|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Inman walk into town?
2. Who attacks Inman as he leaves the area where the settlement was?
3. What type of saw do Inman and Veasey find?
4. What crime does this farmer believe his wife has committed?
5. Where does Ruby live while helping Ada at Black Cove?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Ada's father doing when he dies?
2. Why have Ada and her father moved to Black Cove?
3. In what city was Ada raised and educated?
4. Who joins Inman on his journey in the chapter, Exile and Brute Wandering?
5. To whom does Junior sell Inman and Veasey for $5 a head?
6. Why is Inman in a military hospital?
7. What is the main topic of conversation when Ada and Ruby visit Monroe's friend, Mrs. McKennet?
8. What happens when Inman attempts to cross a river using the canoe of a young Indian woman?
9. To whom does Inman send a letter shortly before leaving the hospital?
10. Who helps Ada after the death of her father?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the Trail of Tears. What was the Trail of Tears? How does the Trail of Tears compare to the actions of the Home Guard? How did the Trail of Tears affect the Indians? How did it affect Inman and other character's sympathetic to the Indians? Why does the author mention the Trail of Tears repeatedly in this novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss setting. What is significant about Cold Mountain? Why did the author chose to set his novel in this place? How do the lives of the people indigent to this area affect the plot? There are a lot of Indian legends in this area. How do those legends affect the developing plot? How would the novel be different without these legends?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the Civil War. Why did the author chose to set his novel against the backdrop of the Civil War? How did the war affect the people of the United States during the fighting? How did the fighting affect the soldiers? How is this reflected in the character of Inman? How is it reflected in Ada? In Ruby?
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)