|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Inman learn this spell?
2. What side of the war does Inman fight on?
3. As Inman continues his journey, who does he come across who helps him?
4. Where was Stobrod the last time Ruby heard of him?
5. What does Ruby suggest Ada sell to generate some money to help them survive the winter?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who comes to the scene Ada and Ruby are watching?
2. Who is Odell and what story does he tell Inman?
3. Why does Inman seek out the blind man and speak to him about the war and his feelings on being born without eyes?
4. Why do three men attack Inman outside a settlement where he stops to get supplies?
5. Who is Balis? What manuscript is he working on?
6. What did Inman find on the battlefield that he kept hidden throughout his medical ordeal?
7. What surprises Ada about the circumstances of her conception and birth?
8. To whom does Junior sell Inman and Veasey for $5 a head?
9. Who helps Ada after the death of her father?
10. When Inman stops to make corn mush, what does he smell that leads him further down the river?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss morality. Veasey is a preacher, but he appears to have no morals when it comes to sex and women. Why does Veasey begin a relationship with Laura when he is engaged to another woman? Why does Veasey want to kill Laura? Why does Inman not allow this murder? Why does Veasey later get into a fight with a prostitute over money? What do these actions say about Veasey's morals?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Inman? Why is Inman in the hospital? What has Inman done to be there? What war is Inman fighting? What side of the war is Inman fighting for? Why? Does Inman believe in the war? Why or why not? Why did Inman enlist? Why does Inman leave the hospital? Is Inman allowed to leave the hospital? What does Inman hope to find at the end of his travels?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the Home Guard. What is the purpose of the Home Guard? Is Inman afraid of the Home Guard? Should Inman be afraid of the Home Guard? Why does Junior sell Inman to the Home Guard? What has Inman done to attract the attention of the Home Guard? What did Veasey do to deserve to be arrested by the Home Guard? Did the Home Guard have the right to shot their prisoners, including Veasey? Why or why not?
This section contains 821 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)