|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Ruby suggest came up with the idea of celebrating Thanksgiving?
2. Who attacks Inman as he leaves the area where the settlement was?
3. Where are the guests who visit Black Cove going?
4. What did Ada's father often preach about during church services?
5. What does the blind man sell outside the hospital?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ada decide to sell her piano?
2. What does Inman learn happened to the preacher and his lover?
3. What group of people stop at Black Cove on their way to Camden, South Carolina?
4. What scene do Ada and Ruby stumble on on their way back to Black Cove?
5. What does Ruby instruct Ada to create?
6. What is Ada's father doing when he dies?
7. What does Ruby believe is a waste of time?
8. Why have Ada and her father moved to Black Cove?
9. Why did Inman decide he would like to meet Ada?
10. What is the main topic of conversation when Ada and Ruby visit Monroe's friend, Mrs. McKennet?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Ruby dislike Stobrod? Does Ruby have good reason to dislike her father? What does Ruby blame her father for? Was Stobrod ever abusive toward Ruby? Did Stobrod neglect his daughter? If so, why? Why does Ruby refuse to allow Stobrod around? Is this a punishment of sort? How does Ruby feel when Stobrod is shot? Does this change Ruby's relationship with her father? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Homecoming is a theme of the novel. Why does Inman want to return home? What is he hoping to come home to? How does Inman see the rest of his life playing out? Why does Inman decide to return home early from the war even though he will be considered a deserter? What does Inman's actions say about his emotional health? What do Inman's actions say about his feelings regarding the war?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss setting. What is significant about Cold Mountain? Why did the author chose to set his novel in this place? How do the lives of the people indigent to this area affect the plot? There are a lot of Indian legends in this area. How do those legends affect the developing plot? How would the novel be different without these legends?
This section contains 794 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)