|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Inman read about in the newspaper while in town?
(a) About the most recent battles in the war.
(b) About the attacks by Federals against women and children in Tennessee.
(c) About the death of a dear friend in the war.
(d) About the Home Guard and the Cherokees fighting the Federals.
2. What does Ruby talk extensively about as she and Ada walk into town in the chapter, Source and Root?
3. What contest do Ada and Ruby have one night in the chapter, In Place of the Truth?
(a) A hair braiding competition.
(b) A milking competition.
(c) A story writing competition.
(d) A horse riding competition.
4. Where does Inman dream of living one day?
(a) In the flatlands he is traveling through.
(b) In a cabin high in the moutains.
(c) At Black Cove with Ada.
(d) In a big city in the East.
5. Who was Monroe's favorite poet?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Ruby's father?
2. What does Inman do to help Laura?
3. What does Inman take with him when he leaves the hospital at the end of the first chapter?
4. How does Inman escape his ordeal after leaving the farmer's home?
5. What income did Ada and her father live on?
Short Essay Questions
1. On her last night in Charleston, Ada went out on the lake with what person? What do they discuss?
2. To whom does Junior sell Inman and Veasey for $5 a head?
3. Who does Ada think of as she watches the piano moved out of the house?
4. What is the purpose of the spell, To Destroy Life?
5. What surprises Ada about the circumstances of her conception and birth?
6. Who comes to the scene Ada and Ruby are watching?
7. What does Ruby believe is a waste of time?
8. What is the main topic of conversation when Ada and Ruby visit Monroe's friend, Mrs. McKennet?
9. What does Inman do with a saw he and Veasey find?
10. To whom does Inman send a letter shortly before leaving the hospital?
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)