|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What contest do Ada and Ruby have one night in the chapter, In Place of the Truth?
2. What is the name of the farmer who invites Inman and Veasey to spend the night at his farm after they help him remove a dead bull from the river?
3. Why is a group of people drawn to the street underneath the window of a prisoner?
4. Who comes to Black Cove as Ada and Ruby ready the winter garden?
5. What character in the story Ada reads to Ruby does Ruby believe resembles her father?
Short Essay Questions
1. What story does Ada read to Ruby? Which character reminds Ruby of her father?
2. What scene do Ada and Ruby stumble on on their way back to Black Cove?
3. What does Inman do with a saw he and Veasey find?
4. What is the purpose of the spell, To Destroy Life?
5. How does Ada react when she first sees Inman? Does Ada react as Inman imagined she would?
6. To whom does Junior sell Inman and Veasey for $5 a head?
7. Why is Inman in a military hospital?
8. Who attacks Sara's home while Inman is there?
9. What does Ruby believe is a waste of time?
10. Who visits Black Cove while Ruby is in town trading apple cider for beef?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Stobrod begin caring for the simple-minded man who joins the deserters? What does Stobrod hope to gain from this friendship? How does this friendship between her father and the simple man affect Ruby? What does this friendship say about Stobrod's character? Does this friendship show a change in Stobrod's character? How?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Ruby? What kind of education does Ruby have? Where does Ruby come from? How are Ruby and Ada similar? How are they different? Why does Ruby come to live at Black Cove? What does Ruby want to do there? What does Ruby do there? How does Ruby impact Ada's life? Is this for the better? How?
Essay Topic 3
What lesson is Inman repeatedly told to learn? Why? Why do people ask this of Inman? What do they hope he will learn from this lesson? Does Inman learn this lesson? What does this lesson teach Inman?
This section contains 1,869 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)