|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ada hear that causes her to return to Inman?
2. What does Inman do to his companion's horse upon meeting up with another group of men?
3. Where do Ada and Ruby go for the night as snow begins to threaten?
4. Who comes to visit while Ada is at Black Cove alone in the chapter, A Satisfied Mind?
5. How does Inman attempt to find Ada?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ada react when she first sees Inman? Does Ada react as Inman imagined she would?
2. Who tells Ruby and Ada about the shooting of Pangle and Stobrod? How did this witness survive?
3. Who visits Black Cove while Ruby is in town trading apple cider for beef?
4. What has caused an illness in Stobrod and his companions?
5. Who or what does Ruby catch in her trap in the cornfield?
6. What animal does Inman dream about and later feel responsible for killing?
7. What decision does Inman make the following morning about his future?
8. Who attacks Sara's home while Inman is there?
9. Who once lived in the village that Ruby and Ada have brought Stobrod to?
10. What does Inman find when he finally reaches Black Cove?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Ruby dislike Stobrod? Does Ruby have good reason to dislike her father? What does Ruby blame her father for? Was Stobrod ever abusive toward Ruby? Did Stobrod neglect his daughter? If so, why? Why does Ruby refuse to allow Stobrod around? Is this a punishment of sort? How does Ruby feel when Stobrod is shot? Does this change Ruby's relationship with her father? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the Trail of Tears. What was the Trail of Tears? How does the Trail of Tears compare to the actions of the Home Guard? How did the Trail of Tears affect the Indians? How did it affect Inman and other character's sympathetic to the Indians? Why does the author mention the Trail of Tears repeatedly in this novel?
Essay Topic 3
Inman and Ada barely know one another before Inman goes to war, but Inman is deeply in love with Ada. Discuss how courtship was different in the time period in which this novel takes place. Would a modern woman have waited for a man like Inman return from war like Ada does? Would a modern woman fall in love with a man with such limited contact? Would a modern man imagine a lifetime with a woman he knew such a short time? Did the war affect the affection these two people felt for one another? In what way?
This section contains 828 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)