|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who introduced Inman to Ada?
2. What does Inman do with the preacher?
3. What is Ada looking for when she goes searching in the basement?
4. What is the topic of conversation when Ruby and Ada visit a friend in the chapter Source and Root?
5. Why did Ada's father choose Cold Mountain over a spa or other appropriate situation?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who comes to the scene Ada and Ruby are watching?
2. What do Ada and Ruby find when they come to Stobrod's camp?
3. What scene do Ada and Ruby stumble on on their way back to Black Cove?
4. What does Ruby believe is a waste of time?
5. What does Inman do in exchange for a hot meal from a grief stricken mother?
6. Why did Inman decide he would like to meet Ada?
7. Who visits Black Cove while Ruby is in town trading apple cider for beef?
8. What does Inman leave money for even as he steals it?
9. Who has Ruby married and had three sons with?
10. Why is Inman in a military hospital?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss morality. Veasey is a preacher, but he appears to have no morals when it comes to sex and women. Why does Veasey begin a relationship with Laura when he is engaged to another woman? Why does Veasey want to kill Laura? Why does Inman not allow this murder? Why does Veasey later get into a fight with a prostitute over money? What do these actions say about Veasey's morals?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Stobrod? How is Stobrod related to Ruby? Why does Ruby show hostility toward Stobrod? Does Stobrod deserve this hostility? Why or why not? How does Stobrod change from before he goes to war to when he returns? Does Ruby trust this change? Why or why not? What does Ada think of Stobrod's character? Does Ada like him? Does Ada's reaction affect Ruby in any way? How?
Essay Topic 3
What lesson is Inman repeatedly told to learn? Why? Why do people ask this of Inman? What do they hope he will learn from this lesson? Does Inman learn this lesson? What does this lesson teach Inman?
This section contains 1,900 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)