|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What item did Inman find on a battlefield and hide during his medical ordeal?
2. What does Inman read about in the newspaper while in town?
3. Where was Stobrod the last time Ruby heard of him?
4. What text is Balis, Inman's neighbor in the hospital, translating into English?
5. What does Inman say happened in Petersburg?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Inman decide he would like to meet Ada?
2. Inman comes across a preacher in the middle of the night. What does Inman stop the preacher from doing?
3. When Inman stops to make corn mush, what does he smell that leads him further down the river?
4. What is the purpose of the spell, To Destroy Life?
5. Why does Ada decide to sell her piano?
6. Why does Ruby put a trap in the corn field? Why does Ada instruct her to pad the teeth on the trap?
7. What does Ruby believe is a waste of time?
8. What does Ruby instruct Ada to create?
9. Why is Inman in a military hospital?
10. What did Inman find on the battlefield that he kept hidden throughout his medical ordeal?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss morality. Why does Inman leave the military hospital without permission? Is this against the law? How does this reflect Inman's belief in the war? Should a soldier be forced to fight a war he does not believe in? Why or why not? Should Inman be forced to go back to the war? Should Inman be killed for deserting? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Stobrod? How is Stobrod related to Ruby? Why does Ruby show hostility toward Stobrod? Does Stobrod deserve this hostility? Why or why not? How does Stobrod change from before he goes to war to when he returns? Does Ruby trust this change? Why or why not? What does Ada think of Stobrod's character? Does Ada like him? Does Ada's reaction affect Ruby in any way? How?
Essay Topic 3
Homecoming is a theme of the novel. Why does Inman want to return home? What is he hoping to come home to? How does Inman see the rest of his life playing out? Why does Inman decide to return home early from the war even though he will be considered a deserter? What does Inman's actions say about his emotional health? What do Inman's actions say about his feelings regarding the war?
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)