|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did a man see a black woman placed in a cage and left for the buzzards to torment?
(b) South Carolina.
2. How is Teague dressed?
(a) Like a mountain man.
(b) Like a soldier.
(c) Like a law man.
(d) Like a preacher.
3. What confession does the person Inman meets at Deep River make?
(a) That he has stolen food from a nearby store.
(b) That he has impregnanted a woman not his fiancee.
(c) That she has run away from her husband with all the family money.
(d) That she has killed her husband.
4. Why is a group of people drawn to the street underneath the window of a prisoner?
(a) Because the prisoner is claiming that he was arrested on false charges and the real criminal is one of the policemen.
(b) Because the prisoner is claiming police brutality.
(c) Because the prisoner is explaining how he is a war hero who only came home to see his wife.
(d) Because the prisoner is threatening to commit suicide.
5. What is Ada looking for when she goes searching in the basement?
(a) Signs of rodents.
(b) Champagne left from a party.
(c) Wine she thinks her father hid there.
(d) A rare book her father kept there.
Short Answer Questions
1. What crime does this farmer believe his wife has committed?
2. Who is Swimmer and why does Inman think about him after reading the news?
3. Who is the woman named Laura that Inman meets in the chapter, Life Any Other Thing, a Gift?
4. What vision does Ada see when Esco encourages her to look backwards down a well in a mirror?
5. What object does Ruby instruct Ada to create in the chapter, In Place of the Truth?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Ada think of as she watches the piano moved out of the house?
2. What did Inman find on the battlefield that he kept hidden throughout his medical ordeal?
3. When Inman stops to make corn mush, what does he smell that leads him further down the river?
4. Why have Ada and her father moved to Black Cove?
5. What does Inman do with a saw he and Veasey find?
6. What is the purpose of the spell, To Destroy Life?
7. Why do three men attack Inman outside a settlement where he stops to get supplies?
8. What is the main topic of conversation when Ada and Ruby visit Monroe's friend, Mrs. McKennet?
9. What story does Ada read to Ruby? Which character reminds Ruby of her father?
10. In what city was Ada raised and educated?
This section contains 837 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)