Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Ada and her father move to Cold Mountain?
2. Who attacks Inman as he leaves the area where the settlement was?
3. What is the name of the spell Inman speaks after the fight he is forced into outside the settlement?
4. Who believes parties are a waste of time and energy?
5. Who is Waldo, mentioned in the chapter Ashes of Roses?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are things awkward between Inman and Ada at first? How does this begin to change?
2. Why is Inman in a military hospital?
3. What is Ada's father doing when he dies?
4. What decision does Inman make the following morning about his future?
5. Who is Odell and what story does he tell Inman?
6. Who does Ada think of as she watches the piano moved out of the house?
7. Who comes to the scene Ada and Ruby are watching?
8. On her last night in Charleston, Ada went out on the lake with what person? What do they discuss?
9. Why does Ruby put a trap in the corn field? Why does Ada instruct her to pad the teeth on the trap?
10. What does Inman learn about his new companion that leads him to a conclusion about his own future?
Who is Stobrod? How is Stobrod related to Ruby? Why does Ruby show hostility toward Stobrod? Does Stobrod deserve this hostility? Why or why not? How does Stobrod change from before he goes to war to when he returns? Does Ruby trust this change? Why or why not? What does Ada think of Stobrod's character? Does Ada like him? Does Ada's reaction affect Ruby in any way? How?
Discuss character growth. What is character growth? How is character growth represented in the novel's plot? Which characters show growth in this novel? How? Does Ada show character growth? Who helps Ada to grow? How does this growth affect he people around Ada? What about Ruby and Stobrod? Do they show growth? How?
Inman and Ada barely know one another before Inman goes to war, but Inman is deeply in love with Ada. Discuss how courtship was different in the time period in which this novel takes place. Would a modern woman have waited for a man like Inman return from war like Ada does? Would a modern woman fall in love with a man with such limited contact? Would a modern man imagine a lifetime with a woman he knew such a short time? Did the war affect the affection these two people felt for one another? In what way?
This section contains 826 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)