|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the chapter, Naught and Grief, who has joined Stobrod and Pangle?
2. How did this person get his nickname?
3. In the chapter, A Satisfied Mind, what does Ruby take into town to trade for beef?
4. What noise attracts Inman to Ada and Ruby's camp?
5. What wish does Inman make when he lies down to sleep in the chapter, A Vow to Bear?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Ada and Ruby find when they come to Stobrod's camp?
2. Who visits Black Cove while Ruby is in town trading apple cider for beef?
3. Who helps Inman with his injuries?
4. What does Inman find when he finally reaches Black Cove?
5. Who tells Ruby and Ada about the shooting of Pangle and Stobrod? How did this witness survive?
6. Who once lived in the village that Ruby and Ada have brought Stobrod to?
7. What does Inman learn about his new companion that leads him to a conclusion about his own future?
8. What does Stobrod tell Ruby and Ada to attempt to prove that he has changed?
9. How does Inman end up at the home of a war widow?
10. Who do Ruby, Ada, Stobrod, and Inman run into on their way to Black Cove?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Ada? Where has Ada come from? What kind of education does Ada have? Why? Is Ada's education typical of women who live in Cold Mountain? Why does Ada live in Cold Mountain? Why does Ada refuse to leave Cold Mountain when her father dies? How does Ada care for herself? Why does Ada not know how to cook?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Ruby dislike Stobrod? Does Ruby have good reason to dislike her father? What does Ruby blame her father for? Was Stobrod ever abusive toward Ruby? Did Stobrod neglect his daughter? If so, why? Why does Ruby refuse to allow Stobrod around? Is this a punishment of sort? How does Ruby feel when Stobrod is shot? Does this change Ruby's relationship with her father? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss slavery. What is slavery? Was the Civil War about slavery? In what way? How is slavery represented in this novel? What do the main characters think of slavery? Did any of them own slaves? How did slavery affect their lives? How did the war affect their lives? How do the two things compare as far as their impact on the characters?
This section contains 867 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)