|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Ruby and Ada spend the night as they set out to find Stobrod and Pangle?
2. What does Inman offer to do for a grief stricken mother in the chapter, A Vow to Bear?
3. Why does Inman decide to attack the approaching group of men?
4. What does Inman do to his companion's horse upon meeting up with another group of men?
5. What is the first thing Inman does when he finally finds Ada?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Ada and Ruby find when they come to Stobrod's camp?
2. Who or what does Ruby catch in her trap in the cornfield?
3. What decision does Inman make the following morning about his future?
4. How does Inman end up at the home of a war widow?
5. Why are things awkward between Inman and Ada at first? How does this begin to change?
6. How does Ada react when she first sees Inman? Does Ada react as Inman imagined she would?
7. What does Stobrod tell Ruby and Ada to attempt to prove that he has changed?
8. Who once lived in the village that Ruby and Ada have brought Stobrod to?
9. What does Stobrod finally confess he wants from Ruby?
10. What has caused an illness in Stobrod and his companions?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Stobrod? How is Stobrod related to Ruby? Why does Ruby show hostility toward Stobrod? Does Stobrod deserve this hostility? Why or why not? How does Stobrod change from before he goes to war to when he returns? Does Ruby trust this change? Why or why not? What does Ada think of Stobrod's character? Does Ada like him? Does Ada's reaction affect Ruby in any way? How?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the Civil War. Why did the author chose to set his novel against the backdrop of the Civil War? How did the war affect the people of the United States during the fighting? How did the fighting affect the soldiers? How is this reflected in the character of Inman? How is it reflected in Ada? In Ruby?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss morality. Why does Inman leave the military hospital without permission? Is this against the law? How does this reflect Inman's belief in the war? Should a soldier be forced to fight a war he does not believe in? Why or why not? Should Inman be forced to go back to the war? Should Inman be killed for deserting? Why or why not?
This section contains 903 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)