|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the farmer who invites Inman and Veasey to spend the night at his farm after they help him remove a dead bull from the river?
2. How is Teague dressed?
3. Who comes to Black Cove as Ada and Ruby ready the winter garden?
4. What is the purpose of the spell Inman speaks?
5. What happens to Inman after he drinks some fluid Lila gave him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Inman in a military hospital?
2. What group of people stop at Black Cove on their way to Camden, South Carolina?
3. What story does Ada read to Ruby? Which character reminds Ruby of her father?
4. Inman comes across a preacher in the middle of the night. What does Inman stop the preacher from doing?
5. What did Inman find on the battlefield that he kept hidden throughout his medical ordeal?
6. What does Junior do when he finds Inman in his wife's arms?
7. What does Ada find in the basement? What does Ruby insist they do with it?
8. Why have Ada and her father moved to Black Cove?
9. What does Ruby instruct Ada to create?
10. Who does Inman dream about after seeing a dark-haired girl riding a horse?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the Civil War. Why did the author chose to set his novel against the backdrop of the Civil War? How did the war affect the people of the United States during the fighting? How did the fighting affect the soldiers? How is this reflected in the character of Inman? How is it reflected in Ada? In Ruby?
Essay Topic 2
What was Ada's relationship with her father like? How is it different from Ruby's relationship with her own father? How is it similar? Did Ada's relationship with her father affect her personality? If so, how? Was Ada's relationship with her father harmful? In what way? How could Ada's life have been different if her father had been different?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the Greek translation. Why does Inman take this translation after the translator dies? What do these translations mean to Inman? What does Inman plan to do with them after he finds Ada? Does Inman ever get the chance to work on these translations? What is the coverless book Inman carries with him through his travels? Why does Inman read this book? What does this book teach him?
This section contains 778 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)