Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Ada and her father move to Cold Mountain?
2. Who attacks Inman as he leaves the area where the settlement was?
3. What is the name of the spell Inman speaks after the fight he is forced into outside the settlement?
4. Who believes parties are a waste of time and energy?
5. Who is Waldo, mentioned in the chapter Ashes of Roses?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are things awkward between Inman and Ada at first? How does this begin to change?
2. Why is Inman in a military hospital?
3. What is Ada's father doing when he dies?
4. What decision does Inman make the following morning about his future?
5. Who is Odell and what story does he tell Inman?
6. Who does Ada think of as she watches the piano moved out of the house?
7. Who comes to the scene Ada and Ruby are watching?
8. On her last night in Charleston, Ada went out on the lake with what person? What do they discuss?
9. Why does Ruby put a trap in the corn field? Why does Ada instruct her to pad the teeth on the trap?
10. What does Inman learn about his new companion that leads him to a conclusion about his own future?
Discuss slavery. What is slavery? Was the Civil War about slavery? In what way? How is slavery represented in this novel? What do the main characters think of slavery? Did any of them own slaves? How did slavery affect their lives? How did the war affect their lives? How do the two things compare as far as their impact on the characters?
Discuss the Trail of Tears. What was the Trail of Tears? How does the Trail of Tears compare to the actions of the Home Guard? How did the Trail of Tears affect the Indians? How did it affect Inman and other character's sympathetic to the Indians? Why does the author mention the Trail of Tears repeatedly in this novel?
Discuss character growth. What is character growth? How is character growth represented in the novel's plot? Which characters show growth in this novel? How? Does Ada show character growth? Who helps Ada to grow? How does this growth affect he people around Ada? What about Ruby and Stobrod? Do they show growth? How?
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)