|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ada tell Inman about her relationship with Ruby?
2. Why has Inman begun to fast as he reaches Cold Mountain?
3. What do most Christians consider the fiddle, refer to it as?
4. With whom does Inman leave the camp?
5. What does the leader of these men order be done with Stobrod and Pangle after they get the answers they needed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Ada and Ruby find when they come to Stobrod's camp?
2. What does Inman learn about his new companion that leads him to a conclusion about his own future?
3. Why are things awkward between Inman and Ada at first? How does this begin to change?
4. How does Inman end up at the home of a war widow?
5. What does Stobrod tell Ruby and Ada to attempt to prove that he has changed?
6. Who comes across Stobrod and Pangle, asking them questions before lining them up in front of a tree and shooting them?
7. What does Inman do in exchange for a hot meal from a grief stricken mother?
8. What does Stobrod finally confess he wants from Ruby?
9. What animal does Inman dream about and later feel responsible for killing?
10. What has caused an illness in Stobrod and his companions?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss slavery. What is slavery? Was the Civil War about slavery? In what way? How is slavery represented in this novel? What do the main characters think of slavery? Did any of them own slaves? How did slavery affect their lives? How did the war affect their lives? How do the two things compare as far as their impact on the characters?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the Trail of Tears. What was the Trail of Tears? How does the Trail of Tears compare to the actions of the Home Guard? How did the Trail of Tears affect the Indians? How did it affect Inman and other character's sympathetic to the Indians? Why does the author mention the Trail of Tears repeatedly in this novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss morality. Why does Inman leave the military hospital without permission? Is this against the law? How does this reflect Inman's belief in the war? Should a soldier be forced to fight a war he does not believe in? Why or why not? Should Inman be forced to go back to the war? Should Inman be killed for deserting? Why or why not?
This section contains 934 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)