|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tells Ada at a Christmas party that she should marry Inman?
2. What does the farmer insist Inman do with his wife after catching them in a lover's embrace?
3. Who was Monroe's favorite poet?
4. Who is Claire Duchutes?
5. What caused Ruby to spend the night in the woods when she is only four?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Inman leave money for even as he steals it?
2. What is the purpose of the spell, To Destroy Life?
3. Who comes to the scene Ada and Ruby are watching?
4. Why does Ruby put a trap in the corn field? Why does Ada instruct her to pad the teeth on the trap?
5. Why did Inman decide he would like to meet Ada?
6. What does Junior do when he finds Inman in his wife's arms?
7. Who helps Ada after the death of her father?
8. To whom does Inman send a letter shortly before leaving the hospital?
9. Why does Inman seek out the blind man and speak to him about the war and his feelings on being born without eyes?
10. Why have Ada and her father moved to Black Cove?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the Greek translation. Why does Inman take this translation after the translator dies? What do these translations mean to Inman? What does Inman plan to do with them after he finds Ada? Does Inman ever get the chance to work on these translations? What is the coverless book Inman carries with him through his travels? Why does Inman read this book? What does this book teach him?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Ada? Where has Ada come from? What kind of education does Ada have? Why? Is Ada's education typical of women who live in Cold Mountain? Why does Ada live in Cold Mountain? Why does Ada refuse to leave Cold Mountain when her father dies? How does Ada care for herself? Why does Ada not know how to cook?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Stobrod begin caring for the simple-minded man who joins the deserters? What does Stobrod hope to gain from this friendship? How does this friendship between her father and the simple man affect Ruby? What does this friendship say about Stobrod's character? Does this friendship show a change in Stobrod's character? How?
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)