|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the woman named Laura that Inman meets in the chapter, Life Any Other Thing, a Gift?
(a) Laura is the wife of a farmer Inman helps by cutting up a bull that has died in the river by his farm.
(b) Laura is the sister of a Home Guardsmen who ambushes Inman at Deep River.
(c) Laura is the woman the preacher has gotten pregnant and wants to kill to hide his indiscretion.
(d) Laura is the war widow Inman meets beside Deep River.
2. What did Ada's father often preach about during church services?
(a) Why man is doomed to failure.
(b) Why man was created.
(c) Why man is burdened with free will.
(d) Why man is born to die.
3. Who was Monroe's favorite poet?
4. Who does Inman meet who is in search of a slave he fell in love with on his father's prosperous farm?
5. What is the purpose of the spell Inman speaks?
(a) To cause an enemy to catch a terrible, disfiguring illness.
(b) To cause an enemy to die in his sleep.
(c) To send an enemy to jail for their crimes.
(d) To cause one's enemies to go to Nightland alone, covered in dog excrement, and blue with despair.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Inman walk into town?
2. Where does Inman dream of living one day?
3. Who tells Ada at a Christmas party that she should marry Inman?
4. How does Inman escape his ordeal after leaving the farmer's home?
5. Who believes parties are a waste of time and energy?
Short Essay Questions
1. To whom does Junior sell Inman and Veasey for $5 a head?
2. What do Ada and Ruby find when they come to Stobrod's camp?
3. What surprises Ada about the circumstances of her conception and birth?
4. What did Inman find on the battlefield that he kept hidden throughout his medical ordeal?
5. What does Inman do in exchange for a hot meal from a grief stricken mother?
6. Who helps Inman with his injuries?
7. Why does Ruby put a trap in the corn field? Why does Ada instruct her to pad the teeth on the trap?
8. When Inman stops to make corn mush, what does he smell that leads him further down the river?
9. Why is Inman in a military hospital?
10. What scene do Ada and Ruby stumble on on their way back to Black Cove?
This section contains 778 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)