|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What side of the war does Inman fight on?
2. What does Ada decide to sell in order to generate some money to help them through winter?
3. How does Inman attempt to cross the river?
4. What is Ada looking for when she goes searching in the basement?
5. After the death of her father, what does Ada learn about her financial situation?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Ada think of as she watches the piano moved out of the house?
2. What did Inman find on the battlefield that he kept hidden throughout his medical ordeal?
3. To whom does Inman send a letter shortly before leaving the hospital?
4. What does Ruby instruct Ada to create?
5. Who is Odell and what story does he tell Inman?
6. What scene do Ada and Ruby stumble on on their way back to Black Cove?
7. What is the purpose of the spell, To Destroy Life?
8. Why does Ruby put a trap in the corn field? Why does Ada instruct her to pad the teeth on the trap?
9. Who helps Ada after the death of her father?
10. What does Junior do when he finds Inman in his wife's arms?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was Ada's relationship with her father like? How is it different from Ruby's relationship with her own father? How is it similar? Did Ada's relationship with her father affect her personality? If so, how? Was Ada's relationship with her father harmful? In what way? How could Ada's life have been different if her father had been different?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss morality. Why does Inman leave the military hospital without permission? Is this against the law? How does this reflect Inman's belief in the war? Should a soldier be forced to fight a war he does not believe in? Why or why not? Should Inman be forced to go back to the war? Should Inman be killed for deserting? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Stobrod begin caring for the simple-minded man who joins the deserters? What does Stobrod hope to gain from this friendship? How does this friendship between her father and the simple man affect Ruby? What does this friendship say about Stobrod's character? Does this friendship show a change in Stobrod's character? How?
This section contains 798 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)