Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ada decide to sell in order to generate some money to help them through winter?
2. What vision does Ada see when Esco encourages her to look backwards down a well in a mirror?
3. Why does Ruby come to Black Cove?
4. What does the blind man answer when Inman asks if he would like to be able to see for ten minutes?
5. Why does a preacher believe Inman means to kill him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Inman learn about his new companion that leads him to a conclusion about his own future?
2. Why did Inman decide he would like to meet Ada?
3. Who comes to the scene Ada and Ruby are watching?
4. What does Inman do with a saw he and Veasey find?
5. What does Ruby believe is a waste of time?
6. Who comes across Stobrod and Pangle, asking them questions before lining them up in front of a tree and shooting them?
7. What happened to Ruby when she was only four?
8. What has caused an illness in Stobrod and his companions?
9. Who helps Ada after the death of her father?
10. Who attempts to seduce Inman by putting some sort of drug in his drink?
Discuss setting. What is significant about Cold Mountain? Why did the author chose to set his novel in this place? How do the lives of the people indigent to this area affect the plot? There are a lot of Indian legends in this area. How do those legends affect the developing plot? How would the novel be different without these legends?
Death is a theme of the novel. Why is death a theme of the novel? Why is Monroe obsessed with death? Is Monroe obsessed with his own death, or the death's of other people? How did the death of Monroe's wife affect his feelings about death? Is Inman obsessed with death? Why is Inman convinced every day will be his last?
Who is Ruby? What kind of education does Ruby have? Where does Ruby come from? How are Ruby and Ada similar? How are they different? Why does Ruby come to live at Black Cove? What does Ruby want to do there? What does Ruby do there? How does Ruby impact Ada's life? Is this for the better? How?
This section contains 867 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)