|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the chapter, A Satisfied Mind, what does Ruby take into town to trade for beef?
2. What does Inman learn about this new person that leaves him feeling as though solitude might not be the answer?
3. How did this person get his nickname?
4. What does Ruby do with the trapped animal from the cornfield?
5. What does Inman hope Ada's reaction will be when she sees him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Inman do in exchange for a hot meal from a grief stricken mother?
2. Who attacks Sara's home while Inman is there?
3. Why are things awkward between Inman and Ada at first? How does this begin to change?
4. What does Stobrod tell Ruby and Ada to attempt to prove that he has changed?
5. Who once lived in the village that Ruby and Ada have brought Stobrod to?
6. How does Inman end up at the home of a war widow?
7. What has caused an illness in Stobrod and his companions?
8. Who do Ruby, Ada, Stobrod, and Inman run into on their way to Black Cove?
9. Who tells Ruby and Ada about the shooting of Pangle and Stobrod? How did this witness survive?
10. What do Ada and Ruby find when they come to Stobrod's camp?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss slavery. What is slavery? Was the Civil War about slavery? In what way? How is slavery represented in this novel? What do the main characters think of slavery? Did any of them own slaves? How did slavery affect their lives? How did the war affect their lives? How do the two things compare as far as their impact on the characters?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Stobrod begin caring for the simple-minded man who joins the deserters? What does Stobrod hope to gain from this friendship? How does this friendship between her father and the simple man affect Ruby? What does this friendship say about Stobrod's character? Does this friendship show a change in Stobrod's character? How?
Essay Topic 3
Inman and Ada barely know one another before Inman goes to war, but Inman is deeply in love with Ada. Discuss how courtship was different in the time period in which this novel takes place. Would a modern woman have waited for a man like Inman return from war like Ada does? Would a modern woman fall in love with a man with such limited contact? Would a modern man imagine a lifetime with a woman he knew such a short time? Did the war affect the affection these two people felt for one another? In what way?
This section contains 987 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)