|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What instrument does Ada and Ruby's guest play?
2. How does Inman attempt to find Ada?
3. How do Ruby and Ada dress as they set out to find and bury the bodies of Stobrod and Pangle?
4. What does Ruby send Ada out to get when Stobrod wakes them with his coughing in the middle of the night?
5. What does Ada hear that causes her to return to Inman?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Inman learn about his new companion that leads him to a conclusion about his own future?
2. Who once lived in the village that Ruby and Ada have brought Stobrod to?
3. What decision does Inman make the following morning about his future?
4. What has caused an illness in Stobrod and his companions?
5. Who tells Ruby and Ada about the shooting of Pangle and Stobrod? How did this witness survive?
6. Who helps Inman with his injuries?
7. What do Ada and Ruby find when they come to Stobrod's camp?
8. What does Inman do in exchange for a hot meal from a grief stricken mother?
9. What does Inman find when he finally reaches Black Cove?
10. Why are things awkward between Inman and Ada at first? How does this begin to change?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Ruby? What kind of education does Ruby have? Where does Ruby come from? How are Ruby and Ada similar? How are they different? Why does Ruby come to live at Black Cove? What does Ruby want to do there? What does Ruby do there? How does Ruby impact Ada's life? Is this for the better? How?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss setting. What is significant about Cold Mountain? Why did the author chose to set his novel in this place? How do the lives of the people indigent to this area affect the plot? There are a lot of Indian legends in this area. How do those legends affect the developing plot? How would the novel be different without these legends?
Essay Topic 3
Inman and Ada barely know one another before Inman goes to war, but Inman is deeply in love with Ada. Discuss how courtship was different in the time period in which this novel takes place. Would a modern woman have waited for a man like Inman return from war like Ada does? Would a modern woman fall in love with a man with such limited contact? Would a modern man imagine a lifetime with a woman he knew such a short time? Did the war affect the affection these two people felt for one another? In what way?
This section contains 876 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)