|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What text is Balis, Inman's neighbor in the hospital, translating into English?
2. What happens to Veasey and Inman after they leave the farmer's home?
3. Where did a man see a black woman placed in a cage and left for the buzzards to torment?
4. What type of saw do Inman and Veasey find?
5. What does the blind man sell outside the hospital?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to Ruby when she was only four?
2. Who helps Ada after the death of her father?
3. Who is Odell and what story does he tell Inman?
4. What surprises Ada about the circumstances of her conception and birth?
5. What is Ada's father doing when he dies?
6. To whom does Junior sell Inman and Veasey for $5 a head?
7. To whom does Inman send a letter shortly before leaving the hospital?
8. Why does Ada decide to sell her piano?
9. What is the purpose of the spell, To Destroy Life?
10. When Inman stops to make corn mush, what does he smell that leads him further down the river?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss morality. Veasey is a preacher, but he appears to have no morals when it comes to sex and women. Why does Veasey begin a relationship with Laura when he is engaged to another woman? Why does Veasey want to kill Laura? Why does Inman not allow this murder? Why does Veasey later get into a fight with a prostitute over money? What do these actions say about Veasey's morals?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss setting. What is significant about Cold Mountain? Why did the author chose to set his novel in this place? How do the lives of the people indigent to this area affect the plot? There are a lot of Indian legends in this area. How do those legends affect the developing plot? How would the novel be different without these legends?
Essay Topic 3
Homecoming is a theme of the novel. Why does Inman want to return home? What is he hoping to come home to? How does Inman see the rest of his life playing out? Why does Inman decide to return home early from the war even though he will be considered a deserter? What does Inman's actions say about his emotional health? What do Inman's actions say about his feelings regarding the war?
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)