|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Swimmer and why does Inman think about him after reading the news?
2. What happens to Inman after he drinks some fluid Lila gave him?
3. Who is the woman named Laura that Inman meets in the chapter, Life Any Other Thing, a Gift?
4. Why did Ada believe she was the product of a marriage of convenience?
5. As Inman continues his journey, who does he come across who helps him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ruby believe is a waste of time?
2. What is the purpose of the spell, To Destroy Life?
3. What does Inman learn happened to the preacher and his lover?
4. Who joins Inman on his journey in the chapter, Exile and Brute Wandering?
5. Why is Inman in a military hospital?
6. Who attempts to seduce Inman by putting some sort of drug in his drink?
7. What surprises Ada about the circumstances of her conception and birth?
8. What story does Ada read to Ruby? Which character reminds Ruby of her father?
9. On her last night in Charleston, Ada went out on the lake with what person? What do they discuss?
10. Why do three men attack Inman outside a settlement where he stops to get supplies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Stobrod begin caring for the simple-minded man who joins the deserters? What does Stobrod hope to gain from this friendship? How does this friendship between her father and the simple man affect Ruby? What does this friendship say about Stobrod's character? Does this friendship show a change in Stobrod's character? How?
Essay Topic 2
Homecoming is a theme of the novel. Why does Inman want to return home? What is he hoping to come home to? How does Inman see the rest of his life playing out? Why does Inman decide to return home early from the war even though he will be considered a deserter? What does Inman's actions say about his emotional health? What do Inman's actions say about his feelings regarding the war?
Essay Topic 3
Death is a theme of the novel. Why is death a theme of the novel? Why is Monroe obsessed with death? Is Monroe obsessed with his own death, or the death's of other people? How did the death of Monroe's wife affect his feelings about death? Is Inman obsessed with death? Why is Inman convinced every day will be his last?
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)