|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the leader of these men order be done with Stobrod and Pangle after they get the answers they needed?
(a) He orders them hung.
(b) He orders them shot.
(c) He orders that they be allowed to go free.
(d) He orders them arrested.
2. What do Ruby and Ada find when they arrive at Stobrod's camp?
(a) Pangle dead, but Stobrod still alive.
(b) Stobrod dead, but Pangle still alive.
(c) Neither Stobrod or Pangle.
(d) Both Stobrod and Pangle dead where they were shot.
3. How did this person get his nickname?
(a) He was expected to have been a girl.
(b) He once broke an expensive vase.
(c) He was nearly beaten to death with a short, straight piece of wood.
(d) He was married to a woman named Inna.
4. How does Ruby react to Inman's eventual arrival?
(a) Ruby is indifferent, except for a concern over the amount of food they must share with him.
(b) Ruby is darkly jealous and refuses to allow him into their camp.
(c) Ruby falls deeply in love and begins to flirt with Inman.
(d) Ruby insists Ada does not need a man.
5. Why does Inman's progress begin to slow in the chapter, The Doing of It?
(a) Inman is beginning to doubt his decision to walk away from his committment to the army and is considering returning.
(b) Inman has begun to starve to death and the malnutrition is making him so sick he cannot walk very well.
(c) Inman has contracted an illness in his chest, is running a fever, and is delirious.
(d) Inman is injured, both from a wound to the head and the wound in his neck from the war battle.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Inman read to Ada while she makes dinner after his arrival?
2. Who tells Ruby and Ada about the shooting of Stobrod and Pangle?
3. What does Inman learn about this new person that leaves him feeling as though solitude might not be the answer?
4. Who joins Ada and Ruby for supper as they enjoy what will most likely be their final dinner outside that fall?
5. Who comes to visit while Ada is at Black Cove alone in the chapter, A Satisfied Mind?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who once lived in the village that Ruby and Ada have brought Stobrod to?
2. Who do Ruby, Ada, Stobrod, and Inman run into on their way to Black Cove?
3. What does Inman do in exchange for a hot meal from a grief stricken mother?
4. What does Stobrod tell Ruby and Ada to attempt to prove that he has changed?
5. What does Stobrod finally confess he wants from Ruby?
6. What has caused an illness in Stobrod and his companions?
7. What decision does Inman make the following morning about his future?
8. How does Ada react when she first sees Inman? Does Ada react as Inman imagined she would?
9. Who visits Black Cove while Ruby is in town trading apple cider for beef?
10. Who helps Inman with his injuries?
This section contains 899 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)