|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Inman meet who is in search of a slave he fell in love with on his father's prosperous farm?
2. Who do Ada and Ruby go to visit while in town in the chapter, Source and Root?
(a) Stobrod Trewes, Ruby's father.
(b) Sally, a friend of Inman's.
(c) Teague, the leader of the Home Guard.
(d) Mrs. McKennet, a friend of Monroe's.
3. Why did Ada believe she was the product of a marriage of convenience?
(a) Because her mother told her she was.
(b) Because her father told her she was.
(c) Because her parents were older when they married.
(d) Because her parents divorced soon after her birth.
4. After the death of her father, what does Ada learn about her financial situation?
(a) Ada has plenty of money to live on.
(b) There is no money left.
(c) The farm was left to Ada's cousin, making her dependent on family for income.
(d) Ada should return to Charleston to inherit her money.
5. What happens to Veasey and Inman after they leave the farmer's home?
(a) They are placed in a new army regiment.
(b) They are shot by the Home Guard.
(c) They are forced to pledge allegiance to the Union.
(d) They are put in jail.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Ruby come to Black Cove?
2. What caused Ruby to spend the night in the woods when she is only four?
3. Who cuts the face of Inman's companion for haggling too much over price?
4. What character in the story Ada reads to Ruby does Ruby believe resembles her father?
5. What crime does this farmer believe his wife has committed?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who attempts to seduce Inman by putting some sort of drug in his drink?
2. What surprises Ada about the circumstances of her conception and birth?
3. What is the main topic of conversation when Ada and Ruby visit Monroe's friend, Mrs. McKennet?
4. Why is Inman in a military hospital?
5. On her last night in Charleston, Ada went out on the lake with what person? What do they discuss?
6. Who helps Ada after the death of her father?
7. What happened to Ruby when she was only four?
8. When Inman stops to make corn mush, what does he smell that leads him further down the river?
9. What does Ada find in the basement? What does Ruby insist they do with it?
10. What does Inman do with a saw he and Veasey find?
This section contains 803 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)