|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was Monroe's favorite poet?
2. Who is the woman named Laura that Inman meets in the chapter, Life Any Other Thing, a Gift?
(a) Laura is the wife of a farmer Inman helps by cutting up a bull that has died in the river by his farm.
(b) Laura is the war widow Inman meets beside Deep River.
(c) Laura is the woman the preacher has gotten pregnant and wants to kill to hide his indiscretion.
(d) Laura is the sister of a Home Guardsmen who ambushes Inman at Deep River.
3. Who do Ada and Ruby go to visit while in town in the chapter, Source and Root?
(a) Stobrod Trewes, Ruby's father.
(b) Mrs. McKennet, a friend of Monroe's.
(c) Sally, a friend of Inman's.
(d) Teague, the leader of the Home Guard.
4. Where are the guests who visit Black Cove going?
(a) Dallas, Texas.
(b) Casper, Wyoming.
(c) Camden, South Carolina.
(d) Nashville, Tennessee.
5. Who is Waldo, mentioned in the chapter Ashes of Roses?
(a) A hog.
(b) A chicken.
(c) A horse.
(d) A cow.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ada use to construct the item Ruby has told her to create?
2. What does Inman do with the preacher?
3. What does the blind man answer when Inman asks if he would like to be able to see for ten minutes?
4. At whose house did Ada attend her final party in Charleston?
5. What does Ruby talk extensively about as she and Ada walk into town in the chapter, Source and Root?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Ada's father doing when he dies?
2. What does Ruby instruct Ada to create?
3. What scene do Ada and Ruby stumble on on their way back to Black Cove?
4. What did Inman find on the battlefield that he kept hidden throughout his medical ordeal?
5. What story does Ada read to Ruby? Which character reminds Ruby of her father?
6. What is the purpose of the spell, To Destroy Life?
7. Inman comes across a preacher in the middle of the night. What does Inman stop the preacher from doing?
8. What is the main topic of conversation when Ada and Ruby visit Monroe's friend, Mrs. McKennet?
9. What surprises Ada about the circumstances of her conception and birth?
10. What does Ada find in the basement? What does Ruby insist they do with it?
This section contains 822 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)