|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Claire Duchutes?
(a) Ruby's mother.
(b) Monroe's mother.
(c) Inman's mother.
(d) Ada's mother.
2. Who invites Inman to join their camp?
(a) A Confederate army unit.
(b) A group of fugitives fleeing the Federals in Tennessee.
(c) A group of gypsies downstream from him.
(d) A group of deserters hiding from the Home Guard.
3. Who believes parties are a waste of time and energy?
4. Who saves Inman's companion from being shot in a standoff with a drunk?
(a) The local sheriff.
(c) A prostitute named Tildy.
(d) The barkeeper.
5. Where was Stobrod the last time Ruby heard of him?
(a) In the hospital in Charleston.
(b) In the Home Guard roaming Cold Mountain.
(c) In the army at Sharpsburg.
(d) In prison.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Ruby's father?
2. Who tells Ada at a Christmas party that she should marry Inman?
3. What do Ruby and Ada have in common?
4. While cooking corn mash, Inman smells what downstream?
5. What crime does this farmer believe his wife has committed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What story does Ada read to Ruby? Which character reminds Ruby of her father?
2. Who does Ada think of as she watches the piano moved out of the house?
3. Why do three men attack Inman outside a settlement where he stops to get supplies?
4. What group of people stop at Black Cove on their way to Camden, South Carolina?
5. What is Ada's father doing when he dies?
6. Who does Inman dream about after seeing a dark-haired girl riding a horse?
7. What scene do Ada and Ruby stumble on on their way back to Black Cove?
8. What is the purpose of the spell, To Destroy Life?
9. Why does Ada decide to sell her piano?
10. Who comes to the scene Ada and Ruby are watching?
This section contains 582 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)