|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of gun does Inman's companion carry?
2. What is Ada looking for when she goes searching in the basement?
3. As Inman continues his journey, who does he come across who helps him?
4. Why does Ruby come to Black Cove?
5. Where is Inman's companion planning on going?
Short Essay Questions
1. What group of people stop at Black Cove on their way to Camden, South Carolina?
2. Who does Inman dream about after seeing a dark-haired girl riding a horse?
3. When Inman stops to make corn mush, what does he smell that leads him further down the river?
4. Why did Inman decide he would like to meet Ada?
5. What did Inman find on the battlefield that he kept hidden throughout his medical ordeal?
6. Who attempts to seduce Inman by putting some sort of drug in his drink?
7. To whom does Junior sell Inman and Veasey for $5 a head?
8. What does Ada find in the basement? What does Ruby insist they do with it?
9. What happened to Ruby when she was only four?
10. What surprises Ada about the circumstances of her conception and birth?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the Home Guard. What is the purpose of the Home Guard? Is Inman afraid of the Home Guard? Should Inman be afraid of the Home Guard? Why does Junior sell Inman to the Home Guard? What has Inman done to attract the attention of the Home Guard? What did Veasey do to deserve to be arrested by the Home Guard? Did the Home Guard have the right to shot their prisoners, including Veasey? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Stobrod? How is Stobrod related to Ruby? Why does Ruby show hostility toward Stobrod? Does Stobrod deserve this hostility? Why or why not? How does Stobrod change from before he goes to war to when he returns? Does Ruby trust this change? Why or why not? What does Ada think of Stobrod's character? Does Ada like him? Does Ada's reaction affect Ruby in any way? How?
Essay Topic 3
Inman and Ada barely know one another before Inman goes to war, but Inman is deeply in love with Ada. Discuss how courtship was different in the time period in which this novel takes place. Would a modern woman have waited for a man like Inman return from war like Ada does? Would a modern woman fall in love with a man with such limited contact? Would a modern man imagine a lifetime with a woman he knew such a short time? Did the war affect the affection these two people felt for one another? In what way?
This section contains 815 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)