|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ada hear that causes her to return to Inman?
(a) A gun shot.
(b) Stobrod's voice yelling for help.
(c) The distinctive sound of Inman's gun.
(d) Inman's voice yelling for help.
2. How did this person come to compose his own music?
(a) He was inspired by the death and destruction he witnessed in the war.
(b) He was inspired by a dying girl he was paid to perform for.
(c) He was inspired by the death of the woman he loved.
(d) He was inspired by his daughter.
3. What map does Inman follow on the next leg of his journey in the chapter, The Doing of It?
(a) A map given to him by Lila.
(b) A map given to him by the yellow slave.
(c) A map given to him by Veasey.
(d) A map given to him by the Federals.
4. Why has Inman begun to fast as he reaches Cold Mountain?
(a) So he will die quickly if Ada refuses him.
(b) So he can cross the portal at Shining Rock if Ada refuses him.
(c) So he can enjoy a huge feast when he finds Ada.
(d) So he will be skinny and handsome for Ada.
5. What does Ada tell Inman about her relationship with Ruby?
(a) That Ruby is her illegitimate sister.
(b) That Ruby has become her lover.
(c) That Ruby is her child.
(d) That Ruby is not a servant and will not take orders.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ruby do with the trapped animal from the cornfield?
2. What type of animal does the new person Inman meets in the chapter, The Doing of It, raise?
3. Why does Inman's progress begin to slow in the chapter, The Doing of It?
4. What is the first thing Inman does when he finally finds Ada?
5. What reason does Stobrod give for wanting to live at Black Cove?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who tells Ruby and Ada about the shooting of Pangle and Stobrod? How did this witness survive?
2. What does Inman learn about his new companion that leads him to a conclusion about his own future?
3. What does Stobrod finally confess he wants from Ruby?
4. Who comes across Stobrod and Pangle, asking them questions before lining them up in front of a tree and shooting them?
5. What does Stobrod tell Ruby and Ada to attempt to prove that he has changed?
6. Why are things awkward between Inman and Ada at first? How does this begin to change?
7. Who attacks Sara's home while Inman is there?
8. What animal does Inman dream about and later feel responsible for killing?
9. What does Inman do in exchange for a hot meal from a grief stricken mother?
10. How does Inman end up at the home of a war widow?
This section contains 1,031 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)