|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ada decide to sell in order to generate some money to help them through winter?
2. Who cuts the face of Inman's companion for haggling too much over price?
3. What does Inman do to help Laura?
4. What does the blind man sell outside the hospital?
5. What does this person who joins Inman in the chapter, Exile and Brute Wandering, tell Inman about what happened to him after their last meeting?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who helps Ada after the death of her father?
2. What is the main topic of conversation when Ada and Ruby visit Monroe's friend, Mrs. McKennet?
3. What surprises Ada about the circumstances of her conception and birth?
4. Who or what does Ruby catch in her trap in the cornfield?
5. What does Inman learn happened to the preacher and his lover?
6. What does Inman find when he finally reaches Black Cove?
7. Who tells Ruby and Ada about the shooting of Pangle and Stobrod? How did this witness survive?
8. What group of people stop at Black Cove on their way to Camden, South Carolina?
9. Who does Ada think of as she watches the piano moved out of the house?
10. To whom does Inman send a letter shortly before leaving the hospital?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss morality. Why does Inman leave the military hospital without permission? Is this against the law? How does this reflect Inman's belief in the war? Should a soldier be forced to fight a war he does not believe in? Why or why not? Should Inman be forced to go back to the war? Should Inman be killed for deserting? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Stobrod? How is Stobrod related to Ruby? Why does Ruby show hostility toward Stobrod? Does Stobrod deserve this hostility? Why or why not? How does Stobrod change from before he goes to war to when he returns? Does Ruby trust this change? Why or why not? What does Ada think of Stobrod's character? Does Ada like him? Does Ada's reaction affect Ruby in any way? How?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the Trail of Tears. What was the Trail of Tears? How does the Trail of Tears compare to the actions of the Home Guard? How did the Trail of Tears affect the Indians? How did it affect Inman and other character's sympathetic to the Indians? Why does the author mention the Trail of Tears repeatedly in this novel?
This section contains 1,995 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)