove?
10. What does Inman find when he finally reaches Black Cove?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was Ada's relationship with her father like? How is it different from Ruby's relationship with her own father? How is it similar? Did Ada's relationship with her father affect her personality? If so, how? Was Ada's relationship with her father harmful? In what way? How could Ada's life have been different if her father had been different?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Ruby? What kind of education does Ruby have? Where does Ruby come from? How are Ruby and Ada similar? How are they different? Why does Ruby come to live at Black Cove? What does Ruby want to do there? What does Ruby do there? How does Ruby impact Ada's life? Is this for the better? How?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Ruby dislike Stobrod? Does Ruby have good reason to dislike her father? What does Ruby blame her father for? Was Stobrod ever abusive toward Ruby? Did Stobrod neglect his daughter? If so, why? Why does Ruby refuse to allow Stobrod around? Is this a punishment of sort? How does Ruby feel when Stobrod is shot? Does this change Ruby's relationship with her father? Why or why not?
This section contains 966 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)