|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Inman meet Ada for the first time?
(a) At the local store.
(b) At a friend's house.
(c) At church.
(d) At the local school.
2. What is the topic of conversation when Ruby and Ada visit a friend in the chapter Source and Root?
(a) The war and the horrible consequences.
(b) The war and the romance surrounding it.
(c) The war and the nobility of the sacrifice the men have made.
(d) The war and the wounded from their town.
3. What does Inman read about in the newspaper while in town?
(a) About the Home Guard and the Cherokees fighting the Federals.
(b) About the attacks by Federals against women and children in Tennessee.
(c) About the most recent battles in the war.
(d) About the death of a dear friend in the war.
4. Why did Monroe not marry Ada's mother when they were both younger?
(a) He did not meet her till they were older.
(b) She was already married to someone else.
(c) Her father would not allow the marriage to take place.
(d) He caught her kissing another man.
5. What do Ruby and Ada have in common?
(a) They were both raised without mothers.
(b) They are both orphans.
(c) They are both rich, spoiled young women.
(d) They are both well educated.
Short Answer Questions
1. What confession does the person Inman meets at Deep River make?
2. Why is a group of people drawn to the street underneath the window of a prisoner?
3. What does Ruby suggest Ada sell to generate some money to help them survive the winter?
4. What story does Ada recall Inman telling her?
5. After the death of her father, what does Ada learn about her financial situation?
Short Essay Questions
1. On her last night in Charleston, Ada went out on the lake with what person? What do they discuss?
2. Inman comes across a preacher in the middle of the night. What does Inman stop the preacher from doing?
3. What scene do Ada and Ruby stumble on on their way back to Black Cove?
4. Who joins Inman on his journey in the chapter, Exile and Brute Wandering?
5. What did Inman find on the battlefield that he kept hidden throughout his medical ordeal?
6. What surprises Ada about the circumstances of her conception and birth?
7. What does Ruby believe is a waste of time?
8. What does Inman do with a saw he and Veasey find?
9. What is Ada's father doing when he dies?
10. What story does Ada read to Ruby? Which character reminds Ruby of her father?
This section contains 872 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)