|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who introduced Inman to Ada?
(c) Sally Swanger.
2. What kind of food does Inman find in the chapter Exile and Brute Wandering?
(a) Honey and catfish.
(b) A fresh vegetable garden.
(c) Cheese and chicken.
(d) Fresh deer meat.
3. What story does Ada recall Inman telling her?
(a) An Indian story about the origins of Cold Mountain.
(b) The story of his birth and early childhood.
(c) How Swimmer once taught him a spell called To Cause Grave Illness.
(d) An Indian story about a tribe's inability to enter the hidden room behind Shining Rock.
4. Who do Ada and Ruby go to visit while in town in the chapter, Source and Root?
(a) Sally, a friend of Inman's.
(b) Mrs. McKennet, a friend of Monroe's.
(c) Stobrod Trewes, Ruby's father.
(d) Teague, the leader of the Home Guard.
5. What does the farmer insist Inman do with his wife after catching them in a lover's embrace?
(a) Kill her.
(b) Marry her.
(c) Kill himself.
(d) Make love to her.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does a young man take Ada during this party?
2. Why did Monroe not marry Ada's mother when they were both younger?
3. What did Ada later learn happened to this young man who spent time alone with her during her final party in Charleston?
4. What text is Balis, Inman's neighbor in the hospital, translating into English?
5. What gun does Inman notice in a settlement where he stops to pick up supplies?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Inman find on the battlefield that he kept hidden throughout his medical ordeal?
2. What happened to Ruby when she was only four?
3. What does Inman leave money for even as he steals it?
4. What is the main topic of conversation when Ada and Ruby visit Monroe's friend, Mrs. McKennet?
5. What happens when Inman attempts to cross a river using the canoe of a young Indian woman?
6. What story does Ada read to Ruby? Which character reminds Ruby of her father?
7. Why did Inman decide he would like to meet Ada?
8. To whom does Inman send a letter shortly before leaving the hospital?
9. Who is Balis? What manuscript is he working on?
10. Why have Ada and her father moved to Black Cove?
This section contains 821 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)