|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Inman take with him when he leaves the hospital at the end of the first chapter?
(a) Inman takes his readied haversack and a picture he admired that belonged to his now dead neighbor.
(b) Inman takes his readied haversack and the manuscript Balis was working on.
(c) Inman takes a book and money he took from his neighbor who has died.
(d) Inman takes nothing but a change of clothes.
2. Why did Ada believe she was the product of a marriage of convenience?
(a) Because her parents divorced soon after her birth.
(b) Because her parents were older when they married.
(c) Because her father told her she was.
(d) Because her mother told her she was.
3. What character in the story Ada reads to Ruby does Ruby believe resembles her father?
(d) Sir Gawain.
4. Who is Waldo, mentioned in the chapter Ashes of Roses?
(a) A hog.
(b) A chicken.
(c) A horse.
(d) A cow.
5. What side of the war does Inman fight on?
(c) Both. Inman is a neutral scout.
(d) Neither. Inman is not a soldier.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the farmer insist Inman do with his wife after catching them in a lover's embrace?
2. What did Ada's father often preach about during church services?
3. From whom is the letter Ruby brings Ada in the chapter, In Place of the Truth?
4. What does Veasey believe they should do with the saw?
5. How long has Ada lived in Black Cove?
Short Essay Questions
1. What group of people stop at Black Cove on their way to Camden, South Carolina?
2. To whom does Junior sell Inman and Veasey for $5 a head?
3. What scene do Ada and Ruby stumble on on their way back to Black Cove?
4. What does Inman leave money for even as he steals it?
5. Why is Inman in a military hospital?
6. Who is Balis? What manuscript is he working on?
7. What does Ada find in the basement? What does Ruby insist they do with it?
8. What did Inman find on the battlefield that he kept hidden throughout his medical ordeal?
9. To whom does Inman send a letter shortly before leaving the hospital?
10. What is the purpose of the spell, To Destroy Life?
This section contains 703 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)