|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ruby do with the trapped animal from the cornfield?
(a) Feeds him to the cows.
(b) Gives him supplies and directions.
(c) Lets him go.
(d) Feeds him breakfast and threatens to shoot him if he steals from her again.
2. What type of animal does the new person Inman meets in the chapter, The Doing of It, raise?
3. What causes one of these men to believe Stobrod and Pangle are holy men?
(a) Their music.
(b) Their clothing.
(c) Their Bibles.
(d) Their speeches.
4. What does Ruby find in the trap she set in the cornfield?
(a) A squirrel.
(b) A raccoon.
(c) Her father.
(d) A Federal.
5. How did this person get his nickname?
(a) He was married to a woman named Inna.
(b) He was nearly beaten to death with a short, straight piece of wood.
(c) He once broke an expensive vase.
(d) He was expected to have been a girl.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ruby instruct Ada to do while she is in town trading for beef?
2. What wish does Inman make when he lies down to sleep in the chapter, A Vow to Bear?
3. Who is Sara, a woman Inman meets in the chapter, Bride Bed Full of Blood?
4. What is taken from Sara's home during the visit by the men who come to Sara's while Inman is still asleep in her bed?
5. How do Ruby and Ada dress as they set out to find and bury the bodies of Stobrod and Pangle?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are things awkward between Inman and Ada at first? How does this begin to change?
2. What does Inman find when he finally reaches Black Cove?
3. What decision does Inman make the following morning about his future?
4. Who or what does Ruby catch in her trap in the cornfield?
5. Who visits Black Cove while Ruby is in town trading apple cider for beef?
6. What does Inman do in exchange for a hot meal from a grief stricken mother?
7. Who do Ruby, Ada, Stobrod, and Inman run into on their way to Black Cove?
8. How does Inman end up at the home of a war widow?
9. What does Stobrod finally confess he wants from Ruby?
10. What does Stobrod tell Ruby and Ada to attempt to prove that he has changed?
This section contains 832 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)