|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Inman walk into town?
(a) To post a letter.
(b) To show the doctors he is ready to return to his unit.
(c) To buy supplies
(d) To visit a friend.
2. What skill does Ada not have that she might need to survive on her own?
(a) Ada cannot milk a cow.
(b) Ada cannot sew.
(c) Ada cannot cook.
(d) Ada cannot grow vegetables.
3. Who joins Inman on his journey in the chapter, Exile and Brute Wandering?
(a) The Home Guardsman, Teague.
(b) His childhood friend, Swimmer.
(c) The blind man from the military hospital.
(d) The preacher, Solomon Veasey.
4. What does Inman take with him when he leaves the hospital at the end of the first chapter?
(a) Inman takes nothing but a change of clothes.
(b) Inman takes his readied haversack and the manuscript Balis was working on.
(c) Inman takes a book and money he took from his neighbor who has died.
(d) Inman takes his readied haversack and a picture he admired that belonged to his now dead neighbor.
5. What do Ruby and Ada have in common?
(a) They were both raised without mothers.
(b) They are both rich, spoiled young women.
(c) They are both orphans.
(d) They are both well educated.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which general does Inman claim he prefers?
2. How long has Ada lived in Black Cove?
3. What story does Ada read to Ruby in the chapter Ashes of Roses?
4. What is Ada looking for when she goes searching in the basement?
5. Who invites Inman to join their camp?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Inman find on the battlefield that he kept hidden throughout his medical ordeal?
2. Who does Inman dream about after seeing a dark-haired girl riding a horse?
3. Who does Ada think of as she watches the piano moved out of the house?
4. What scene do Ada and Ruby stumble on on their way back to Black Cove?
5. What does Ruby instruct Ada to create?
6. Why do three men attack Inman outside a settlement where he stops to get supplies?
7. What is the purpose of the spell, To Destroy Life?
8. Why does Ada decide to sell her piano?
9. When Inman stops to make corn mush, what does he smell that leads him further down the river?
10. In what city was Ada raised and educated?
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)