|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who joins Inman on his journey in the chapter, Exile and Brute Wandering?
2. What type of saw do Inman and Veasey find?
3. What has Ada done on the farm since her father's death?
4. What does Inman take with him when he leaves the hospital at the end of the first chapter?
5. What does Ada decide to sell in order to generate some money to help them through winter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ruby believe is a waste of time?
2. What does Junior do when he finds Inman in his wife's arms?
3. Why is Inman in a military hospital?
4. What story does Ada read to Ruby? Which character reminds Ruby of her father?
5. Who is Odell and what story does he tell Inman?
6. To whom does Inman send a letter shortly before leaving the hospital?
7. Why do three men attack Inman outside a settlement where he stops to get supplies?
8. What does Inman learn happened to the preacher and his lover?
9. What is the purpose of the spell, To Destroy Life?
10. Who does Inman dream about after seeing a dark-haired girl riding a horse?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Ada? Where has Ada come from? What kind of education does Ada have? Why? Is Ada's education typical of women who live in Cold Mountain? Why does Ada live in Cold Mountain? Why does Ada refuse to leave Cold Mountain when her father dies? How does Ada care for herself? Why does Ada not know how to cook?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss character growth. What is character growth? How is character growth represented in the novel's plot? Which characters show growth in this novel? How? Does Ada show character growth? Who helps Ada to grow? How does this growth affect he people around Ada? What about Ruby and Stobrod? Do they show growth? How?
Essay Topic 3
What lesson is Inman repeatedly told to learn? Why? Why do people ask this of Inman? What do they hope he will learn from this lesson? Does Inman learn this lesson? What does this lesson teach Inman?
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)