|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Inman learn about this new person that leaves him feeling as though solitude might not be the answer?
2. What causes Stobrod and his companions to become ill in the chapter Naught and Grief?
3. With whom does Inman leave the camp?
4. Who rides up and begins asking Strobrod and Pangle questions?
5. How did this person get his nickname?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who tells Ruby and Ada about the shooting of Pangle and Stobrod? How did this witness survive?
2. What does Inman learn about his new companion that leads him to a conclusion about his own future?
3. Who once lived in the village that Ruby and Ada have brought Stobrod to?
4. What animal does Inman dream about and later feel responsible for killing?
5. Who do Ruby, Ada, Stobrod, and Inman run into on their way to Black Cove?
6. Who comes across Stobrod and Pangle, asking them questions before lining them up in front of a tree and shooting them?
7. What does Stobrod finally confess he wants from Ruby?
8. How does Ada react when she first sees Inman? Does Ada react as Inman imagined she would?
9. Who or what does Ruby catch in her trap in the cornfield?
10. Who attacks Sara's home while Inman is there?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Inman? Why is Inman in the hospital? What has Inman done to be there? What war is Inman fighting? What side of the war is Inman fighting for? Why? Does Inman believe in the war? Why or why not? Why did Inman enlist? Why does Inman leave the hospital? Is Inman allowed to leave the hospital? What does Inman hope to find at the end of his travels?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss morality. Why does Inman leave the military hospital without permission? Is this against the law? How does this reflect Inman's belief in the war? Should a soldier be forced to fight a war he does not believe in? Why or why not? Should Inman be forced to go back to the war? Should Inman be killed for deserting? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the Greek translation. Why does Inman take this translation after the translator dies? What do these translations mean to Inman? What does Inman plan to do with them after he finds Ada? Does Inman ever get the chance to work on these translations? What is the coverless book Inman carries with him through his travels? Why does Inman read this book? What does this book teach him?
This section contains 876 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)