|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What book does Inman read while in the hospital?
(a) Uncle Tom's Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe.
(b) Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte.
(c) Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain.
(d) Travels by William Bartram.
2. Who believes parties are a waste of time and energy?
3. What do Ruby and Ada have in common?
(a) They were both raised without mothers.
(b) They are both well educated.
(c) They are both rich, spoiled young women.
(d) They are both orphans.
4. What kind of gun does Inman's companion carry?
(a) A LeMat's pistol.
(b) A Whitworth .45 riffle.
(c) A Colt.
(d) A Remington.
5. Why is a group of people drawn to the street underneath the window of a prisoner?
(a) Because the prisoner is explaining how he is a war hero who only came home to see his wife.
(b) Because the prisoner is claiming police brutality.
(c) Because the prisoner is threatening to commit suicide.
(d) Because the prisoner is claiming that he was arrested on false charges and the real criminal is one of the policemen.
Short Answer Questions
1. While cooking corn mash, Inman smells what downstream?
2. What character in the story Ada reads to Ruby does Ruby believe resembles her father?
3. What confession does the person Inman meets at Deep River make?
4. Who does Ruby suggest came up with the idea of celebrating Thanksgiving?
5. How does Inman escape his ordeal after leaving the farmer's home?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Inman stops to make corn mush, what does he smell that leads him further down the river?
2. Inman comes across a preacher in the middle of the night. What does Inman stop the preacher from doing?
3. What does Inman do with a saw he and Veasey find?
4. Why does Ada decide to sell her piano?
5. Who comes to the scene Ada and Ruby are watching?
6. Who is Balis? What manuscript is he working on?
7. What does Inman leave money for even as he steals it?
8. Who helps Ada after the death of her father?
9. What does Ruby believe is a waste of time?
10. Why does Inman seek out the blind man and speak to him about the war and his feelings on being born without eyes?
This section contains 777 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)