|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tells Ruby and Ada about the shooting of Stobrod and Pangle?
2. How do Ruby and Ada dress as they set out to find and bury the bodies of Stobrod and Pangle?
3. What happens to the men who steal from Sara's home?
4. Why does Inman decide to attack the approaching group of men?
5. What does Inman read to Ada while she makes dinner after his arrival?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Ada and Ruby find when they come to Stobrod's camp?
2. Who comes across Stobrod and Pangle, asking them questions before lining them up in front of a tree and shooting them?
3. What decision does Inman make the following morning about his future?
4. Why are things awkward between Inman and Ada at first? How does this begin to change?
5. Who or what does Ruby catch in her trap in the cornfield?
6. What has caused an illness in Stobrod and his companions?
7. What does Stobrod tell Ruby and Ada to attempt to prove that he has changed?
8. How does Ada react when she first sees Inman? Does Ada react as Inman imagined she would?
9. How does Inman end up at the home of a war widow?
10. Who tells Ruby and Ada about the shooting of Pangle and Stobrod? How did this witness survive?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Ruby dislike Stobrod? Does Ruby have good reason to dislike her father? What does Ruby blame her father for? Was Stobrod ever abusive toward Ruby? Did Stobrod neglect his daughter? If so, why? Why does Ruby refuse to allow Stobrod around? Is this a punishment of sort? How does Ruby feel when Stobrod is shot? Does this change Ruby's relationship with her father? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the Greek translation. Why does Inman take this translation after the translator dies? What do these translations mean to Inman? What does Inman plan to do with them after he finds Ada? Does Inman ever get the chance to work on these translations? What is the coverless book Inman carries with him through his travels? Why does Inman read this book? What does this book teach him?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the Civil War. Why did the author chose to set his novel against the backdrop of the Civil War? How did the war affect the people of the United States during the fighting? How did the fighting affect the soldiers? How is this reflected in the character of Inman? How is it reflected in Ada? In Ruby?
This section contains 939 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)