|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ruby react to Inman's eventual arrival?
2. What happens to the mother bear that is attempting to protect her cub from Inman?
3. How did this person get his nickname?
4. What causes one of these men to believe Stobrod and Pangle are holy men?
5. Who rides up and begins asking Strobrod and Pangle questions?
Short Essay Questions
1. What decision does Inman make the following morning about his future?
2. What does Inman learn about his new companion that leads him to a conclusion about his own future?
3. Who comes across Stobrod and Pangle, asking them questions before lining them up in front of a tree and shooting them?
4. What does Inman do in exchange for a hot meal from a grief stricken mother?
5. What does Inman find when he finally reaches Black Cove?
6. What has caused an illness in Stobrod and his companions?
7. What do Ada and Ruby find when they come to Stobrod's camp?
8. Who helps Inman with his injuries?
9. Who attacks Sara's home while Inman is there?
10. How does Inman end up at the home of a war widow?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Ruby? What kind of education does Ruby have? Where does Ruby come from? How are Ruby and Ada similar? How are they different? Why does Ruby come to live at Black Cove? What does Ruby want to do there? What does Ruby do there? How does Ruby impact Ada's life? Is this for the better? How?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss slavery. What is slavery? Was the Civil War about slavery? In what way? How is slavery represented in this novel? What do the main characters think of slavery? Did any of them own slaves? How did slavery affect their lives? How did the war affect their lives? How do the two things compare as far as their impact on the characters?
Essay Topic 3
Homecoming is a theme of the novel. Why does Inman want to return home? What is he hoping to come home to? How does Inman see the rest of his life playing out? Why does Inman decide to return home early from the war even though he will be considered a deserter? What does Inman's actions say about his emotional health? What do Inman's actions say about his feelings regarding the war?
This section contains 892 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)