|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ada find in the basement of her house?
2. What is the name of the spell Inman speaks after the fight he is forced into outside the settlement?
3. Why did Ada believe she was the product of a marriage of convenience?
4. Why does Ada find herself sitting in Inman's lap?
5. Why does Inman become upset about Ada's reaction to his story?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Inman leave money for even as he steals it?
2. Who does Inman dream about after seeing a dark-haired girl riding a horse?
3. Why does Ruby put a trap in the corn field? Why does Ada instruct her to pad the teeth on the trap?
4. What does Ruby instruct Ada to create?
5. What happened to Ruby when she was only four?
6. Who is Balis? What manuscript is he working on?
7. Who attempts to seduce Inman by putting some sort of drug in his drink?
8. Why have Ada and her father moved to Black Cove?
9. Why is Inman in a military hospital?
10. What scene do Ada and Ruby stumble on on their way back to Black Cove?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Death is a theme of the novel. Why is death a theme of the novel? Why is Monroe obsessed with death? Is Monroe obsessed with his own death, or the death's of other people? How did the death of Monroe's wife affect his feelings about death? Is Inman obsessed with death? Why is Inman convinced every day will be his last?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss morality. Veasey is a preacher, but he appears to have no morals when it comes to sex and women. Why does Veasey begin a relationship with Laura when he is engaged to another woman? Why does Veasey want to kill Laura? Why does Inman not allow this murder? Why does Veasey later get into a fight with a prostitute over money? What do these actions say about Veasey's morals?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss character growth. What is character growth? How is character growth represented in the novel's plot? Which characters show growth in this novel? How? Does Ada show character growth? Who helps Ada to grow? How does this growth affect he people around Ada? What about Ruby and Stobrod? Do they show growth? How?
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)