|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the farmer who invites Inman and Veasey to spend the night at his farm after they help him remove a dead bull from the river?
2. Where are the guests who visit Black Cove going?
3. What does Inman do to help Laura?
4. Why did Ada's father choose Cold Mountain over a spa or other appropriate situation?
5. What does the blind man sell outside the hospital?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the main topic of conversation when Ada and Ruby visit Monroe's friend, Mrs. McKennet?
2. Who is Balis? What manuscript is he working on?
3. What does Inman do with a saw he and Veasey find?
4. What happened to Ruby when she was only four?
5. Who joins Inman on his journey in the chapter, Exile and Brute Wandering?
6. What does Ruby instruct Ada to create?
7. What story does Ada read to Ruby? Which character reminds Ruby of her father?
8. Why does Ruby put a trap in the corn field? Why does Ada instruct her to pad the teeth on the trap?
9. What surprises Ada about the circumstances of her conception and birth?
10. When Inman stops to make corn mush, what does he smell that leads him further down the river?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the Home Guard. What is the purpose of the Home Guard? Is Inman afraid of the Home Guard? Should Inman be afraid of the Home Guard? Why does Junior sell Inman to the Home Guard? What has Inman done to attract the attention of the Home Guard? What did Veasey do to deserve to be arrested by the Home Guard? Did the Home Guard have the right to shot their prisoners, including Veasey? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Death is a theme of the novel. Why is death a theme of the novel? Why is Monroe obsessed with death? Is Monroe obsessed with his own death, or the death's of other people? How did the death of Monroe's wife affect his feelings about death? Is Inman obsessed with death? Why is Inman convinced every day will be his last?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss morality. Why does Inman leave the military hospital without permission? Is this against the law? How does this reflect Inman's belief in the war? Should a soldier be forced to fight a war he does not believe in? Why or why not? Should Inman be forced to go back to the war? Should Inman be killed for deserting? Why or why not?
This section contains 865 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)