|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does a neighbor have such a grudge against Stobrod that he often shoots at him when he passes his farm?
(a) Stobrod got him arrested by distilling illegal liquor on his property.
(b) Stobrod burned down his house while helping him burn logs.
(c) Stobrod leaves him alone, causing him to be mauled by a bear.
(d) Stobrod left him alone, causing him to become trapped under some logs.
2. Who does Inman run into in the middle of the night at Deep River?
(a) A farmer with a wounded bull.
(b) A preacher.
(c) A war widow.
(d) A Home Guardsman.
3. Why did Ada believe she was the product of a marriage of convenience?
(a) Because her father told her she was.
(b) Because her parents divorced soon after her birth.
(c) Because her parents were older when they married.
(d) Because her mother told her she was.
4. What does Inman do with the preacher?
(a) Inman knocks him out and runs away while he is unconscious.
(b) Inman leaves him alone in the woods, naked and without a weapon.
(c) Inman ties him to a tree with a confession written above him.
(d) Inman turns him over to the local law.
5. Why does Inman become upset about Ada's reaction to his story?
(a) Ada says the story is false.
(b) Ada belittles Inman for believing in the story.
(c) Ada calls the story folkloric.
(d) Ada laughs at the story.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of saw do Inman and Veasey find?
2. What gun does Inman notice in a settlement where he stops to pick up supplies?
3. What happens to Inman after he drinks some fluid Lila gave him?
4. Which general does Inman claim he prefers?
5. What kind of gun does Inman's companion carry?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Inman seek out the blind man and speak to him about the war and his feelings on being born without eyes?
2. Why is Inman in a military hospital?
3. Why do three men attack Inman outside a settlement where he stops to get supplies?
4. What story does Ada read to Ruby? Which character reminds Ruby of her father?
5. What does Ruby believe is a waste of time?
6. Why have Ada and her father moved to Black Cove?
7. In what city was Ada raised and educated?
8. What is the purpose of the spell, To Destroy Life?
9. What group of people stop at Black Cove on their way to Camden, South Carolina?
10. Who does Inman dream about after seeing a dark-haired girl riding a horse?
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)