|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What book does Inman read while in the hospital?
2. What does Ruby talk extensively about as she and Ada walk into town in the chapter, Source and Root?
3. Where does Inman wake in the opening scene of The Shadow of a Crow?
4. What does Inman say happened in Petersburg?
5. How does Inman attempt to cross the river?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the main topic of conversation when Ada and Ruby visit Monroe's friend, Mrs. McKennet?
2. Who is Odell and what story does he tell Inman?
3. Who tells Ruby and Ada about the shooting of Pangle and Stobrod? How did this witness survive?
4. Who or what does Ruby catch in her trap in the cornfield?
5. What surprises Ada about the circumstances of her conception and birth?
6. When Inman stops to make corn mush, what does he smell that leads him further down the river?
7. Who helps Ada after the death of her father?
8. Why is Inman in a military hospital?
9. What story does Ada read to Ruby? Which character reminds Ruby of her father?
10. Why does Ruby put a trap in the corn field? Why does Ada instruct her to pad the teeth on the trap?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the Trail of Tears. What was the Trail of Tears? How does the Trail of Tears compare to the actions of the Home Guard? How did the Trail of Tears affect the Indians? How did it affect Inman and other character's sympathetic to the Indians? Why does the author mention the Trail of Tears repeatedly in this novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the Greek translation. Why does Inman take this translation after the translator dies? What do these translations mean to Inman? What does Inman plan to do with them after he finds Ada? Does Inman ever get the chance to work on these translations? What is the coverless book Inman carries with him through his travels? Why does Inman read this book? What does this book teach him?
Essay Topic 3
What lesson is Inman repeatedly told to learn? Why? Why do people ask this of Inman? What do they hope he will learn from this lesson? Does Inman learn this lesson? What does this lesson teach Inman?
This section contains 1,930 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)