|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Veasey believe they should do with the saw?
2. After the death of her father, what does Ada learn about her financial situation?
3. What guards the farms that Inman passes in the flatlands?
4. What does this person who joins Inman in the chapter, Exile and Brute Wandering, tell Inman about what happened to him after their last meeting?
5. What income did Ada and her father live on?
Short Essay Questions
1. What group of people stop at Black Cove on their way to Camden, South Carolina?
2. To whom does Junior sell Inman and Veasey for $5 a head?
3. Why is Inman in a military hospital?
4. Who does Ada think of as she watches the piano moved out of the house?
5. Inman comes across a preacher in the middle of the night. What does Inman stop the preacher from doing?
6. What is the purpose of the spell, To Destroy Life?
7. Why does Ruby put a trap in the corn field? Why does Ada instruct her to pad the teeth on the trap?
8. What happened to Ruby when she was only four?
9. What surprises Ada about the circumstances of her conception and birth?
10. What happens when Inman attempts to cross a river using the canoe of a young Indian woman?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the Home Guard. What is the purpose of the Home Guard? Is Inman afraid of the Home Guard? Should Inman be afraid of the Home Guard? Why does Junior sell Inman to the Home Guard? What has Inman done to attract the attention of the Home Guard? What did Veasey do to deserve to be arrested by the Home Guard? Did the Home Guard have the right to shot their prisoners, including Veasey? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss morality. Why does Inman leave the military hospital without permission? Is this against the law? How does this reflect Inman's belief in the war? Should a soldier be forced to fight a war he does not believe in? Why or why not? Should Inman be forced to go back to the war? Should Inman be killed for deserting? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Inman? Why is Inman in the hospital? What has Inman done to be there? What war is Inman fighting? What side of the war is Inman fighting for? Why? Does Inman believe in the war? Why or why not? Why did Inman enlist? Why does Inman leave the hospital? Is Inman allowed to leave the hospital? What does Inman hope to find at the end of his travels?
This section contains 904 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)