|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Veasey hit his companion over the head in the chapter Exile and Brute Wandering?
2. What character in the story Ada reads to Ruby does Ruby believe resembles her father?
3. What happens to Veasey and Inman after they leave the farmer's home?
4. Where did a man see a black woman placed in a cage and left for the buzzards to torment?
5. Why does Ada decide not to return to Charleston after her father's death?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who helps Inman with his injuries?
2. Who attempts to seduce Inman by putting some sort of drug in his drink?
3. What decision does Inman make the following morning about his future?
4. Who visits Black Cove while Ruby is in town trading apple cider for beef?
5. How does Ada react when she first sees Inman? Does Ada react as Inman imagined she would?
6. What does Inman do in exchange for a hot meal from a grief stricken mother?
7. Why did Inman decide he would like to meet Ada?
8. What does Inman find when he finally reaches Black Cove?
9. Who is Balis? What manuscript is he working on?
10. Why have Ada and her father moved to Black Cove?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Ruby dislike Stobrod? Does Ruby have good reason to dislike her father? What does Ruby blame her father for? Was Stobrod ever abusive toward Ruby? Did Stobrod neglect his daughter? If so, why? Why does Ruby refuse to allow Stobrod around? Is this a punishment of sort? How does Ruby feel when Stobrod is shot? Does this change Ruby's relationship with her father? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Ruby? What kind of education does Ruby have? Where does Ruby come from? How are Ruby and Ada similar? How are they different? Why does Ruby come to live at Black Cove? What does Ruby want to do there? What does Ruby do there? How does Ruby impact Ada's life? Is this for the better? How?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss slavery. What is slavery? Was the Civil War about slavery? In what way? How is slavery represented in this novel? What do the main characters think of slavery? Did any of them own slaves? How did slavery affect their lives? How did the war affect their lives? How do the two things compare as far as their impact on the characters?
This section contains 1,971 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)