|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What caused Ruby to spend the night in the woods when she is only four?
2. Where did Inman meet Ada for the first time?
3. What woman reminds Inman of Ada?
4. What does Ada use to construct the item Ruby has told her to create?
5. What does Ada find in the basement of her house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Inman find on the battlefield that he kept hidden throughout his medical ordeal?
2. Why is Inman in a military hospital?
3. Who helps Ada after the death of her father?
4. What does Inman do with a saw he and Veasey find?
5. Why do three men attack Inman outside a settlement where he stops to get supplies?
6. To whom does Junior sell Inman and Veasey for $5 a head?
7. What does Ruby instruct Ada to create?
8. Who does Inman dream about after seeing a dark-haired girl riding a horse?
9. On her last night in Charleston, Ada went out on the lake with what person? What do they discuss?
10. What does Inman learn happened to the preacher and his lover?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Stobrod begin caring for the simple-minded man who joins the deserters? What does Stobrod hope to gain from this friendship? How does this friendship between her father and the simple man affect Ruby? What does this friendship say about Stobrod's character? Does this friendship show a change in Stobrod's character? How?
Essay Topic 2
What lesson is Inman repeatedly told to learn? Why? Why do people ask this of Inman? What do they hope he will learn from this lesson? Does Inman learn this lesson? What does this lesson teach Inman?
Essay Topic 3
Homecoming is a theme of the novel. Why does Inman want to return home? What is he hoping to come home to? How does Inman see the rest of his life playing out? Why does Inman decide to return home early from the war even though he will be considered a deserter? What does Inman's actions say about his emotional health? What do Inman's actions say about his feelings regarding the war?
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)