|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Inman do to the farmer who sold him and Veasey?
2. What is Ruby attempting to teach Ada while living at Black Cove?
3. What does Inman do with the saw?
4. Why does Ruby come to Black Cove?
5. What kind of gun does Inman's companion carry?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ada decide to sell her piano?
2. On her last night in Charleston, Ada went out on the lake with what person? What do they discuss?
3. Inman comes across a preacher in the middle of the night. What does Inman stop the preacher from doing?
4. What is the main topic of conversation when Ada and Ruby visit Monroe's friend, Mrs. McKennet?
5. What story does Ada read to Ruby? Which character reminds Ruby of her father?
6. Who is Balis? What manuscript is he working on?
7. To whom does Junior sell Inman and Veasey for $5 a head?
8. In what city was Ada raised and educated?
9. What does Inman leave money for even as he steals it?
10. What does Ruby instruct Ada to create?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss setting. What is significant about Cold Mountain? Why did the author chose to set his novel in this place? How do the lives of the people indigent to this area affect the plot? There are a lot of Indian legends in this area. How do those legends affect the developing plot? How would the novel be different without these legends?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Ruby dislike Stobrod? Does Ruby have good reason to dislike her father? What does Ruby blame her father for? Was Stobrod ever abusive toward Ruby? Did Stobrod neglect his daughter? If so, why? Why does Ruby refuse to allow Stobrod around? Is this a punishment of sort? How does Ruby feel when Stobrod is shot? Does this change Ruby's relationship with her father? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss morality. Why does Inman leave the military hospital without permission? Is this against the law? How does this reflect Inman's belief in the war? Should a soldier be forced to fight a war he does not believe in? Why or why not? Should Inman be forced to go back to the war? Should Inman be killed for deserting? Why or why not?
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)