|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What instrument does Ada and Ruby's guest play?
2. How do Ruby and Ada dress as they set out to find and bury the bodies of Stobrod and Pangle?
3. What map does Inman follow on the next leg of his journey in the chapter, The Doing of It?
4. How did this person come to compose his own music?
5. What causes Stobrod and his companions to become ill in the chapter Naught and Grief?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Stobrod tell Ruby and Ada to attempt to prove that he has changed?
2. Who do Ruby, Ada, Stobrod, and Inman run into on their way to Black Cove?
3. Why are things awkward between Inman and Ada at first? How does this begin to change?
4. Who tells Ruby and Ada about the shooting of Pangle and Stobrod? How did this witness survive?
5. How does Inman end up at the home of a war widow?
6. Who comes across Stobrod and Pangle, asking them questions before lining them up in front of a tree and shooting them?
7. Who visits Black Cove while Ruby is in town trading apple cider for beef?
8. What does Stobrod finally confess he wants from Ruby?
9. Who or what does Ruby catch in her trap in the cornfield?
10. Who helps Inman with his injuries?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the Civil War. Why did the author chose to set his novel against the backdrop of the Civil War? How did the war affect the people of the United States during the fighting? How did the fighting affect the soldiers? How is this reflected in the character of Inman? How is it reflected in Ada? In Ruby?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss character growth. What is character growth? How is character growth represented in the novel's plot? Which characters show growth in this novel? How? Does Ada show character growth? Who helps Ada to grow? How does this growth affect he people around Ada? What about Ruby and Stobrod? Do they show growth? How?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Ruby? What kind of education does Ruby have? Where does Ruby come from? How are Ruby and Ada similar? How are they different? Why does Ruby come to live at Black Cove? What does Ruby want to do there? What does Ruby do there? How does Ruby impact Ada's life? Is this for the better? How?
This section contains 885 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)