|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At whose house did Ada attend her final party in Charleston?
2. What is the name of the spell Inman speaks after the fight he is forced into outside the settlement?
3. Who tells Ada at a Christmas party that she should marry Inman?
4. Who does Inman dream of as he sleeps the night after meeting the Gypsies?
5. What animal does Stobrod claim is Ruby's true father?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Inman learn happened to the preacher and his lover?
2. What does Junior do when he finds Inman in his wife's arms?
3. What happened to Ruby when she was only four?
4. Why is Inman in a military hospital?
5. What does Ruby believe is a waste of time?
6. What story does Ada read to Ruby? Which character reminds Ruby of her father?
7. What does Ada find in the basement? What does Ruby insist they do with it?
8. On her last night in Charleston, Ada went out on the lake with what person? What do they discuss?
9. Who is Odell and what story does he tell Inman?
10. What does Inman do with a saw he and Veasey find?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was Ada's relationship with her father like? How is it different from Ruby's relationship with her own father? How is it similar? Did Ada's relationship with her father affect her personality? If so, how? Was Ada's relationship with her father harmful? In what way? How could Ada's life have been different if her father had been different?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Inman? Why is Inman in the hospital? What has Inman done to be there? What war is Inman fighting? What side of the war is Inman fighting for? Why? Does Inman believe in the war? Why or why not? Why did Inman enlist? Why does Inman leave the hospital? Is Inman allowed to leave the hospital? What does Inman hope to find at the end of his travels?
Essay Topic 3
Homecoming is a theme of the novel. Why does Inman want to return home? What is he hoping to come home to? How does Inman see the rest of his life playing out? Why does Inman decide to return home early from the war even though he will be considered a deserter? What does Inman's actions say about his emotional health? What do Inman's actions say about his feelings regarding the war?
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)