|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What book does Inman read while in the hospital?
2. Where does Inman wake in the opening scene of The Shadow of a Crow?
3. What does the blind man sell outside the hospital?
4. What does this person who joins Inman in the chapter, Exile and Brute Wandering, tell Inman about what happened to him after their last meeting?
5. What do Ruby and Ada do when these visitors surprise them at Black Cove while they are preparing the winter garden?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Junior do when he finds Inman in his wife's arms?
2. In what city was Ada raised and educated?
3. What is the main topic of conversation when Ada and Ruby visit Monroe's friend, Mrs. McKennet?
4. Who does Inman dream about after seeing a dark-haired girl riding a horse?
5. Why does Ruby put a trap in the corn field? Why does Ada instruct her to pad the teeth on the trap?
6. Why does Inman seek out the blind man and speak to him about the war and his feelings on being born without eyes?
7. Why does Ada decide to sell her piano?
8. Who helps Ada after the death of her father?
9. What does Ruby instruct Ada to create?
10. What does Inman leave money for even as he steals it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the Trail of Tears. What was the Trail of Tears? How does the Trail of Tears compare to the actions of the Home Guard? How did the Trail of Tears affect the Indians? How did it affect Inman and other character's sympathetic to the Indians? Why does the author mention the Trail of Tears repeatedly in this novel?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Ruby dislike Stobrod? Does Ruby have good reason to dislike her father? What does Ruby blame her father for? Was Stobrod ever abusive toward Ruby? Did Stobrod neglect his daughter? If so, why? Why does Ruby refuse to allow Stobrod around? Is this a punishment of sort? How does Ruby feel when Stobrod is shot? Does this change Ruby's relationship with her father? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Homecoming is a theme of the novel. Why does Inman want to return home? What is he hoping to come home to? How does Inman see the rest of his life playing out? Why does Inman decide to return home early from the war even though he will be considered a deserter? What does Inman's actions say about his emotional health? What do Inman's actions say about his feelings regarding the war?
This section contains 829 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)