|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of gun does Inman's companion carry?
2. How is Teague dressed?
3. What contest do Ada and Ruby have one night in the chapter, In Place of the Truth?
4. Who comes to Ruby's rescue?
5. Who introduced Inman to Ada?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to Ruby when she was only four?
2. What happens when Inman attempts to cross a river using the canoe of a young Indian woman?
3. What is Ada's father doing when he dies?
4. What did Inman find on the battlefield that he kept hidden throughout his medical ordeal?
5. Who helps Ada after the death of her father?
6. On her last night in Charleston, Ada went out on the lake with what person? What do they discuss?
7. What is the main topic of conversation when Ada and Ruby visit Monroe's friend, Mrs. McKennet?
8. What group of people stop at Black Cove on their way to Camden, South Carolina?
9. Who joins Inman on his journey in the chapter, Exile and Brute Wandering?
10. What does Inman do with a saw he and Veasey find?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss character growth. What is character growth? How is character growth represented in the novel's plot? Which characters show growth in this novel? How? Does Ada show character growth? Who helps Ada to grow? How does this growth affect he people around Ada? What about Ruby and Stobrod? Do they show growth? How?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Ada? Where has Ada come from? What kind of education does Ada have? Why? Is Ada's education typical of women who live in Cold Mountain? Why does Ada live in Cold Mountain? Why does Ada refuse to leave Cold Mountain when her father dies? How does Ada care for herself? Why does Ada not know how to cook?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Stobrod? How is Stobrod related to Ruby? Why does Ruby show hostility toward Stobrod? Does Stobrod deserve this hostility? Why or why not? How does Stobrod change from before he goes to war to when he returns? Does Ruby trust this change? Why or why not? What does Ada think of Stobrod's character? Does Ada like him? Does Ada's reaction affect Ruby in any way? How?
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)