|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Inman continues his journey, who does he come across who helps him?
2. What crime does this farmer believe his wife has committed?
3. Who is the woman named Laura that Inman meets in the chapter, Life Any Other Thing, a Gift?
4. What caused Ruby to spend the night in the woods when she is only four?
5. Who does Inman write a letter to at the end of the first chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What scene do Ada and Ruby stumble on on their way back to Black Cove?
2. Who is Balis? What manuscript is he working on?
3. What did Inman find on the battlefield that he kept hidden throughout his medical ordeal?
4. What does Junior do when he finds Inman in his wife's arms?
5. What happens when Inman attempts to cross a river using the canoe of a young Indian woman?
6. What does Ruby instruct Ada to create?
7. Who comes to the scene Ada and Ruby are watching?
8. When Inman stops to make corn mush, what does he smell that leads him further down the river?
9. Who attempts to seduce Inman by putting some sort of drug in his drink?
10. What is Ada's father doing when he dies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss setting. What is significant about Cold Mountain? Why did the author chose to set his novel in this place? How do the lives of the people indigent to this area affect the plot? There are a lot of Indian legends in this area. How do those legends affect the developing plot? How would the novel be different without these legends?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Stobrod begin caring for the simple-minded man who joins the deserters? What does Stobrod hope to gain from this friendship? How does this friendship between her father and the simple man affect Ruby? What does this friendship say about Stobrod's character? Does this friendship show a change in Stobrod's character? How?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss morality. Why does Inman leave the military hospital without permission? Is this against the law? How does this reflect Inman's belief in the war? Should a soldier be forced to fight a war he does not believe in? Why or why not? Should Inman be forced to go back to the war? Should Inman be killed for deserting? Why or why not?
This section contains 845 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)