|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Ruby come to Black Cove?
(a) Ruby wants to befriend Ada.
(b) Ruby wants to buy Ada's animals.
(c) Ruby wants to offer her services to Ada.
(d) Ruby wants to buy Black Cove.
2. What do Ruby and Ada do when these visitors surprise them at Black Cove while they are preparing the winter garden?
(a) Feed them a chicken dinner and give them supplies.
(b) Run away and hide.
(c) Offer up their money and a few animals for food.
(d) Cowar as the visitors raid their supplies.
3. Who is Claire Duchutes?
(a) Inman's mother.
(b) Ruby's mother.
(c) Monroe's mother.
(d) Ada's mother.
4. What does Ada find in the basement of her house?
(a) A one-hundred pound bag of coffee.
(b) A stack of rare books.
(c) A nest of rats.
(d) A case of champagne.
5. What does Inman read about in the newspaper while in town?
(a) About the death of a dear friend in the war.
(b) About the attacks by Federals against women and children in Tennessee.
(c) About the Home Guard and the Cherokees fighting the Federals.
(d) About the most recent battles in the war.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Ada later learn happened to this young man who spent time alone with her during her final party in Charleston?
2. Who believes parties are a waste of time and energy?
3. What type of saw do Inman and Veasey find?
4. What kind of food does Inman find in the chapter Exile and Brute Wandering?
5. Who arrives while Ada and Ruby listen to the prisoner yelling from his second story prison cell?
Short Essay Questions
1. What has caused an illness in Stobrod and his companions?
2. What does Junior do when he finds Inman in his wife's arms?
3. Who once lived in the village that Ruby and Ada have brought Stobrod to?
4. What story does Ada read to Ruby? Which character reminds Ruby of her father?
5. What does Inman do with a saw he and Veasey find?
6. Who do Ruby, Ada, Stobrod, and Inman run into on their way to Black Cove?
7. What animal does Inman dream about and later feel responsible for killing?
8. Why did Inman decide he would like to meet Ada?
9. Who visits Black Cove while Ruby is in town trading apple cider for beef?
10. When Inman stops to make corn mush, what does he smell that leads him further down the river?
This section contains 748 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)